It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• anyone have any experience with REGLAN?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-21-2006, 09:49 AM   #1
    carisa789
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carisa789 HB User
    anyone have any experience with REGLAN?

I am thinking about starting a drug called reglan. Has it worked for anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
    gnznroses
    (male)

gnznroses HB User
    Re: anyone have any experience with REGLAN?

i was prescribed it. refused to take it after hearing peoples' experience with it.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-21-2006 at 11:10 AM. Reason: posted commercial websites - promoting other forums

Old 10-23-2006, 07:58 PM   #3
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

I have 2 weeks' experience with it - 5mg before every meal.

I guess I'll have to get back to you on it. A few days ago 2 days in a row I had "tremors" (like caffeine overload) at the end of the work day, and now I am experiencing rather regular "heart palpitations".

I'm going to call the doc about this. But, I'm not sure it's Reglan because even well before I had the watershed moment of knowing I had (reflux problems), I was having heart palpitation episodes, never mind periodically since then. So it could be just my irritated stomach/esophagus giving it back to me.

I have been concerned about Reglan since I 1st learned about it. But it's the only (legal) choice for gastroparesis. I'm also willing to try things because they might help and never affect me poorly. I think 1 should always give it a shot, but be willing to give it up if it really does hurt you.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:39 PM   #4
    hp8
    (male)

hp8 HB User

I take the Canadian equivalent called domperidone which is not sold in the US.
    Its for treatment of gastroperesis but I only take it when needed. When my stomach acts up, and can't get rid of the food fast enough, makes me nauseous. The dom before meals calms it down after a couple days of use, 3 times a day. Quite effective for me but theres a warning in it for women who are pregnant.

Old 10-24-2006, 02:06 AM   #5
    violaa
    (female)

violaa HB User

i took it it made me shake and jerk so bad i fell off the bed i pulled my hair couldnt control it it was bad.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:13 AM   #6
    carisa789
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carisa789 HB User

Thank you guys. It's so hard to know what to do.

Ol'Line Rebel-Please keep me posted on how it is working for you.

Carisa

Old 10-24-2006, 11:58 AM   #7
    blondy2061h
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

blondy2061h HB User

Domperidone is a different drug from Reglan and proven to cause fewer side effects.

I took 10mg of Reglan 4 times a day for awhile. I was constantly tired, I had severe headaches, it didn't help my reflux and I got major depression. I was cut down to 10mg two times per day, but eventually took myself off it completely.

I use it on an as needed basis now and I don't have side effects from that and it helps.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:08 AM   #8
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

carisa,

I think I can vouch now for Reglan causing me a bit of neurological problems. I mentioned the tremors last week (which I do think are related), and this week in addition to tiny "twitching" inside my torso, my heart has been pounding and it's obvious I've been having premature atrial contractions (PACs).

The latter was so bad I left work Wed feeling also dizzy and foggy, as well as having a strange "gag reflex" that just seemed to be there, regardless of food or not, which I could feel in my throat as well as the tickling near my stomach (sort of like when you have tons of liquid in your stomach and no solids - feels like you could easily "lose it").

Well, very early Thurs morning the pounding heart/short breaths woke me up, and I ended up going to the ER primarily because I also felt a pain in my central heart area. My biggest fear was that I have permanently damaged myself. The 1st doc suggested I just had PACs, but the 2nd doc (shift change) said everything looked normal (hours of monitoring). I'm wondering if in reality the Reglan just made my hypersensitive, because I could feel my pulse just all by itself all over my body this week.

The good thing is I went home, and stayed home - no work - and felt better. I walked my dog a long way and then took a nap. While I was groggy getting ready for dinner, I think yesterday was the real turning point in getting over effects from the drugs. I still think I have some internal twitching, but the heart "pounding" isn't obvious to me and it seems I have fewer obvious PACs.

BTW, while I'm disappointed this has happened to me on low dosage for only 2 weeks, I think Reglan was helping me. While going through the heart "problems", I hardly had any burping and my throat never felt better!

I would still suggest trying it - but if and AS SOON AS you get ANY of the "common" side effects related to "twitching" (hand tremors, heart pounding, etc), or if you get severe depression (I didn't), CALL YOUR DOC and ask for advice. Don't wait a week as I.

Last edited by Ol'Line Rebel; 10-27-2006 at 06:11 AM.

Old 10-28-2006, 06:41 PM   #9
    carisa789
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carisa789 HB User

I don't know, I'm leaning toward not trying it now. As of the last week, I believe the Nexium is actually starting to work. It's the first PPI that has does something for me. The heart palps sound pretty scary, I have anxiety issues as it is. I think I'll wait. Thank you for sharing your experience. Hopefully, if I do end up trying it I won't have the same issues. Good luck!

Carisa

Old 12-18-2006, 08:35 AM   #10
    Crystalgray
    (female)

Crystalgray HB User

Carisa,

Did you ever try Reglan? I am thinking about asking my doctor for a prescription but I am a little worried after reading the posting made to your question. Has it helped you any?

Closed Thread