HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acid Reflux / GERD (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/)
-   -   HELP ...is it GERD (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/439527-help-gerd.html)

jules174 10-22-2006 02:58 AM

HELP ...is it GERD

:confused: 6 weeks ago I went to my GP with these symptoms:

Breathlessness
Chest pain
Rib pain
Upper back pain
Palpations
Heartburn(acid)
Burping

He prescribed anti dep and said anxiety( which I have suffered from but never had meds) Unconvinced this is anxiety I buy an over the counter stomach ulcer test kit. This test showed positive to the infection of Helicobater pylori which is linked to stomach ulcers. I went back to my GP armed with the kit and result, he then precribed 2 different sorts of anti bios and Omeprazole 20mg(gastro-resistant tablets) and an apointment to go back in 2wks. After 2 wks I went back and explained I still had the same symptoms, he told me it was def anxiety. 2 yrs ago because of these symptoms I had a chest x-ray, ecgs, treadmill ecg, heart tape test as I was convinced it was heart related, all tests were clear.. These symptoms are driving me mad and for the past couple of weeks I have been posting on the anxiety board. But stumbled a couple of days ago on to this 1, I've read many posts and I seem to relate more to this board. I am wondering if this is GERD, I realise that Gerd and anxiety can be related. I would really appreciate a Gerd sufferer to post me there symptoms and there "take" on whats been going on for me. Cheers:confused:

hovan 10-22-2006 07:38 AM

Re: HELP ...is it GERD

It sounds like gerd to me. I too had chest pain, shortness of breath and a hundred other symptoms that pointed to heart problems. I have also had terrible post nasal drip and heavy mucus in my throat. I went for a heart catheterization to find out it was not my heart. This week I went to an ENT and am now scheduled for a sinus ct, allergy testing, and most likely a scope. In the meantime, he prescribed nexium. I have only been on it two days and can already feel a difference. Gerd is not hard to diagnos, but it seems to disquise itself with a wide variety of symptoms, some of which might not be obvious.

jules174 10-22-2006 07:54 AM

Hovan Cheers for reply, I go back to docs on friday and will insist on the med u mentioned. To be honest I am really relieved as these symptoms have really consumed my life just lately xx Thankyou

hovan 10-22-2006 01:39 PM

Jules, I am new to this condition and new to the boards. I am learning fast. Look for posts by Sneezydiva. I try to read all she has to say about the subject. She is great, very knowledgeable and has had problems much longer than I have. Read her recommendations..Hope you feel better...by the way, She advised two ppi's a day. I am only taking one (nexium) and one otc prilosec at night. I have to talk to my doc about 2. He said try one otc to see how I do. Problem, must insurance companies only pay for one.. he is trying to save me some money, but I see two in my future. He did say two is the recommened dose.... good luck and find sneezydiva...she is a big help

MAD MAZ 10-23-2006 02:35 PM

Jules, when you go to your doctors on Friday ask him to make a appointment at the hospital for a breath test to make sure you no longer have the bug. This is very important as you may still have it in your stomach, sometimes pepole need to have a second lot of antibiotics. The breath test is the most accurate test to check if the bug has been purged.

If you still have the bug, it may be why you still are having ongoing problems and symptoms, trust me on this one.

Take care, all the best.

Mandy xXx

violaa 10-24-2006 02:17 AM

hi yes i have the same systems as you and the heart pulpatations cause when my chest starts hurting it scares me so i go into an anxxity attack.couldnt count how many times i went to er lol not funny at the time acid reflux hurts and it hurts bad so good luck 2 u your in my prayers.oh and i also take previcid it works better for me then nexaum and i also take doc presribed zantac

jules174 10-24-2006 03:31 AM

Cheers Mandi,
I will defo follow ur advice for GPs on friday x How did your night go last night?

Viola,
Can you relate to all my symptoms???

MAD MAZ 10-24-2006 08:16 AM

My night was ok thanks, But I have been without electic all day so have not been the computer, The electic man has cut the wire to the internet so it could go on me anytime, they can not come out and fix it until friday!!!

take care...Mandy

jules174 10-24-2006 09:26 AM

Glad u managed your night out without an axniety:)

Thanks 4 advice over GP appointment on friday and I will defo be asking for that test. Have thought about getting another over the counter test again as that proved positive for the infection which lead to anti bios..:dizzy:

MAD MAZ 10-24-2006 01:13 PM

Thats a good idea, to get a nother test, try and do it before firday!!
Also If you are still having problems tell him that you need to have a Endoscopy to see If you have a ulcer.

I have had one and Its no big thing....Mandyxxx

violaa 10-25-2006 03:05 AM

[QUOTE=jules174]Cheers Mandi,
I will defo follow ur advice for GPs on friday x How did your night go last night?

Viola,
Can you relate to all my symptoms???[/QUOTE]
yes i have them all and itss scary

Boxermad 10-26-2006 03:05 PM

Hi

Ive just read your post , I took have just been told I suffer from anxiety , acid reflux, panic attacks and deppression

But I also Have HP which has been a big strain in my life for years now , It causes so many problems

I also Have chest pain , palptations, short of breath , dizzy spells, arm pains. pains all over really !

jules174 10-26-2006 03:51 PM

I gotta doc appointment at 9.15am in the morning:eek: My partners in china so I'm going to have to drive and go alone::dizzy: just hope I can do it. I panic on leaving the house and driving is a real big thing for me and sitting in the docs is just unreal too. Wat a state I'm in :rolleyes:

Boxermad 10-27-2006 03:54 AM

I had a docs appoiment last week , and also got my self in a state over having to drive up there on my own , but most of all its the sitting in the waiting room . I hope you do ok !

Once you are treated fro the Hp you will alot better :) But remember whilst treating the stomach for hp you need to treat the mouth at the same time , that is why mine kept coming back :)

jules174 10-29-2006 09:50 AM

Hi this is n update

Did an over the counter test and it shoed neg for H plyori.. Doc has said i may ave gerd but my problems are anxiety. She gave me more of the antacids and strongly advised i start taking the citrapram:eek:

But must admit I was pretty pleased that I made it there and back with no major panic attacks xx:)