It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Does anyone with Acid reflux have persistent sore throat?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-22-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
    casper35
    (female)

casper35 HB User
    Does anyone with Acid reflux have persistent sore throat?

I have had a sore throat every day for over amonth. It is red and it is more of a burning feeling. Sometimes it is more red than others. some of it looks like red dots and lines. It goes up onto a little bit of the roof of my mouth. I also notice that it seems to get worse as the day goes on. I am a smoker and I do drink alcoholic beverages and if I have beer or wine it feels worse. But I don't have any other heartburn type symptoms. I do have sinus problems so I thought mabey allergies but I am just not sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2006, 02:14 PM   #2
    mommyinVA
    (female)

mommyinVA HB User
    Re: Does anyone with Acid reflux have persistent sore throat?

It sounds like you have LPR. I have LPR and this past month has been rough - sore throat every day (really painful first thing in the morning). I thought I had sinus issues until an ENT diagnosed me with LPR (also known as silent reflux). Unfortunately Nexium gave me awful side effects, so I have to look into something to help me out.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:04 PM   #3
    Mike137100
    (male)

Mike137100 HB User

I just got back from the ENT. He scoped my nose and throat. He said the posterior aspect of my voice box was red. Told me it was due to my reflux. I don't get sore throats, but lately I have been constantly clearing my throat and a bit hoarse. The mucus lately has been horrible. He told me to go back on Aciphex. I tried nexium but that didn't do much, also my insurance carrier stopped paying for it. I hate taking PPI's long term since they give me side effects. AGGH!!!!

Old 10-24-2006, 09:24 AM   #4
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Absolutely. Although I'd classify it as everything from just a "warm" throat around the larynx, to sore. Scratchiness included. Along with that is the desire to clear throat (I do have sinus problems but this is beyond that). Yes, I feel it up to the roof of my mouth much, and have the ugly white/yellow tongue which sometimes burns. Also ear burning many times, which NEVER occurred before the floodgates of reflux broke loose (even if I was often congested - again, sinus).

I am overall my best in the morning (sometimes my throat actually feels very dry), and gets worse through the day. Sleeping seems to restore me for the most part, in the stomach as well.

Old 10-27-2006, 08:47 AM   #5
    LittleLisaMarie
    (female)

LittleLisaMarie HB User

Hi Casper,
    I have severe Gerd (acid reflux). I have had it for years. In the past two I have developed one sore throat after another. This eventually led to me losing my voice for periods of over 2 months straight. My GP finally sent me to an Ear, Nose, and Throat doc. He went in, and looked down my throat with a small camera. He told me the sore throat and voice loss were a direct result of acid reflux. He even told me he could see the acid scarring on my throat.
    I take two medications. One before eating in the am, and a second one before bedtime.

good luck,
    Lisa

Closed Thread