It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• LPR and raising the head of your bed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-25-2006, 06:35 AM   #1
    viblakah
    (female)

viblakah HB User
    LPR and raising the head of your bed

Does raising the head of your bed really help with lpr or is that something to be done when you have GERD?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2006, 05:31 AM   #2
    viblakah
    (female)

viblakah HB User
    Re: LPR and raising the head of your bed

Do any of you out there with lpr raise the head of your bed?

Old 10-27-2006, 06:28 AM   #3
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Many say it doesn't matter for LPR, but I retain the raised bed anyway. I started it before the GER because my husband snores and it can help that. So I'm not giving it up!

I think I have GER/LPR because I frequently also feel burn "down there", not just in my throat. So maybe I'm not a very good example. Yet, I often feel I don't really reflux when I'm totally supine (burping lessens), and sleeping on horizontal beds when on vacation, etc, doesn't bother me that I know of.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:41 PM   #4
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I've had my bed raised 5 inches since April. I'm doing much better, but I don't know if the bed is the reason or not. I started taking 2 PPI/day at the same time. As long as something is working, I'm not going to change it though.

My biggest problem with raising the bed is the covers that slide off at night. However, I can live with that since my chronic cough has gone.

Old 10-29-2006, 02:32 AM   #5
    Inge Jones
    (female)

Inge Jones HB User

I had a wedge for a long time under my mattress that slopes from nothing to ten inches at the top. I think it was compressing my stomach and it didn't help very much as I used to slide down it anyway. I have recently changed to a flat block of foam 6 inches high with another 4 inches high to use as a pillow and it seems to help more. The raised bit starts just where my ribs start and I think it's enough of a step to leave my stomach lower than my tube.

Closed Thread