HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acid Reflux / GERD (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/)
-   -   Stop the NAUSEA! (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/450177-stop-nausea.html)

652 11-28-2006 10:15 AM

Stop the NAUSEA!

I have had very bad nausea(especially when I lay down for sleep) since thanksgiving. I have had bloating issues and digestive problems for months now and docs have run many tests and found nothing! Anyone know at least of anything that I can do to decrease the nausea for now? I am already taking prevacid which helps with bloating a little, but I still get these episodes every couple of weeks and am very scared when the happen(shortness of breath, nausea, bloating after small meals)

princess_sammy 11-28-2006 10:34 AM

Re: Stop the NAUSEA!

if you take a product called 'Gaviscon' is will help its a very good product and you can get it from a drugstore or even the grocery store most of the time,it does not require a prescription and i take it all the time,yes it is scary when that happens but try to remain calm,also if you drink alot of acidic stuff ESPECIALLY pop than that can happen,i stopped drinking pop and started drinking more milk/juice and noticed a huge difference,hope that was helpful!keep me updated!

chikkie14 11-29-2006 01:36 AM

Hi 652, its me again. Talk abotu nausea I don't know if my case still falls under what you called a normal GERD symptoms.. my nausea is so bad that I feel sometimes that I will wet myself.. you know like just lose all your control like having a stroke? do u also feel like that? I feel like my eyesite is even affected.. I am finding it hard to focus at times... when I am lying down and I get up.. even slowly.. i feellike I am spinning and my site will like darken... u feel that as well? I dont know if I still want to see a doc as I am losing my faith that he will know what exactly I am feeling... maybe he will just give me another useless meds...

652 11-29-2006 11:48 PM

My nausea makes my right eye blurry(strange). I also feel real ligth-headed when this happens. I tried adding a little ginger to my tea the last couple days and it seems to help. I am still getting thses wierd GERD symptoms if thats what it is. I know what you mean about docs not helping much. I just got my job to switch me to Blue Cross PPO instead of HMO and am going to try and see a new doc(old one sucked!) Lats couple days I couldn't eat much and feel almost like a gag-reflex and mouth-watering. This is torture! My left stomach aches and has butterflies and is tight as well as my lower back. I go in for more test with the old doc tomorrow and will let you know how it goes. I don't feel the nausea when getting up from lying down. Just a little light-headed wierd feeling when sitting down. When it is bad, I can relate to your "losing it" comment. I take pepto religiously(probably bad) and it helps with my symptoms for a while. Then I have to go off it for a couple days or it doesn't help anymore. Do you have any tricks, ideas or diet tips that help with your gerd/nausea?

652 11-29-2006 11:54 PM

I might try gaviscon soon, princess and i already gave up soda, but did have my first two beers in a month over thanksgiving - maybe that has something to do with this new episode. Chikkie, can you answer my last post? I hope we can help each other.

chikkie14 11-30-2006 12:31 AM

I have already given up on a lot of things for sometime now. I used to be a big coffeeholic but its been 6months now sincE I had my last sip. Not a soda drinker so not so hard on that, i love fruits and now I dont even eat banana. I think part of the reason too why I am so weak is because I am so scared to eat just about anything, thinking it will bring that horrible feeling again. I am now only 95lbs! I cant afford to lose more.

652 your right about the ginger, but it would work more if u take it as concentrate, I mean boil a cup of water and put about 5 slices of ginger. Bring it to boil and simmer for a bout 5 mins and sip it like tea, you can even take it before meal and you wont have reflux. I find it really good for nausea, even just smelling it relieves me of my light headedness. Also rub some vapor rub (youknow those hot things?) on your chest, you will smell like an old old grandpa but it will relieve you as well :p I am also adding ginger on a lot of meals I am eating. I am seeing a chinese doc now and thisis what she recommend. As of now I am not taking any prescribed meds, just the herbal meds from her. I dont feel as bad as before but there are still episodes of relapse as I told you.

I am worried though too that by not taking prescribed meds I am doing more damage.. I still get aches and pains here and there, but I am just trying to see the effects for now so far so good. Just try the ginger for now and I will let you know if I learn some more... :)

652 12-02-2006 10:40 PM

Thank you, Chikkie. I will try the ginger. Can you also tell me what things you can and do eat with no problem. My heartburn(or whatever it is is so bad sometimes just drinking too much water will bloat me and trigger an "episode". Also, how long do you episodes last and how long have you had this problem? When and how did it first start. Sorry to ask so many questions, but knowledge seems to help.
take care.

Paulk 12-04-2006 02:03 PM

Chikkie,

I started eating root ginger yesterday after I saw the post here and it seems like it is helping.
I bought fresh root ginger cut it to small pieces and and soaked it in lemon juice and salt for a coupe of hours.
Once I started eating it I felt better with the symptoms.
Also, added a few drops of crushed ginger juice to the tea and it felt good.
Got to see how it goes...So far so good. (I like the taste of ginger)
Keeping my fingers crossed and praying.

Thanks...

chikkie14 12-05-2006 07:29 PM

Hi I am glad to hear that your all somehow feeling a bit better. I amnot doing bad myself although of course there are still times I feel so bad .. I just try to live as it comes... now I ma having cramps on my lower ab and I dont know if its still due to GERD. When it spasm or contracts (it somehow feel like it) the nausea is back and I stil have tons of headache.. the bloating is somehow gone.. still alot of churning here and there though. I am not taking any PPI or any prescribed meds,,, just herbal meds my chinese doc gave ,me, so i guess thats whats helping me now.. good luck to us! :)

652 12-08-2006 09:21 PM

Thanks, chikkie. But I just had another episode the last few days. Stomach is SOOOO bloated. Doc said might be slow gastric emptying. Going to have some tests next week and he put me on erythromycin. I hope its not the case. I've read bad news about this disease. It sounds miserable. Its so wierd. I'll feel good one day and then BAM the next day I'mbloated and stomach hurts and lower back hurts as well as nausea. I almost puked the other day for the first time! Oh well I'm OK now for the moment, but I can only eat 1/3 of a meal or twoo hours later I'm super bloated and hurting!! I'll keep you posted and thank you for your help - it REALLY does make a difference!
Take care........