It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Reglan

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-06-2006, 06:12 AM   #1
    cappy7
    (male)

cappy7 HB User
    Reglan

How many of you have taken Reglan for the treatment of GERD? If so, how are the results? I am reading that it increases the rate the stomach proccess food and moves food particles to the small intestine faster. It is also supposed to strengthen the LES so the acid does not back up into the esopagus.

I am considering talking about this medication with my doctor. I am on a PPI right now, and don't think reducing the acid in my stomach is fixing the problem. I believe the weak LES valve is the problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2006, 09:56 AM   #2
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
    Re: Reglan

Hi, I would definitely recommend holding off on this until you seem sure you have gastroparesis with gastric emptying scan. It's only suspected to help the LES anyway, but its main purpose is to help gastroparesis (where your stomach doesn't work).

If you search on "reglan" here on the forum you'll find some threads where I talk about my brief experience; these are where the thread includes asking about Reglan.

I had a minimum dosage of only 5 mg for each meal (3x), and in 1 week I got tremors, then worst of all, pounding heart and palpitations (PACs, or premature atrial contractions) which even woke me up 1 morning and I went to the ER. This was within 2 weeks of starting it, and 1 day after stopping it (I finally got skittish about continuing).

I think you should give it a try IF YOU HAVE GASTROPARESIS (again, it's not clear it helps the LES), but don't bother until then and if you try it, stop it immediately upon any nervous-system type symptoms. Don't "tough it out" like I did.

I knew all along that Reglan has a very bad reputation for all kinds of nervous reactions from severe depression (suicidal tendencies) to bad heart dysrhytmias/palps. But I've never had a bad reaction to meds and was almost dying to try it (yes, I heard about the possible LES connection). When I was diagnosed with gastroparesis my doc suggested Reglan and I did mention the possible effects. But it's 1 of the only real options for the "GP". So I tried. And I failed miserably, unfortunately. (It did seem to help the reflux/nausea, but I didn't care at that point!)

Worse, here I am 2 months later and I'm still feeling somewhat frequent PACs, stomach-flutters, and dizziness. Not as it was, but still I'm trying to get totally over it.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
    cappy7
    (male)

cappy7 HB User
    Re: Reglan

Hi, thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to find other avenues to help my GERD. I do not like popping pills if I don't have to. PPI's just don't seem very practical to me. I didn't think there were going to be positve results with Reglan and the LES. This is what I'm trying to fix. Have you heard about Orange Peel Extract? I posted this once before and I can't remember if you responded to it or not. I heard if might help stregthen the LES and GERD symptoms.

When I do have to take the PPI's...when the heartburn is intense. I usually only have to take it twice a week. I don't have to take it every day. I don't think I have too much stomach acid, I just think there is a problem with my LES valve. Or maybe I don't have enough stomach acid. I've been trying the ACV for about 2 weeks and it seems to be helping a bit. I've alos added some digestive enzymes as well, which seem to be helping. I'm also trying to eat a more healthy diet to.

Have you had any luck with alternative methods or diet?

Closed Thread