It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Endoscopy tomorrow AM,....a question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-06-2006, 05:38 PM   #1
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User
    Endoscopy tomorrow AM,....a question

Hi all...

Finally my endoscopy is tomorrow morning..even tho I'm a little nervous, at the same time, I can't wait to get it done.

I know now all about the fasting and all, but one thing I've seen some of you mention, (on this and other boards) is that some of you were told not to drink water for approx. 2 to 4 hours before the procedure??? They didn't say anything to me about this....so I'm wondering.....were most of you told this??

I meant to call my gastro's office today to ask, but forgot all about it. I'm not supposed to eat after 9 PM tonight..but what about water in the morning?? I usually drink a lot of ice water in the morning until I eat, as my stomach is hurting and burning so bad when I get up, and it's about the only thing that brings a bit of relief. (I have to take thyroid meds every AM, and then have wait 1 hour before I can eat)

Any help appreciated...
    thanks so much,
    Deda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
    Ish
    (female)

Ish HB User
    Re: Endoscopy tomorrow AM,....a question

Hi

Doctors seem to have different preferences.

When my endo was done, I could take my meds with a little water, but I was told not to overdo it.

You might call first thing in the morning and check with your doctor's nurse.

Otherwise, I probably would not drink any at all until after the procedure is over.

This is not much help, I know .

Maybe some others will share their knowledge.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:06 AM   #3
    MAD MAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Deda I didnt drink the morning of the Endoscopy, I took my thyroid med's after. (GOOD LUCK hun)...Mandyxxx

Old 12-08-2006, 12:43 AM   #4
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

Well, I went in today, Mandy, (and others) and was a bit nervous, (the nurse said everybody is), and like everyone on this board says, it was a piece of cake. You all were right about that! (and thanks for advice too to everyone)

The sad news is....the Dr. didn't see anything! No hernia, no ulcers, and I just could not believe it! I was so upset, I cried....just what the hell is causing this pain then??!! I was so sure they would find something, that when he said there wasn't anything, I was stunned. I was angry too, and told him I want further tests done, (I told him I want a cat scan), and he said, "okay, we can do that". But now I am wondering if I even should?

I do have acid reflux though.....could that be causing all of this pain?? It doesn't seem possible to me.

Anyway, when I got there he asked how I was feeling lately. I told him the past couple of weeks, I am waking almost every morning to terrible pain in my stomach, it feels like I'm starving, and like if I don't eat I am going to die. Also I get severe burning in my stomach too. Sometimes eating relieves it, but sometimes too, only for a short while. Some days it hurts badly, other days just mildly, some days it doesn't even hurt.

Then he asked me if I followed up with a shrink like he "we talked about last time?" I told him I've already been seeing one for a few months, and also seeing a counselor. When he got done with the test, I was angry, and I told him "this pain is NOT being imagined Dr." He told me that he believed me completely,but he also knows that I have anxiety disorder and depression, (dad passed away in May), and said that anxiety and our emotions can present themselves in [real] physical pain, and the symptoms are real.

Now I am really beginning to wonder about this,.....I do have some marital problems going on, and a ton of anger towards my husband....ever since 2 days before my dad passed away, and he left me alone to go fix other people's car's...(he could have put this off,....it's a side business, and he doesn't have to be there), and then 5 days later after my dad passes away, (the 1st weekend after) he left me alone for the whole day again......I cried, pleaded and begged him not to leave me alone. (I don't have anyone else except my husband, mour son, (daughter moved to NC) and my not so nice brother.

My husband told our (grown) son, [during a fit of rage], (as if, how dare she ask me to!!) anyway, he told our son, "she needs to quit crying and grow up and stop acting like a 5 year old,.....people die!!!..... [screaming], and "People don't live forever!!!" (as if it were something we didn't know)

Then going through more tough times with my only living brother....long story, but my dad had left me as his sole benificiery on his life insurance policy, (it wasn't huge, but...it was substantial amount) as my brother was always telling him, (bragging I guess) about all the money he has in the bank. (yes, he is very successful and has bragged to me that his estate is worth "millions" now)

Well, our dad was getting dementia and had to be put in a home, and this brother got him to sign over a power of attorney, (and he rubbed it in to me daily how much power he had, ie; "I can do anything with dad's money, make any decisions, etc) See...I live 500 miles away from where my brother and dad lived. Well, right away, he went and phoned dad's insurance co. and changed it, and added himself as well as me,...50-50 as benificiery. I always had a feeling he would do something like this, but to tell you the truth, I'm surprised I got any of it.

And he also handled our dad's bank accounts, which I later found out, he got more than 50% of that. Also he cleaned out our dad's place and took everything that was of any value, all of the photos, etc., and left me with just a box of cassette tapes....which he says he put in the attic to save for me. (I would've liked something... at least 1 thing of his to place in my home, in his memory)

I know this sounds suitable for the Relationship board, but MY POINT IS, I have an ENORMOUS amount of anger towards these 2 people. My husband isn't a total jerk, he really isn't, and is good to me in many other ways, but when it comes to that shop...it has always come before me. (everything he loves always has) I am having a hard time letting go of this one.....I'm mad as hell. He has never even apologized, [as that was something he was never taught to do] and it hurts so much....to get treated like this by the one person who should be there for me, before anyone else. It almost seems unforgivable. (our own daughter said she would divorce him, as she knows of how he's always put his interests, hobbies and other people before me. And scr- - - by my own brother...the only one left of my family.

So I am beginning to wonder, (all day today), could all of this pain in my stomach and chest be a result of all of this pent up anger?? Could it possibly make a persons stomach hurt, so extremely bad like this?

I also have a lot of health anxiety, due to this autoimmune disease I have, as my mom and older brother both had hypothyroid too, and went on to die of another AI disease....I can't even talk about it, it frightens me so badly.

So maybe my gastro Dr. is right? I wish I knew. Tell me what you guys think about this possiblity...please.

Deda

Last edited by Deda; 12-08-2006 at 01:12 AM.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
    MAD MAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Hey Deda

I know how you feel, I keep getting the same happen to me. I go for so many of these tests and nothing comes back. As you know I have inflammation of the duodenum, what did they give you for your acid relux? Did they say that you had any inflammation. This is so strange Deda;we both have underactive and have stomach problems.

All I know is I can not live like this, with the pain I have everyday, I do not just get the pain under my rib, but I get it near my belly button, and in my back.

I know how you feel when you say that an autoimmune disease screws your brain up. I totally agree, it is frightning - it is like "where is it going to attack us next"? I already have been told I have auto immune ovarian failure, 1% of the population have this. I also have the RA antibodies in my body.

I lost my mum to an A1 disease. What A1 disease did your mum die of?

I hate all this anxiety Deda, I know that all we want to find out what is wrong with us.

Try and cheer up - I am back at the hospital on Tuesday so here goes another round.

Doctors have told me that the anxiety can cause the pain in the stomac because there is some sort of connection between the brain and the gut. Well I reckon I need a new brain then. They put me on Amutriptuline; a mild dose, which works on the pain, rather than an anti-depressant. I have never had so many nightmares, I was on it for two weeks; then took my self of off it, as I was like a zombie according to my husband.

Have a nice weekend Deda, let me know how you get on,
    HUGS ((()))) Mandy xxx

Last edited by MAD MAZ; 12-08-2006 at 02:25 PM.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

Hi dear Mandy... (((hugs)))

I just happened to be on here when the little flag popped up with notice of your message. Thank you for replying.

Oh, I know, this AI disease is so crappy. My mother had pulmonary fibrosis. She died at 56 years old, back in '82. They say there are some families that seem to get AI diseases in clusters. My poor beloved brother was only 46yrs old when he died of the same thing as my mom, and altogether he had at least 4 or 5 AI diseases. Mandy, what did your mum have, hon?

I think the AI diseases just cause a lot of these problems, you know Mandy? Why are there SO many people on the thyroid boards with acid reflux?? It's unbelievable! (thyroid disease causes inflammation when your levels are off, but right now my levels are in a good place. But I also have read that having just about any AI disease causes inflammation)

It's funny Mandy, but my heartburn/reflux didn't start until I was diagnosed with the hypo/Hashi and only AFTER I started taking thyroid meds. But this was also around the time I started really worrying a lot, about my health. I can't help it...I think anyone would with this family history. It was more controlable when I first got it, not getting really bad until about 8 months later...or so...and I don't know why. Probably too my other problems....stress, and really bad anxiety at times.

Mandy...so what new tests are you having done this Tuesday, girlfriend? At least they are still trying to find out.... He told me yeasterday that I could have a cat scan...but I'm tired of being embarrassed when they don't find anything. I really am beginning to think that my problem is all connected to my anxiety and my problems with my husband. See. even that Dr. told you that there is a connection with the brain-stomach....I really am beginning to think that.. more and more.

I am taking Prilosec, (Omeprazole) 2 x a day...every 12 hours. I have also tried Protonix, (Protopanazole) but it didn't work. Prilosec doesn't seem like it works that great either, but the couple of times I quit taking it, (when I was feeling better), OH My GOSH!!!!......IT HURT 1OO times worse!!! So I guess it does work...somewhat.

I also watch my diet very, very carefully. Nothing really seems to help. I do have some pills for anxiety, (Clonazapam) which used to give me some relief, but I think it doesn't work any more. A friend recently loaned me a few Ativan's, (is it Lorazapam?), and that helped a lot. But unfortunately, not many Dr's will give you this...as it's addictive. I see my shrink this coming Tuesday, and I will try again to get something from him. He told me flat out "NO" the last time I saw him. I'll tell him...well, I hope this anxiety doesn't make me sicker, and I'm not sleeping either, so what am I supposed to do? Just suffer?

I am not sleeping well at all lately, Mandy...I wake after 3 hours of sleep, and then keep on waking up more again and again after that. I'm sure this doesn't help either. How do you sleep, Mandy? (I hope better than I do) Mandy, do you mind if I ask how old you are? Have you gone through menopause already? (I have, and I think that's also a contributer to these problems) I really feel though, that if I can get this anxiety-stomach pain under control that I would feel wonderful, as my thyroid symptoms are all gone.

You know Mandy, sometimes when I get out with my girlfriends, and I'm relaxed and having fun, I feel great! Every now and then, I have a pain free day, or half a day pain free. This sucks...

I will be praying for you Mandy....I sure hope this Tuesday they can find out what is causing that under rib pain that has been with you so long. Does it hurt all day long? Do you ever have some pain free times?

Keep in touch,
    Deda

Old 12-09-2006, 02:14 PM   #7
    MAD MAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Deda - Thanks for your reply

My poor Mum God bless her soul died at 61 Feb this year. She had so much wrong with her - in my opinion all stemming from the Thyroid AI disease. She had: blood clots on her lungs, diabetes T1, congestive heart failure, and so much more... She was on more pills in a day than you can imagine.

This Tuesday I am going into the hospital to see a speicalist - just to bug them, I was meant to wait till Jan. I might end up having to go down the root of having a Laposcopy next year - to really see whats going on in there, I just want it to end I really do. I bet you do too. I only have the appointment because I rang them up saying that I was going to complain to the Public Levisory complaints service (took about a thousand calls) I don't hold much hope though.

Pff, sleep would be nice, I wake up after three or four hours of kip then I am awake for the following four or so hours, then I drift off for an hour at about seven. I reckon it is the thyroid tablets we are on - not agreeing with our body.

I don't know? I give up smoking and then that is it all down hill from there, still haven't started up agian mind.

I am 41 now and am 42 on the 22nd of this month. How about you?

Let me know how you are

Take care
    Mandy xxx

Last edited by MAD MAZ; 12-09-2006 at 02:34 PM.

Closed Thread