It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Acid Reflux or what? Please help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-13-2006, 12:31 PM   #1
    Hamilton92
    Veteran
    (female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User
    Acid Reflux or what? Please help!

I have been suffering for over 3 years now with no relief.
    My doctor did a bunch of testing including an endoscopy, colonoscopy, ultrasound of gallbladder, cat scan, blood work, stool tests, I've done it all.
    Well I quit taking my Prevacid he gives me because its just like taking a tic tac and I've tried Nexium and I'm allergic to that.
    On top of that I think I've tried every over the counter acid reducer/antacid there is with no relief.
    He says I don't have GERD or acid reflux because my burning that I have is too low.
    I burn around my belly button area and have frequent nausea now. The nausea started just the last couple of months though.
    I don't throw up, I'm scared to throw up and choke.
    I can't eat solid food, I haven't eaten regularly since this all started 3 years ago.
    I don't know if its the weather change, allergies, sinus drainage or what but lately my throat feels really really raw in the back of my throat and it feels like behind my tonsils and around my ear canal in the back of my throat burn. My throat tightens up all the time and sometimes I wake up because it feels like I'm having spasms in my throat.
    I am scared that if I do have acid reflux or GERD and my doctor misdiagnosed me or didn't diagnose me at all that I have done permanent, irreversible damage to my esophagus and its only going to get worse.
    I don't have the feeling of acid coming up in my esophagus or throat just the occassional burning feeling.
    Sometimes also I have green stools and my stomach feels like it just got put through a meat grinder.
    I bloat up all the time even if I just drink water.
    Please can anyone help me? Does anyone feel this way too? Please post if you can help or have any advice for me at all.
    I can't afford to go to the doctor, I was recently laid off so there goes my health insurance.
    I'm scared and don't know what to do but if I have severely damaged my esophagus I want to stop it.
    Anyone who's ever had an endoscopy and your doctor came back and told you that your esophagus was inflamed or raw and red what happened next?
    How does your esophagus feel if it has this severe of damage to it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
    Hamilton92
    Veteran
    (female)

Re: Acid Reflux or what? Please help!

Oh I'm sorry I forgot to mention. I have the Prevacid dissolvable tabs my doctor gave me that you just dissolve on your tongue.
    Whenever I take one of those I usually only take half of less of one because it makes my throat tighten up kind of when I first swallow it and my throat really burns when it goes down.
    Is that normal?

Old 12-13-2006, 04:18 PM   #3
    oldman21
    (male)

oldman21 HB User

I have low stomach acid, which has almost the same symptoms. Its very common as we get older. Does lemon and water help you? You might try some digestive enzymes and pepsin. It really helps me with bloating. I used to have bad heartburn and a painful gallbladder.

I take metagenics Metagest (Betain-HCL with Pepsin) with every meal, and digestive enzymes (Metagenics Spectrazyme), and probiotics. It has solved my digestive issues about 95%. These are non-prescription enzymes.

Do notice more symptoms with heavy or fatty meals? Is your poop normal, light colored, loose? My doctor says you should have as many bowel movements per day as you do meals. So if you eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner, you should have 3 bowel movements.

If you have taken ANY antibiotics it will really mess up your digestive system. Probiotics would help alot, i take 2 per day. Make sure they are the kind that needs refrigeration and don't rely on yogurt.

Last edited by oldman21; 12-13-2006 at 04:21 PM.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:53 PM   #4
    Alagaesia
    Veteran
    (female)

Alagaesia HB User

You may have food allergies. The only way to know is to get tested by an allergist. If you don't have insurance then just save up as much money as you can to get a proper test done.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
    Hamilton92
    Veteran
    (female)

Its not a food allergy because I don't have to eat or drink anything for this to happen.
    My throat has really been burning like fire for the last week.
    Tonight just sitting here it is starting to burn again. Does anyone when their acid reflux or LPR flares up does it feel like your throat is tightening up?
    I can mostly feel the burning behind my ears. Kind of a weird spot I would think for my throat to burn, its definitely my throat burning but I can feel the burning behind my ears in my throat, if that makes any sense and the back of my throat feels really tight.
    Is that normal?

Old 12-16-2006, 03:58 PM   #6
    Hamilton92
    Veteran
    (female)

How can I tell if my esophagus is eroded or severely damaged? Without going to the doctor? I am really scared!

Old 12-16-2006, 04:01 PM   #7
    Hamilton92
    Veteran
    (female)

Also one other question, sorry.
    Why does my throat burn so bad when I take a prevacid dissolvable?
    Is my throat that severely raw and damaged.
    Anyone else on the prevacid dissolvable tablets? Do they make your throat burn too when you swallow them?

Old 12-17-2006, 01:49 PM   #8
    Alagaesia
    Veteran
    (female)

Alagaesia HB User

When my reflux was bad I felt like there was a lump in my throat and I couldn't breathe as well. I also felt pressure in my ears.

I'm not sure about the throat burning. Maybe there's an ingredient in there that's just too harsh for your body. Try taking a digestive enzyme. You can get those at any health store. Those break down your food so you can properly digest them.

There's really no way to tell if your esophagus is damaged unless you get properly checked by a doctor. I had to have an upper endoscopy done for that.

Last edited by Alagaesia; 12-17-2006 at 01:56 PM.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:26 PM   #9
    Hamilton92
    Veteran
    (female)

I haven't had the burning in my throat for a few days now but today I have a tremedous sense of pressure right at the back of my throat.
    I don't know what this is but it is very uncomfortable and scary.
    It feels like the back of my throat is trying to close off or go into a spasm or something.
    I also have really bad allergies and every morning I wake up I have a very dry scratchy throat but this is happening in the middle of the day.
    It is right in the back of my throat.
    What is this?

Old 12-19-2006, 09:57 PM   #10
    Alagaesia
    Veteran
    (female)

Alagaesia HB User

What kind of medication are you taking for your allergies? Do you see an allergist regularly?

Old 12-31-2006, 04:00 AM   #11
    caz_50
    (female)

caz_50 HB User
    Smile Re: Acid Reflux or what? Please help!

I agree with Alagaesias reply. It sounds like you may have a food intolerance. I was diagnosed with a wheat intolerance after years of suffering with acid reflux and other quite severe stomach problems. After taking wheat out of my diet the relief was instant. Please try to get tested!! Carol.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:23 PM   #12
    oldman21
    (male)

oldman21 HB User

you can also search the net for an "elimination diet". Its a boring diet that starts only with foods that almost never cause allergies. Then add other foods slowly, like every other day. You can find a trigger that could help you quickly without going tot he doctor.

Also, try a shot of lemon juice and water next time you get heartburn. It should help tremendously. I would take probiotoics and digestive enzymes for the bloating.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:36 PM   #13
    snowflake11
    (female)

snowflake11 HB User

hi caz,

thank you so much for posting the notes that you do. you seem very knowledgeable and help so many people. i'm so glad you found the cure to your suffering.

i'm curious - do you also have an intolerance to rye or oats? or is it just wheat? I think I may have a food intolerance too, because I also have the horrid burning throat pain which isn't helped by PPI's. Sometimes the roof of my mouth hurts too, yet I don't taste any acid. I am actually wondering if i have an allergy to milk because I read on the internet that milk proteins can cause a sore throat. do you avoid milk or other foods or grains, or just wheat?

thanks!

Closed Thread