It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Can running/walking help GERD?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-27-2006, 09:54 AM   #1
    alwayshotroddin
    (female)

alwayshotroddin HB User
    Can running/walking help GERD?

Hi everyone,

I've read through several posts on here and everyone is very helpful. It's nice to know I'm not alone with all these GERD problems!

One thing I haven't seen too much of is whether exercise is good to treat GERD or not? I used to work out 4-5 times per week... running outside, on my treadmill, plus weight lifting. A couple of months ago I started having dizzy spells/vertigo, went to see an ENT, was diagnosed with BPPV (benign paroxymal positional vertigo). The dizziness has gotten better but I now have horrible acid reflux, to the point where the acid comes up my throat and I gag/dry heave but do not vomit. I've been on Aciphex for a couple of days now and I take Mylanta also. The nausea and sore throat is better but I still have horrible burning. Through all of this I have pretty much quit exercising. I lay around and watch TV, read books, etc. more than anything because of all the nausea.

I want to jump back on my treadmill or at least go outside to walk but I'm scared it will make the GERD worse. The burning is absolutely awful as I'm sure you all know, as well as I have horrible mucus in the back of my throat. No fun!

Also, what do you guys think of drinking hot Ginger or Chamomille Tea (no caffeinated)? I've heard this can be helpful but I tried it this morning with Ginger Tea and my mucus production was worse.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2006, 10:14 AM   #2
    huffnpuff
    (female)

huffnpuff HB User
    Re: Can running/walking help GERD?

I worked at a clinic when I was diagnosed, and the advice I was given was walking was fine (I was never a runner), but exercise that involved bending and cutting yourself off at the waist (tight belts, tight pants) was going to make it worse. Exercise always makes your body work better - cuts down on constipation and makes your heart work more efficiently. I have always kept this in mind and with Aciphex twice daily (one in A.M., one after dinner), I have kept the GERD at a manageable place. Good luck to you. Aciphex will calm it down - the burning is awful, so give it a few days. If not, call your dr., he may increase it to twice daily. Mine is due to a genetic problem - the opening from the esophagus to the stomach never closes, hence the constant burning I used to have. Thank God for these drugs.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:37 AM   #3
    Sean II
    (male)

Sean II HB User

I have severe problems with reflux if I run outside, especially if it is windy. I get bloated and will have to continuosly clear my throat the rest of the day due to irritation caused by the air. However, 90% percent of the time I run indoors on the treadmill, there is no effect on my reflux symptoms.

Old 12-27-2006, 01:18 PM   #4
    neddy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

neddy HB User

Just make sure you exercise on an empty stomach.

Old 12-27-2006, 01:43 PM   #5
    alwayshotroddin
    (female)

alwayshotroddin HB User

Thanks for your advice. I went for a walk outside with my dogs today and unfortunately it didn't help, it actually might have made it worse, but I made a mistake and had a piece of toast with peanut butter on it and I just talked to my doctor's office and they said peanut butter is a big no no! Oops! I just can't wait for the burning sensation to stop, it's driving me nutts! I'm going to start taking Aciphex twice daily now for 1 week to see if that helps.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:32 PM   #6
    Alagaesia
    Veteran
    (female)

Alagaesia HB User

Try digestive enzymes. They're found in any health store.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:49 PM   #7
    CrazyLife414
    Veteran
    (female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User

Hi..I know that some people say that exercise helps, but I have to tell you that anything that "jogs" my stomach makes everything worse for me. Don't even think about bending or straining your stomach area, because that is really bad. Good Luck to you..and remember that this whole thing is trial and error. I find that keeping a journal has really helped me figure out what helps and what hurts! Happy New Year!

Closed Thread