It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Is Nexium a safe drug?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-01-2007, 12:23 PM   #1
    eternal sanctum
    (male)

eternal sanctum HB User
    Is Nexium a safe drug?

My doctor prescribed Nexium for acid reflux. I have some concerns about taking pills so I was wondering how safe Nexium actually is. Does it affect the liver? Are there any serious side effects I should be concerned about?
    I seem to have weeks of very bad heartburn but then I will also have times where I don't get any heartburn at all for a couple weeks. I am wondering if it would be safer to just take Maalox as it seems to help a bit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
    Re: Is Nexium a safe drug?

1st of all, you should ask your doctor (or multiples if you can) and pharmacists about it.

My own impression is it is not so bad. Headaches and diarrhea or constipation are known as regular side effects, and now news is coming about it making it harder to absorb calcium and thus, increasing risks of hip fractures (I bet other fractures, too) for older folk.

Other than that, nothing bad. Some people claim it gives them nightmares, and the literature talks about stomach polyps, but apparently these are unimportant.

While it's better not to have to take drugs at all much less continuously, you a) have to consider the alternative of not taking them and b) many drugs are rather "dull" in the effects dept.

My father has had epilepsy and taken phenobarbital and dilantin for 50 years, every day. He has no problem with this, absolutely no effect.

Not all drugs are the same, of course, but not all are back-stabbing killers.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
    hambo_12
    (male)

hambo_12 HB User

Hi.

I recently sent to the doc about a swallowing difficulty I have been having for the past 10 years. He put me on Nexium 40mg daily. After about a week or two of taking the drug, the swallowing problem all but dissapeared! However, I started experiencing VERY scary side effects.

I halted the Nexium after 2 months, and the problems subsided, but my swallowing difficulties have come back.

These are the side effects I had:

- Stomach and abdo pain.
    - Nausea
    - Extreme bloating
    - Loss of ALL appetite (I had a colonoscopy while taking Nexium, which requires no eating for 1.5 days, and I didnt feel hungry anytime)
    - When I did eat, its was only about half a sandwich.
    - Diahhrea
    - Dizziness, faintness, and occasional headaches.

As you can see, the Nexium wasnt for me. Having said that though, some people find it fine without any side effects at all. I must say though, these drugs arent designed for long term use, and their long term effects are as yet unknown.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:10 AM   #4
    cody48
    (female)

cody48 HB User

I've been taking Nexium for over 8 years and have had no side affects that I know of. It has been a miracle drug for me and I hate the thought that I will need to give it up. However, I have backed off the drug to see if I can control this on my on.

Closed Thread