It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Trouble Swallowing. Very Scared!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-01-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
    Hamilton92
    Veteran
    (female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User
    Trouble Swallowing. Very Scared!

Every time I eat I have a very difficult time swallowing, I drink usually 2 glasses of whatever it is I'm drinking at the time and it still feels like there is something in my throat trying to force its way down.
    What is this? Is my throat narrowed.
    I also get really severe burning in my throat, this is usually at night.
    I have taken some over the counter Gaviscon liquid that almost numbs my throat it feels like and makes me feel a bit better.
    But this feeling like my throat clogging up is very scary and I'm scared that one day I'm going to choke to death.
    Today I just ate a small handful of potato chips, I made sure and chewed very thoroughly before swallowing and I got this feeling.
    I drank a glass of tea then half a glass of v8 juice and still had this feeling.
    I am scared and I don't know what do to.
    I am currently unemployed since recently being laid off of my job so I don't have health insurance and can't afford to see my gastroenterologist.
    What can I take over the counter that may help me? I am scared! Am I going to choke to death? What if I tried to throw it up if it gets stuck? Will that make it worse and the food really get stuck then? I am very scared even of trying to throw it back up.
    I have very high anxiety since I've been going through undiagnosed stomach problems for about 3 years now with no diagnosis.
    I've had many many tests done and nothing. I begged my doctor while I still had insurance to dialate my esophagus thinking it would help my swallowing problem and he refused.
    I had an endoscopy when my problems first started 3 years ago and he didn't see anything wrong that time, no irritated esophagus or anything then but that was when these problems first started. I feel my esophagus is irritated now and I've developed a more serious problem swallowing since then but he refused to listen.
    What can I do, I don't want to die! I think I may have developed Barretts too, how can I know for myself if I have it? What are the symptoms, I may just have acid reflux, GERD, or LPR or a combination of everything.
    Please help, I'm sorry to rattle on and on but I am scared!
    Also when I get this feeling of food getting stuck my chest gets really tight afterwards and during the problems swallowing.
    Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
    alex12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
    Re: Trouble Swallowing. Very Scared!

It sounds like you have LPR see an Ear Nose and Throat Doctor if you have not already..
    I sympathize with you because I am going through the same exact thing. I also have an air hunger issue, it's terrible. It makes me panic everyday and ruined my holidays! I've been taking more Klonopin now since this started then ever before. I wish you the best and just keep getting opinions.

Alex

Old 01-01-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
    patfield
    (female)

patfield HB User

I have also had the throat closing feeling from time to time. I am now on Nexium 40 mg once a day and it seems to be keeping my problems under control. One thing I would suggest is your choice of food and drink. You mentioned that you had just had a handful of potato chips, a cup of tea and a glass of v8. All of those things can trigger acid reflux. The fat in the chips, the caffeine in the tea and the tomato juice in the v8 juice are all things that can trigger my reflux. Whenever I eat fatty foods or tomato-based foods I can expect to have problems. I only drink decaffeinated teas now as well. Prilosec works alot like Nexium and it is over-the-counter here in the U.S. If you can get it, give it a try.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:11 PM   #4
    ttwarrior1
    (male)

ttwarrior1 HB Userttwarrior1 HB User

didnt read all that but before going to bed and lying down, do you feel like you woke up , cant breath and need to slow and then after a couple seconds of focusing you finally can swallow.

Try taking acidophilus before dinner. Before bed take cal mag and potassium capsule. Also drink about a half inch of apple cider vinegar in apple or cranberry juice .

Old 01-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #5
    hambo_12
    (male)

hambo_12 HB User

I have had this problem for the past 10 years. I actually get food stuck, and it sits there until it decides to go down. I can actually feel the pipe contracting and trying to push the food down, but it takes a while. It is also painful. I recently started Nexium, and the swallowing problems slowly went away, until it was near gone. However, the Nexium gave me very bad side effect I couldnt live with, so I stopped taking it. I am open to opinions on other good medications...

Old 01-03-2007, 08:25 PM   #6
    Hamilton92
    Veteran
    (female)

How do you deal with it? I mean feeling the food sitting there in your throat not going down. Don't you feel like you're choking.
    When I start choking on food I really can't breath. Its not in my windpipe, the food is at the top of my esophagus or halfway down and I start to feel my heart race and I can't get a good breath because of the pressure of the food in my esophagus. When it finally goes down oh boy does it hurt!
    I don't know how to get over this and finally start to eat normally again.
    I want to eat so badly but I can't get over the fear now, it's taken over my life.
    How do I get past this?
    I am basically on a liquid and mushy foods diet so that it goes down easily.
    I drink tons of carnation instant breakfast drinks for the vitamins and boost, ensure, all of those to make sure I'm still getting the nutrition I need to survive but I've got to do something.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:21 PM   #7
    alex12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I just had an endoscopy and the gastro said I have a motility problem, esophageal spasms. Maybe you can talk to your gastro about that.
    Mine is not under control by any means but the start is having it diagnosed.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:52 PM   #8
    Hamilton92
    Veteran
    (female)

Does anyone else feel this way? I woke up this morning after having a terrible nightmare. I've been having more nightmares since this started with my high anxiety and LPR, acid issues than I've had in my entire life.
    Well I woke up this morning and felt like the back of my throat was really clogged and swollen and my throat was a bit sore back behind my tonsils area.
    Well I went to take a drink of cherry 7up and it felt like it stuck in my throat and wouldn't go down for a moment.
    I've never had that happen, with liquids, I mean it was like there was something stuck in my throat or my throat was swollen and wouldn't allow the liquids to go down.
    What was this? It was very scary!

Old 01-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #9
    Sean II
    (male)

Sean II HB User

I know exactly what you are going through. I developed a swallowing problem a few months ago, first noticed it while eating a stringy steak sandwich a a D'Angelo's resaturant. The food sticks up around the area near my Adam's apple. At first i would get really freaked out, like you, that i was going to choke or sufficate. this would cause all kinds of anxiety for me while eating. Until I had my test I would avoid anything like meat or peanut butter because that was the worst for me. I began to relax once I realized that the food was fortunately sticking below the entrance of the windpie. I discovered this once while eating a pork chop. the peice i was chewing was, for one thing, to big because I was anxious to swallow it to get it over with. Anyhow, it got stuck. At that time I forced myself to calm down and breath. It was at this time that I discovered that I could breath while it was lidged there making me realize that it was past the area where I might breath it into my windpipe. This realization reduced my anxiety tremendously. I still have the swallowing issues but the anxiety about chocking is gone so I can once again enjoy my food. I had a FEESST test this past fall that revealed irritation and swelling in the upper esophagus that is the cause of my swallowing difficulty. hope this helps.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:11 PM   #10
    Sean II
    (male)

Sean II HB User

By the way I also had the sensation of liquids not going down at the height of my anxiety over this. I still chocke on soda every now and then. Your anxiety is causing your senses to be hyperaware and is exasperating the situation. Globus hystericus may also be contributing to it. Been there, done that.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:48 PM   #11
    Sanchez1
    (female)

Sanchez1 HB User

I too have been having trouble swallowing, or rather feeling as if food and drink is stuck in my throat after eating. It really affects my quality of life, and being anxious over it, I'm sure doesn't help.

I have been taking Prilosec every other day or so, but need to step it up. I don't find that it helps if I take the Prilosec AFTER I am feeling the narrowed throat/food stuck feeling.

I also have a lot of pain and tenderness in my upper stomach area, and I can feel the acid in my throat a lot.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:00 AM   #12
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

same here. the trouble swallowing came outof the blue hence the dx of esophageal spasms. BUt i went to the dentist the other day and told him i have a horrible coating on my tongue that will not go away no matter how many times i brush or rince with mouthwash. he looked up my BP meds and said they cause dry mouth along with a nasty taste. he also told me most of the medsi am on cause dry mouth and that could be what i am feeling in my throat is extreme dryness. he came to this conclusion as he said i have very little saliva and to try hard candie sto lubricate the throat. I am a diabetic so he recommended sugar free lemon drops. said they help the best. gonna give it a try.

ICC

Old 02-15-2007, 03:31 PM   #13
    chrisitine
    (female)

chrisitine HB User

I have had alot of problems swallowing the last 5 weeks and I agree it is scary. I find even swallowing liquids is a problem for me. I find that any food that is not soft is hard to swallow and sometimes when I try to swallow a pill it comes right back up.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:48 PM   #14
    kmlong
    (male)

kmlong HB User

alex12, what is air hunger?

Old 02-17-2007, 07:02 PM   #15
    alex12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Air hunger is the feeling of not getting enough air into our lungs, or for me through my throat, since it seems to feel like my throat is closing off. It's like my breaths are not satisfying and it gives me the need to yawn since that is the only way I get a satisfying breath of air in.

Closed Thread