It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Has anyone heard of something natural for Acid Reflux

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2007, 11:29 AM   #1
    SaraSara
    (female)

SaraSara HB User
    Question Has anyone heard of something natural for Acid Reflux

My name is Sara and I have been searching for a natural product for Acid Reflux with all the negative side effects of doctor prescribed medications. I did come across a natural product called Acidcalm. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of it or what anyone thinks about it. I don't want to waste my money but I am desprite to find something that will help me.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-25-2007 at 09:46 AM. Reason: product names are allowed - websites are not

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2007, 01:09 PM   #2
    needaremedy
    (female)

needaremedy HB User
    Re: Has anyone heard of something natural for Acid Reflux

Hi Sara,
    I looked up the Acidcalm product you mentioned. It looks like it's similar to other products available at the health food store. However, I noticed that the ingredients listed licorice extract and not DGL (which is deglycyrrhizinated licorice.) From all that I've read, licorice extract can have negative side effects such as hypertension and lowering potassium levels. DGL has the "bad stuff" removed so you can get the healing benefits of licorice without the harmful side effects.
    DGL came highly recommended for its healing properties by my naturopathic doctor. I am using the chewable tablets by Enzymatic Therapy. I chew 2 tablets 20 minutes before each meal and, if needed, in between.
    I'll be honest...I think they taste horrible. But knowing that they help to heal makes them easier to swallow.

Also, I've heard that chewing these tablets can stain your teeth so make sure to swish with some water after you use them.

I've never used the Acidcalm product so I can't speak to its effectiveness. But if I had to base my opinion off of similar products, I'd say it is "so-so" as a "cure"... It's temporary relief- a lot like we're already getting, right?

Last edited by moderator2; 01-25-2007 at 09:47 AM. Reason: please do not quote posting rules violations

Old 01-25-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
    Shgar
    (female)

Shgar HB User

Hi,

I get acid reflux whenever I have to take antibiotics. They kill all of the good bacteria that you need in your stomach. One thing that you can do is eat lots of yogurt 3-4 servings a day until you feel better. Yogurt and other cultured food products contain the good bacteria. This can fix my problem if it is not too severe. Once I had a severe attack and had to take a ppi first, then I stopped the ppi and continued the yogurt. I had to take levaquin (antibiotic) a few months ago and afterward my stomach and intestines were completely out of whack. I had acid reflux symptoms and diahrea. However, I caught it before it got really bad and started eating the yogurt and in about a week I was okay.

Once I am feeling better I can cut down to one serving a day. Eventually I guess I could stop eating it, but I like it and it is good for me.

You can also buy pro biotics at a health food store. You can get much more of the good bacteria this way, but I prefer to get it in my food.

Hope this helps you.

Sue

Old 01-26-2007, 07:24 AM   #4
    scott1360
    (male)

scott1360 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shgar View Post
    Hi,

I get acid reflux whenever I have to take antibiotics. They kill all of the good bacteria that you need in your stomach. One thing that you can do is eat lots of yogurt 3-4 servings a day until you feel better. Yogurt and other cultured food products contain the good bacteria. This can fix my problem if it is not too severe. Once I had a severe attack and had to take a ppi first, then I stopped the ppi and continued the yogurt. I had to take levaquin (antibiotic) a few months ago and afterward my stomach and intestines were completely out of whack. I had acid reflux symptoms and diahrea. However, I caught it before it got really bad and started eating the yogurt and in about a week I was okay.

Once I am feeling better I can cut down to one serving a day. Eventually I guess I could stop eating it, but I like it and it is good for me.

You can also buy pro biotics at a health food store. You can get much more of the good bacteria this way, but I prefer to get it in my food.

Hope this helps you.

Sue

Hey Sue. WHat kind of yogurt do you eat? I've heard it should be "high quality" yogurt whatever that means. Or do you just eat regular yoplait or dannon yogurt?

Old 01-26-2007, 07:34 AM   #5
    Mike In NY
    Inactive
    (male)

Mike In NY HB User

It's not yogurt you should be using but the cousin to yogurt which is KEFIR. It comes in a 32oz container (about $3) and is very rich in PROBIOTICS. Look for it in the dairy section near the yogurts. PROBIOTICS can also be purchased in capsule form. I recommend using both Kefir and capsules.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:32 PM   #6
    scott1360
    (male)

scott1360 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike In NY View Post
    It's not yogurt you should be using but the cousin to yogurt which is KEFIR. It comes in a 32oz container (about $3) and is very rich in PROBIOTICS. Look for it in the dairy section near the yogurts. PROBIOTICS can also be purchased in capsule form. I recommend using both Kefir and capsules.
    Interesting. I was just reading about this Kefir online. How much would you recommend a day? Is it like drinking a smoothie?

Old 01-26-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
    Timbrado
    (male)

Timbrado HB User
    Smile Re: Has anyone heard of something natural for Acid Reflux

its all individual; i find kefir to be terribly indegistable....gives me horrible heartburn...but not yogurt. you can also take acidophilus tablets, which work well..

Old 01-27-2007, 01:54 PM   #8
    Shgar
    (female)

Shgar HB User

Hi,

About the yogurt. I usually go for all natural nonfat (blueberry cause thats my flavor choice), but I believe they all have about the same content. However, I have been told that it is better to eat the plain ( i don't know why). I also don't like artific. sweeteners.

I never heard of kefir, but it sounds good to me. I will look for it. Four servings of yogurt per day is a lot of calories, but when I am suffering with gerd, I often can't tolerate much else anyway.

Now if I know I am going to be taking an antibiotic, I will load up on probiotics first. This may not help everyone, but it sure works for me. It also helps to prevent the diahrea assoc. with antibiotic use.

Sue

Old 01-31-2007, 02:13 PM   #9
    teacher2be
    Veteran
    (female)

teacher2be HB User

ok where do you get the probiotics at? do you get them at a health food store?

Old 01-31-2007, 02:38 PM   #10
    baby_bytes
    (female)

baby_bytes HB User

Something that is great to try is Aloe Vera, very natural and is soothing and cool to the stomach. It also helps with ulcers and gallstones. If you don't have any growing at home go buy some cut out a piece, carefully without poking yourself, take off the spines on the sides first then take off the rest of the skin. Now put it on your liquifier with water, and drink it. I have gallstones and acid reflux so it helps me out a lot. Also drink some at night to help reduce any acid reflux attacks at night.

Last edited by baby_bytes; 01-31-2007 at 02:39 PM.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:46 PM   #11
    scott1360
    (male)

scott1360 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by baby_bytes View Post
    Something that is great to try is Aloe Vera, very natural and is soothing and cool to the stomach. It also helps with ulcers and gallstones. If you don't have any growing at home go buy some cut out a piece, carefully without poking yourself, take off the spines on the sides first then take off the rest of the skin. Now put it on your liquifier with water, and drink it. I have gallstones and acid reflux so it helps me out a lot. Also drink some at night to help reduce any acid reflux attacks at night.
    Just be careful Baby_bytes. I've read that long term usage of Aloe Vera could be harmful. Although, same goes for PPIs, so who knows!

Old 01-31-2007, 02:47 PM   #12
    baby_bytes
    (female)

baby_bytes HB User

Oh also Ginger is supposed to be good too as well; it helps aid digestion, helps absorb the good things of food, soothes and protects the whole digestive system. I personally do the Aloe Vera more, than the ginger, bc eating too much ginger for me, since I have gallstones might help move a gallstone, therefore i'll go into pain. But also if you don't have any gallstones, it helps prevent them. If you don't know what ginger is, it's what comes with the sushi, it's either a pinkish or whitish color, it is not the green thing that comes with sushi which is wasabi lol

Also if you drink or smoke, you should stop (not saying you do) and stop using NSAIDs such as Ibuprofen, Aspirin, etc. if you also use them.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:52 PM   #13
    baby_bytes
    (female)

baby_bytes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scott1360 View Post
    Just be careful Baby_bytes. I've read that long term usage of Aloe Vera could be harmful. Although, same goes for PPIs, so who knows!
    The PPI's I believe and I don't use even though they get prescribed to me up and down; but I've been using Aloe Vera for awhile and I don't overuse it. It helps me out a lot, PPI's have never helped me and caused me more acid reflux. Aloe Vera has helped me a lot especially since I have gallstones, which are more painful than acid reflux; and my doctor was ok with it. My grandmother has been using Aloe Vera for as long as she can remember and she's fine, same with my mom, so it depends on the person as they say "ones man's meat is another man's poison."

Last edited by baby_bytes; 01-31-2007 at 02:58 PM.

Closed Thread