It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Cured my reflux... After 12 months of trying everything.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-27-2007, 06:48 PM   #1
    october885
    (female)

october885 HB User
    Cured my reflux... After 12 months of trying everything.

After a terrible bout with mono in January of 2006, I developed acid reflux. I had an endoscopy in the Spring of 2006 after a severe reflux episode. The endoscopy showed wearing of the esophagus, esophagitis and gastritis. I followed the reflux diet to the T - to no avail. I raised my bed up. I had to stand immediately after meals, or I would get a sore throat, etc.
    During the course of visiting Doctors, I find that I have Celiac (problem with gluten). Then I followed the reflux/celiac diet. I had read here that once you remove the gluten, your reflux will go away. Not for me. Then, I found out that the current celiac diet is not the diet that was intended when the doctors originally found the source of the problem with celiac. The original celiac diet is to eliminate all grains, and all dairy, and starches.
    Guess what, after following this diet (It is called the Specific Carbohydrate Diet - there is a book you can get) I was cured of reflux. It only took a matter of a week and my reflux is gone! And, I can now eat fruit again! Please try this diet and let me know your results.
    Try it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
    snowflake11
    (female)

snowflake11 HB User
    Re: Cured my reflux... After 12 months of trying everything.

so what CAN you eat? heck, i'm trying to gain weight and on your plan i'd disappear.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
    october885
    (female)

october885 HB User

Snowflake,
    I know where you are at because I lost 50 pounds eliminating everything from my diet trying to get my reflux under control. I was down to eating rice, chicken, gluten free cornflakes, and some vegies. I was at the point where my Dr. was recommending surgery for me to fix my reflux.

On the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, you can eat meats, poultry, fish, vegies, soups, eggs, fruits (I haven't been able to eat fruits for the last 12 months). You can bake things, muffins, bread, rolls, banana breads with almond flour. You can eat nuts, some cheeses, homemade yogurt.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-28-2007 at 02:05 PM. Reason: do not copy from websites

Old 01-28-2007, 10:50 AM   #4
    snowflake11
    (female)

snowflake11 HB User

thanks for sharing your success. i am very glad the diet helps you. Personally i think it's a bit to restrictive for my own needs right now, though.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:44 AM   #5
    pugluver31902
    (female)

pugluver31902 HB User

Oh my gosh! Im so glad I found this thread! Im going through the same thing. I have posted on here before about having severe reflux, then finding out that I had celiac's, and following the diet, and still having the reflux. I will have to check out that book!

Old 01-29-2007, 07:12 AM   #6
    neddy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

neddy HB User

Hello, october7hslkjd. I have been thinking on the same lines that we are having problems digesting our foods correctly which is why we are suffering from acid reflux. But, like snowflake I'm already thin and feel this may cause me to lose even more weight. Can you tell me what you eat normally on this diet? So many diets say don't eat this and don't eat that, I wish they would just list exactly what you can eat.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:56 AM   #7
    october885
    (female)

october885 HB User

Okay, here is the diet: (Buy the book "breaking the vicious cycle" by Elaine Gottschall) - the diet is very well stated in the book and I may have forgetten somethings here.
    You can view this as a glass half empty or a glass half full. I see it as a very plentiful diet (considering I was down to eating only rice, chickena and gluten free corn flakes). My reflux diet was crazy because I was eliminating everything except the problem foods (grains, starch, sugar). After a week of eating this diet, I was able to add back fruits into my diet with no problem.
    Sweeteners - as much honey as your want and saccharin.
    Proteins: All fresh or frozen beef, lamb, pork, poultry , fish (including shellfish), eggs, natural cheese (see below), homemade yogurt made according to recipe in book. Farmer's cheese, Canned fish in oil or water.
    Vegies: Fresh or frozen, no added sugar or starch. No canned or jar packed vegies. You can have artichokes, asparagus, beets, dried white navy beans, lentils and split peas, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, celery, cucumber, eggplant, garlic, kale, lettuce, lima beans, mushrooms, onions, parsley, peas, peppers (green, yellow and red), pumpkin, spinach, squash (summer and winter), string beans, tomatoes, turnips, watercress
    Fruits: Fresh, raw or cooked, frozen(with no added sugar) and dried. Canned fruits or jar fruits which state "packed in own juice".
    Apples, advacados, apricots, bananas (must be very ripe with black spots beginning to appear), berries (all kinds including blueberries), cherries, fresh coconut or unsweetened shredded coconut, dates, grapefruit, grapes, kiwi, kumquats, lemons, limes, mangoes, melons, nectarines, oranges, papayas, peaches, pears, pineapples, prunes, raisins (preferably dark), rhubarb, tangerines.
    Nuts: Almonds, pecans, brazil nuts, hazelnuts, walnuts, unroasted cashews, boiled chestnus. Peanuts butter without additives of any kind.
    Beverages: Canned tomato juice (only salt added). Use tomato juice for cooking instead of canned tomato paste or canned tomato puree.
    Orange or grapefruit juice, freshly squeezed or juices, if avail, not made from concentrate. All of these without added sugar. Grape juice, white or dark. Bottled grape usually has no added sugar. Avoid frozen, usually has added sugar. Pineapple juice without added sugar. Weak tea or very weak coffeee without milk or cream. Milkshakes made with homemade yogurt, fruits to sweeten to taste or with added honey or saccharin. Fluid milk is not permitted.
    Additional: Unflavored gelatin, mustard, dill pickles, olives, vinegar (cider, white or wine). Diet soft drinks only occasionally. Butter, spices. Fresh garlic, onions. There is a list of cheese that are okay such as mild cheddar, swiss, colby, gouda, monterey jack and about 20 others.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:04 AM   #8
    october885
    (female)

october885 HB User

Okay,
    You have asked for an idea of what I eat on a daily basis. Keep in mind that I am only on the diet about 10 days now and there is alot more to eat that I am not eating (but after 12 months of reflux I have learned to add things in gradually so I know what the culprit of my reflux is)

Breakfast:
    Eggs with cheddar cheese and a piece of banana nut bread (recipe is in the book it is made out of almond flour- yummy) Green tea.

Lunch:
    Chicken breast with spinach. Natural apple sauce. Cheddar cheese, Almond slivers.

Dinner:
    Fish, broccoli, olives, apple sauce and another piece of banana nut bread - yummy again.

As you can see, there are alot more things I can add into the diet. I am doing it gradually.

I purchased a yogurt maker on-line, I am still waiting for it to arrive and I will soon be adding yogurt, smoothies and cheese cake to my menu.

The book has wonerful recipes for breads, muffins, cookies, pies (made with almond flour) They are gooood! There are also recipes for soups, main meals, etc.

Try it - it worked for me. I couldn't be happier. I was at the point where my Doctor was recommending surgery for me for my relux. So, this is definitely a situation of a glass half full for me.
    Please post your experiences with the diet.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:16 AM   #9
    Shgar
    (female)

Shgar HB User

Hi,

I am currently suffering from LPR symptoms. I was eating a lot of yogurt for my stomach which really helped me a lot. But now I actually have acid hitting my larynx and even my yogur has been bothering my stomach. It is awful. Cant sleep well at all. Some nights ok others not all. I tried zantac but it did not help. I could double the dose and maybe that would help, but I like the idea of finding a natural remedy.

This diet sounds intriguing and I will give it a try also. I am going to order the book online as well. I will let you know how it goes. Did it fix your reflux 100%. Was your reflux getting into your throat and larynx like mine does? Please let us know of your progress on this diet. I will do the same. Thanks, Sue

Old 01-29-2007, 10:19 AM   #10
    october885
    (female)

october885 HB User

Sue,
    Yes, my reflux was getting up into my throat. I was going hoarse after eating my dinner. I had to stand for about an hour after eating dinner (for some reason, it was worse towards the end of the day). I couldn't eat 3 hours before bed, I did it all. It all didn't work. Until I got rid of grains, starches and refined sugar.
    I was also put on Nexium, Protonix, Carafate and Aciphex. Most of the time, I was taking it 2 times/day. Did not work.
    The diet works!

Old 01-29-2007, 01:58 PM   #11
    Shgar
    (female)

Shgar HB User

Hi and thanks for posting about this diet. It is very encouraging. I have ordered the book and meanwhile got a chicken soup recipe which I am enjoying right now. So far so good, no acid problems.

I have been reluctant to get on the ppi meds again - afraid they are hurting me rather than helping. They help short term but hurt long term.

Anyway, I hate to have to give up the sweets, but it is a small price to pay for feeling normal again. I am also mildly concerned about getting enough fiber, but I think that can be easily remedied.

I have been doing some research and found that a study was done that showed that a low carb diet shows promise in improving acid reflux.

Thanks again and I will keep you posted on my progress.

Sue

Last edited by moderator2; 01-29-2007 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Please do not post websites except as described in the posting rules section titled "How to share information".

Old 01-29-2007, 02:12 PM   #12
    jfriedmanx
    Inactive
    (male)

jfriedmanx HB User

Hi, thanks for your sharing and encourging. I had been on PPI medicine for several years. Recently, I tried to use probiotic and Mastic gum to fix my problem. I like the idea about food remedy. BTW< can you eat wheat bread?

Thanks.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:08 PM   #13
    october885
    (female)

october885 HB User

jfriedmanx,
    No you cannot eat wheat, rye, oat, white, pumpernickel bread. No grains at all. In the book mentioned above, there are recipes on how to made a bread from almond flour. I have tried almond flour muffins with blueberries and an almond flour banana bread. They are really good!

Old 01-29-2007, 04:10 PM   #14
    october885
    (female)

october885 HB User

yes,
    I have also heard from a brother-in-law that his reflux disappeared after being on the Atkins diet. My sister mentioned that to me when I told her that my reflux disappeared on this diet (SCD)- which is not the Atkins diet.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:29 PM   #15
    Ogreballerina
    (male)

Ogreballerina HB User

The OP speaks the truth

I've been gluten free for a couple of weeks and all my GERD and LPS symptoms are almost gone!

I can't believe the difference it has made in my life!
    I feel so much better..

No more throat aches, swallowed a golfball feeling, micro burps...and no more shortness of breath.

His diet is the same as mine...and it works!
    I actually registered today to post the same thing but he did it first...I'm not complaining though!
    It's a strict diet...but easy to follow!
    And it works...it may take awhile for some to really notice, but follow his lead and your reflux may be gone forever ( You have to stick to the diet forever though...but thats a small price to pay)

PS...I do not have to take any kind of med/home remedy for heartburn anymore..because there is none!
    PPS..For the fiber worriers...they make a gluten free raisin bran ( Eat it with soymilk..and you'll be ok) Or if you juice..use beets.
    PPSS..There are alot of gluten free alternatives! Alot.!...I was suprised at the options.

For me...to stick with this diet is alot better than the alternative!

Last edited by Ogreballerina; 01-29-2007 at 05:44 PM.

Closed Thread