It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Weird Gerd Symptom?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-06-2007, 06:58 AM   #1
    scott1360
    (male)

scott1360 HB User
    Weird Gerd Symptom?

Lately, last month, Ive been having weird symptoms that Im attributing to GERD. Its not so much 'heartburn" but a slight tingling/burning feeling. It seems to be centered around my chest/stomach and also extends to my arms at times and other parts of my body. To me it feels almost like having dry skin but my skin is not dry at all. It doesnt itch in the sense that scratching would help but its an itching sensation almost. Its the weirdest thing. Its not really made worse when lying down/eating certain foods etc. but it does seem to be GERD related. Does anyone else get this feeling at times? Its really hard to describe. Ive had GERD for probably 4 years and never remember this being a sensation I would get. Medicine has fully help for 4 years until about a month ago.

Last edited by scott1360; 02-06-2007 at 06:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #2
    scott1360
    (male)

scott1360 HB User
    Re: Weird Gerd Symptom?

I have an update from my doctor. He said my ph test came back normal so acid is not coming back into my esophagus (the protonix is working). He also said the biopsies from my endoscopy came back normal for an allergent he was testing that mimics acid reflux symptoms. He said the manometry test revealed that the muscles in my esophagus are abnormally weak and arent clearing out liquids and foods properly. He said there is no surgery used to fix the muscles and that he wants me to try to start taking something called Librax with my protonix. Is anyone on these two medications? Im very concerned that the muscles are weak and this is the cause of my problem. I should also be banned from the internet because I've now convinced myself that my muscles are going to get weaker over time until I cant swallow anymore and have effectively scared the heck out of myself. Can anyone relate?

Last edited by scott1360; 02-06-2007 at 12:49 PM.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
    Timbrado
    (male)

Timbrado HB User

Scott,
    you've got to chill a little...it will be okay.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
    Ish
    (female)

Ish HB User

Scott,

I have found that the things we fear the most rarely ever happen.

I have had that itching sensation, and I was told the sensations were from small spasms in the esophagus and stomach. I take small doses of a muscle relaxer and it really helps. I hope that info helps you feel a little less anxious.

I think the whole bad stomach *thing* is difficult for most of us to live with. I sure would like to have a normal response to food I once enjoyed.

Good luck in finding something that works.

Ish

Old 02-06-2007, 04:41 PM   #5
    scott1360
    (male)

scott1360 HB User

Thanks for both of your replys. It helps to hear from other people. I just feel defeated because I started feeling a little better (no doubt because ive been taking my mind off of my problems) and then I talk to the doctor today and just like that I feel awful again. Im sure anxiety is making this way worse. Also, the doctor only spoke to me on the phone for a minute and I feel like I need to go in and see him and let him know my concerns.

Closed Thread