It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Just Started Taking Apple Cider Vinegar

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2007, 12:05 PM   #1
    Hamilton92
    Veteran
    (female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User
    Just Started Taking Apple Cider Vinegar

I just went to the health food store and bought a bottle of Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar with Mother. I also bought honey to sweeten it to make taking it more bearable.
    I took 1 tsp and my throat when I first swallowed burned like fire.
    Now I feel bloated.
    Is this normal when first starting to take this? I have had problems swallowing too, will the vinegar aggrivate this problem or make it worse?
    I feel like my esophagus is so red and inflamed. Will the apple cider vinegar help this?
    I also bought aloe gel that I've read sooths and coats your esophagus and stomach lining.
    Which is better to take or can I take both?
    Please let me know what to expect from these two remedies.
    Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
    Hamilton92
    Veteran
    (female)

Re: Just Started Taking Apple Cider Vinegar

I have this really weird tickle, tingly feeling in my esophagus now about 30 minutes after taking the apple cider.
    I only took 1 tablespoon flavored with just a little honey to chase the bad bitter taste.
    Am I allergic to it or is this how I am supposed to feel.
    I feel like something is stuck in my esophagus now too. Like there is something irritating the sides of my esophagus and throat now when I swallow.
    Does this mean that my esophagus is worse that I thought?
    Has anyone had good experiences with aloe vera? The kind I bought is called Aloe Vera 80 Stomach Formula. Concentrated Aloe Vera Gel Dietary Supplement and it says maximum strength digestive aid with FOS and Natural Herbal Blend. It says it helps maintain normal acid levels as well as aid in digestion. It has other minerals and supplements in it like marshmallow root, slippery elm bark, german chamomile flower, borage leaf, peppermint leaf, pau d' arco bark, blessed thistle leaf and ginger root.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
    Hamilton92
    Veteran
    (female)

Several hours later the apple cider vinegar has worn off, my tongue feels raw and scalded and my stomach and throat are really on fire now.
    Can I take apple cider vinegar and an over the counter antacid like Mylanta or Gaviscon together?

Old 02-23-2007, 05:43 PM   #4
    Hamilton92
    Veteran
    (female)

Please help someone. I feel worse since taking the apple cider vinegar.
    I constantly feel like something is stuck in my esophagus now if I swallow anything. The way back of my tongue is sore, I'm having trouble swallowing and my esophagus just feels raw inside.
    Has anyone experienced bad effects of apple cider vinegar too?

Old 02-23-2007, 06:22 PM   #5
    linda36
    (female)

linda36 HB User

It seems unlikely you would have such a severe reaction from one tablespoon of ACV. Is it possible you were anxious about trying it and that anxiety has either increased your symptoms or caused you to focus on them more then usual?

Old 02-23-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
    snowflake11
    (female)

snowflake11 HB User

i tried it too and the same thing happened to me - set my throat on fire and my esophagus burned badly fo many hours. I seem to have alot of problems with food burning on the way down, not up. my doc doesn't think i have reflux (Bravo negative) - more of an allergy or sensitive esophagus or neuropathy or? But they say that AVC works best for people with low stomach acid - helps digest your food. But if you have too much stomach acid then it makes sense that adding more acid to the fire wouldn't be smart. At least that's the theory. perhaps you have too much stomach acid. Have you had your gastrin level checked? it's a blood test they can order. maybe you could try some DGL (licorice instead of the AVC).

Old 02-25-2007, 01:33 PM   #7
    SwimmerGirl12
    (female)

SwimmerGirl12 HB User

Just stop taking it then!! There are so many other things you can do to be healthy. I tried it and it burned. You can't take it straight. You HAVE to mix it with water. It is like any other vinegar.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:32 AM   #8
    Glenn B
    (male)

Glenn B HB User

I had really good results with the apple cider vinegar. I couldn't relieve my heartburn. No meds were working. I mixed a tablespoon in a full glass of water and sipped throughout each meal. Worked great. After a couple of months I was able to stop.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:52 PM   #9
    sonj186
    (female)

sonj186 HB User

hi, i have been taking apple cider vinegar for about a year now, i think the easiest and most plesant way to take it is to dilute it in a tall glass of water then add a wee bit off honey it makes it much easier to drink.
    sonj

Closed Thread