It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Is this GERD or something more serious?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-24-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
    TLB50
    (male)

TLB50 HB User
    Is this GERD or something more serious?

I have been on Protonix (40 mg) for over a year now. The Gastro doc put me on this after several tests (endoscopy, HIDA test, colonoscopy, etc.) found no apparent problems. Since I was also having chest discomfort I had an EKG and a nuclear stress test a year ago and everything was normal.

The Protonix has been working really well until a few weeks go when I started to have a lot of indigestion and pressure in my upper abdomen and chest. The pressure/discomfort in my chest is what concerns me. The cold weather seems to make the chest aching worse, as does anxiety. Usually the symptoms improve with a couple rolaids and belching seems to relieve the pressure.

I recently started taking vitamins again and also started Crestor (5 mg) for high cholesterol. The problems seems to have started about the same time. I am taking:

Multi (Centrum)
    Selenium 200 mcg
    E 400 I.U.
    C 500 mg
    CoQ10 100 mg

Can any of these cause the problems I am having? I am mostly concerned that I don't have a heart problem. I am stressing out about this and it is making the situation worse. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
    scott1360
    (male)

scott1360 HB User
    Re: Is this GERD or something more serious?

Hey TLB. I can definitely relate. I took PPIs (protonix, etc.) for the last 4 years and they worked wonders. However, about 2 months ago the meds stopped working and I started having a constant burn in my stomach/chest. Doctor decided I had non-acid reflux since my ph level wasnt too high in my esophagus and I have noticed for the last two weeks I have almost constant pressure in my chest (sometimes the center, sometimes left, etc.) It also tingles and burns at times. I am trying Librax right now which is not helping the pain but might make my anxiety less. I have lots of anxiety and it makes the symptoms MUCH worse. I know its hard but try not to stress about it. It sucks but hopefully we can find relief. If you are really concerned about it being your heart then I would go to a cardio doc but Im guessing its just reflux pain.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
    snowflake11
    (female)

snowflake11 HB User
    Re: Is this GERD or something more serious?

ooooh i find this interesting. TBL - I was taking a particular multivitamin for like 5 years (brand not important) - then last Feb I switched to Centrum Silver because my doc told me my vitamin was too megadose of some stuff. he wanted me on just 100% of everything. And like you, my problems started then too, after i started taking centrum silver. but then i had also had a heavy course of antibiotics at that same time - i've been blaming the antibiotics up till now. your post has me thinking though - could it be the centrum causing the pain? sounds silly, but could be? my doc seems to think I have eosiniphilic esophagitis due to food allergies cuz my bravo was negative despite me being in horrid burning pain during the test - you got me wondering if i may be allergic to the vitamin. hmm. i'll stop it for a few days to see.

Closed Thread