It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Reglan?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
    scott1360
    (male)

scott1360 HB User
    Reglan?

My doctor had me try Librax to improve my esophageal motility. It doesn't seem to be working so he now told me to stop taking it and try to take Reglan instead. However, from reading peoples experiences and his warning to be aware of any side effects Im pretty scared to take the medicine. Has anyone had any experience with taking it? Also, has anyone heard of it being taken to improve "esophageal muscle tone"? Seems like all Ive heard is people taking it for gastric motility issues.

Last edited by scott1360; 02-26-2007 at 02:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 05:37 AM   #2
    alex12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
    Re: Reglan?

Don't want to discourage you...I was given Reglan once and it made me very jittery and panicky, like I wanted to come out of my skin. I suffer from anxiety to begin with so this was terrible for me. If you have no problems with anxiety then try it.
    If your throat issues are due to LPR than it's not unheard of to give you Reglan.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

I myself was ALMOST in the same spot - however, I was anxious to TRY it! I knew there seems to be a high incidence of bad reactions, but I so wanted to try and control this GI stuff. Plus, I never had any bad reactions to any med before.

Well, for me, Reglan was bad. in 1 week I had tremors (which I ignored) and a few more days, I had major heart PACs and major pounding for several days. After finally stopping the Reglan 1-1/2 weeks, I went to the ER because the PACs got so bad it woke me up and my pounding wouldn't stop.

I suffered effects from this a long time, too. Gradually I've gotten better.

But, I am only 1 person. There does seem to be a high chance of getting some "bad" symptoms. However, if there's 1 thing you should learn from me: GET OFF THE MED AS SOON AS YOU FEEL ANY OF THE POSSIBLE EFFECTS!

I would try it - I always will try a med. You may never have effects, or it may help you before you have trouble. But since it does have some nasty effects that could happen, be warned to stop it immediately if you feel them. Don't push it like me and think "oh, I'll get used to it and it'll calm down".

Be willing to try because you may be a person who has no trouble. But be alert to neuro/heart effects and ready to stop it point blank.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:49 PM   #4
    scott1360
    (male)

scott1360 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ol'Line Rebel View Post
    I myself was ALMOST in the same spot - however, I was anxious to TRY it! I knew there seems to be a high incidence of bad reactions, but I so wanted to try and control this GI stuff. Plus, I never had any bad reactions to any med before.

Well, for me, Reglan was bad. in 1 week I had tremors (which I ignored) and a few more days, I had major heart PACs and major pounding for several days. After finally stopping the Reglan 1-1/2 weeks, I went to the ER because the PACs got so bad it woke me up and my pounding wouldn't stop.

I suffered effects from this a long time, too. Gradually I've gotten better.

But, I am only 1 person. There does seem to be a high chance of getting some "bad" symptoms. However, if there's 1 thing you should learn from me: GET OFF THE MED AS SOON AS YOU FEEL ANY OF THE POSSIBLE EFFECTS!

I would try it - I always will try a med. You may never have effects, or it may help you before you have trouble. But since it does have some nasty effects that could happen, be warned to stop it immediately if you feel them. Don't push it like me and think "oh, I'll get used to it and it'll calm down".

Be willing to try because you may be a person who has no trouble. But be alert to neuro/heart effects and ready to stop it point blank.
    Thanks for your input. What dosage were you on?

Old 02-28-2007, 09:01 AM   #5
    scott1360
    (male)

scott1360 HB User

I just spoke to my previous GI doc and he agreed that i should at least give Reglan a try. he said on the low dosage (5 or 10mg before meals) the side effects are very limited to headache or spacey feeling if anything and the serious ones come with higher dosages and older patients (im 23). Now the only question is whether to give a few accupuncture sessions a shot (my first one is scheduled for sat) or start trying the Reglan. I also dont understand, if the Reglan works, will it then stop working when I have to stop taking it? Can it possibly improve the motility? If not, it seems like an excercise in futility unless I can stay on the REglan long term.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scott1360 View Post
    I just spoke to my previous GI doc and he agreed that i should at least give Reglan a try. he said on the low dosage (5 or 10mg before meals) the side effects are very limited to headache or spacey feeling if anything and the serious ones come with higher dosages and older patients (im 23). Now the only question is whether to give a few accupuncture sessions a shot (my first one is scheduled for sat) or start trying the Reglan. I also dont understand, if the Reglan works, will it then stop working when I have to stop taking it? Can it possibly improve the motility? If not, it seems like an excercise in futility unless I can stay on the REglan long term.

Your doc is right; however, I am 1 of those exceptions! I am 37 and I minimal dosage - 5 mg just 3x a day. Nonetheless - well, you see.

I am not into any of this "alternative" stuff. They have no research so I will not risk myself or even time and money with that. I don't want them messing up my already touchy nervous system!

Try the Reglan. You might even know fast whether it's OK for you or not! Just as I said, though - stop it immediately if you have anything resembling those nervous-system problems!

I think generally you have to keep taking the med. However, you never know. You may decide to stop and find you're all fine. Of course, over time you may find you have other issues as the real drivers of your problem, and if you care for those - the Reglan may be unnecessary.

Good luck!

Old 03-11-2007, 09:38 AM   #7
    scott1360
    (male)

scott1360 HB User

well two doses of Reglan in and so far nothing really to report. No real standing benefit (it did seem to help me at meal time but the pain returned shortly after) and no real side effects yet. Well see how today goes.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:50 AM   #8
    miknan
    (male)

miknan HB User

I've been taking Reglan for about a week now. Not sure the dose but I think it is low and I take it 4 x day. Can't report any side effects. I think it has helped my nausea some but I'm not even sure about that.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:02 PM   #9
    blondy2061h
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

blondy2061h HB User

Reglan is BAD news for me! I took 40mg a day for about 2 months- I had severe headaches (I never get headaches!), insane fatigue, and a lot of depression on it. I cut myself down to 20mg a day, which helped, and I use is as needed now.

When I took it regularly it didn't help at all. Now if I take it when I'm nauseas only, it helps then.

Severe GERD and Gastroparesis- Prevacid, Domperidone, Zofran & Carafate as needed

Asthma- Advair 500/50, Qvar, Albuterol, Singular, Xolair

Closed Thread