It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Acid reflux heart palpitations? I hope so (kind of)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-28-2007, 03:27 PM   #1
    Roscoe36
    (male)

Roscoe36 HB User
    Acid reflux heart palpitations? I hope so (kind of)

Hi to all. I have read a lot on this site that many people with GERD and LPR get heart palpitations. Some have blamed it on the vagus nerve being irritated and others state that a hiatal hernia pushes on the heart, causing the palpitation.

Anyway, I frequently (almost all day long) can feel my heartbeat pulsating at the base of my neck, basically right in between the area where my collar bones meet. It is much worse when I drink alcohol and is better/disapppear when I exercise (which leads me (in addition to trips to cardiologists who said my heart is fine) to believe my heart is ok). Otherwise, it is pretty much there all day.

I have other GERD and/or LPR symptoms (indigestion, mucus and throat clearing, etc.), so believe this may be related to that.

My question is whether this is a "palpitation"? Is it possible that acid has irritated my throat to the point that it is inflamed such that I can see my heartbeat there? Does this sound crazy?

Thanks in advance,

Ross

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2007, 07:42 PM   #2
    chikkie14
    Veteran
    (female)

chikkie14 HB User
    Re: Acid reflux heart palpitations? I hope so (kind of)

Hi, I also feel exactly the same way.... had 2 ECGs and said my heart is fine... since my palpitations and chest discomfort is mostly when my stomach s bad (bloated to the max) my theory is, the stomach might be expanding to much with gas and is crowding our internals and pushing on pur chest thus the palpitations... well thats just my thinking... hey Roscoe36 do you also feel like a pinching pain in the right or left part of your chest from time to time? I do and its really scary.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
    Roscoe36
    (male)

Roscoe36 HB User

Thanks for the reply, Chikkie (funny name). I am relieved to hear that someone else feels this as well.

Yes, I sometimes get sharp pains in my chest, but they are only on the left side, never the right (which makes me think it is my heart). But, as I said, I have been to about three cardiologists, have had echo, EKG, etc. and am "fine." Well, I don't feel fine.

So Chikkie, you have the pulsating all the time too? I think you could be right about the crowding theory. That would make sense that I feel the pulsating more when I drink beer, etc. because I would presumably be much gassier when I am drinking and thus more crowding and more presssure on my heart and thus more palpitations. Does that sound right to you?

Even if that is what it is (which would by far be the lesser of certain evils), I am worried that long term pressure on the heart could itself cause a heart disorder. Argggh!!!!

Old 03-01-2007, 08:31 AM   #4
    neddy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

neddy HB User

I doubt the reflux is causing heart palpatations directly but like chikkie said the gas in stomach and intestines can crowd area, when gas is gone heart may jump. It's a scary feeling but harmless. One surefire way to get rid of heart palpatations is to exercise, it will be gone within 2 weeks (of course don't drink caffiene). another cause is anxiety, but even so, exercise will eliminate it.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
    chikkie14
    Veteran
    (female)

chikkie14 HB User

Yeah I agree on the exercise, though my breathing problems still prevent me from doing so... just walking a short distance makes me short of breath! And roscoe maybe you should do away with beer or other alocoholic drinks it sure makes GERD symptoms worse. But I have read on other thread that non caffein carbonated drinks helps relieve some people of gas... and thus palpitations.. I've tried ginger ale and it thus soothes me. But I dont want to take advantage, I still prefer my herbal non caffein teas...

Closed Thread