It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• mucus in throat

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
    zappalicious
    (female)

zappalicious HB User
    mucus in throat

Does anyone else get thick mucus in their throat after drinking? I notice it the most after drinking something very cold. Do you know what is causing this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2007, 06:21 PM   #2
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
    Re: mucus in throat

I get it but not from drinking cold drinks. I have known seasonal allergies before I had my stomach problems. No matter, it's still annoying to have and lately it is giving me a sore throat. Do you get a sore throat from the mucos?

Old 03-28-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
    Kellir
    (female)

Kellir HB User

I ALWAYS have mucus in my throat and difficulty swallowing.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
    chikkie14
    Veteran
    (female)

chikkie14 HB User

I have it all the time! and I am always gagging because of that.... drinking hot drinks like fruit infusion tea with honey helps me a lot... its so annoying!

Old 03-29-2007, 04:32 PM   #5
    mommyinVA
    (female)

mommyinVA HB User

I always have it as well and yes, VERY annoying. It's part of the joy of LPR!

Old 03-30-2007, 01:05 AM   #6
    chikkie14
    Veteran
    (female)

chikkie14 HB User

Do you also have headaches and pressur eon the face and all over your head? I have and it hurts pretty bad!! It feels like my heads to heavy to carry around

Old 03-30-2007, 07:22 AM   #7
    mommyinVA
    (female)

mommyinVA HB User

Hi Chickie - yes, I have chronic headaches and I do believe the headaches and mucous, for me, have come together. I have seen several ENT's and while they see drainage in my sinuses, LPR is what they have diagnosed. Unfortunately PPI's and I don't agree, so I'm taking Pepcid (which I think may also contribute to headaches). It's such a vicious cycle.
    Kathy

Old 03-30-2007, 08:38 AM   #8
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Yes to the mucus frenzy. Only taking anti-histamine daily and decongestants in conjunction with my Nexium help me. If I forget either my Nexium or Zyrtec. I feel like a volcano is about to pop my head of.. what an image.

Sincerely,
    MG

Do you also have headaches and pressur eon the face and all over your head? I have and it hurts pretty bad!! It feels like my heads to heavy to carry around

Yes until my most recent sinus cavity roto-rootering. I got cleaned out, opened and drilled. What a wonderful long recover it was.. but it was worth it. I am finally headache free.

This makes me think you might have allergy rhinittus or a sinus structural defect trapping fluid in your sinus cavities. An allergist and ENT might give you the best relief to this issue.

Last edited by mkgb; 03-30-2007 at 08:42 AM.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:52 AM   #9
    ben88
    (male)

ben88 HB User

How does LPR make you have mucous in your throat all the time? Is it the body trying to protect itself from the acid? Also if I have mucous but no sore throat or cough does that mean I've got LPR or not?

Old 08-15-2007, 05:38 PM   #10
    Pooke67
    (female)

Pooke67 HB User

I don't have a cough and I am currently being treated for LPR which is causing Sinusitis. I did read that the mucus is being overproduced to try and protect the throat from the acidic refluxing. Prilosec and Zantac have helped me tremendously...currently on week 4.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:05 PM   #11
    cjj14u
    (male)

cjj14u HB User

What is "LPR"?

Old 08-15-2007, 07:30 PM   #12
    cl84
    (female)

cl84 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cjj14u View Post
    What is "LPR"?
    laryngopharyngeal reflux

Old 02-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #13
    nellaishere
    (female)

nellaishere HB User

HELLO!
    im glad i found these boards i am finding that people have similar problems and symtoms that i have had for years and thought to be the only one to have. the mucus always in my throat is one. i have trouble swallowing. and it IS vert annoying. troubly eating. my stomach does get bloated after eating. i have chronic headaches. i think i might have LPR!!

i will go see a doctor and tell them about this being as their reply to all my syymptoms usually were "anxiety" "stress" and "asthma"

which brings me to this, i found this board searching for online answers to my breathing problems. there is a thread on here with people experiencing the same problems as i. my heart flutters and i feel like i have to yawn to get a full breath but its hard to do so.

do people with LPR also have this problem? If so i think i may have found what has been causing me all these symptoms and knowing what it is would be such a great relief!

hope to hear some replies on this, i am so happy right now! even if im having trouble breathing and the phlem in my thoat is so annoying i feel like chocking!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:18 AM   #14
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

I also suffer from breathing problems - I do not have LPR - but I do have Acid Reflux/GERD with a suspected mild hiatal hernia. I believe that this conditions definitely contributes to my breathing difficulties.

I have noticed lately that after eating I get mucous coming up into my throat. I wonder if mine is worsening - I sure hope not.

There are many here that suffer from LPR - and it does cause them breathing problems as well.

I hope you find some answers and relief very soon.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #15
    shan06
    (female)

shan06 HB User
    Angry Re: mucus in throat

what color is the mucus when you hack it up most times???mine is yellow or white or clear and thick...so annoying especially when taking the train and it being crowded....Hacking just cant happen the way u want it...hate this..i am going to an ENT next week......Nasonex helps but not totally..I have GERD and Post nasal drips for like 12 years now....

Last edited by shan06; 02-27-2008 at 08:57 AM.

Closed Thread