It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Stomach problem

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
    mojorisin29
    (male)

mojorisin29 HB User
    Stomach problem

Hi,

Im a 27yr old male.For the last 5 years or so I have suffered from acid indigestion and reflux (very mild reflux), partially brought on by alcohol I believe (hey Im a young man I go out) as it seems to be worse the day after drinking - sometimes very painful and i require lots of antacids. I smoke, but only 2 cigarettes a day (religiously). ABout 3 times in my life over the last 7 years I've had a swollen bloated feeling in my stomach accompanied by a burning sensation, lack of appetite and belching. It was put down as dyspepsia by my GP.

Recently (last week), i had an experience of burning in my gullet (as it enters the stomach) when food passed through. Almost like a scraping feeling - like scraping glass against the wall, this has receded but now I have a feeling like there's an obstruction there although I have no difficulty swallowing solids, liquids Im a bit more conscious of. I got a bloated feeling in my stomach, mild pain (from burning to sharp pain - never very painful though), a slight loss of appetite and quite a bit of belching. I can't seem to eat as much as I used to be able to (2 months ago ish) although I can still manage a large meal. Its strange, almost like Im constantly aware of my stomach being there, like an irritated mass.

I haven't lost any weight (I've gained some). At the other end its ranged from constipation to the opposite but nearly always a healthy colour. The Dr has put me on Omeprazole but I've only been taking it 2 days (it doesn't seem to have done much yet). He said he doesn't think its serious because I haven't vomited any blood or lost weight.

Should I ride the drugs out for the 4 week course or go back and request an gastroendoscopy? Im a little scared of the procedure to be honest so have been reluctant to do so. Also, I have a ringing in my ears and a sore tongue, very strange.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Could it be gastritis or a peptic ulcer?
    Thanks
    M

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
    kevmos27
    (male)

kevmos27 HB User
    Re: Stomach problem

HELLO

i have acid reflux same symtoms as you for last 5 years but i have been on antacids for about 4 years im due to see my consultant in july- im going to see if he will do a scope

i have had blood tests,ultasound and ph tube (gert that done its a tune that goes down your nose into your stomach measures the ph acid for 24 hours the resukts find out to see in your LES muscle is working right, get you blood checked for the HPYLORI make sure your gp folloews it through it could be a number of thinks like-

IBS
    gastrics
    colitis
    h pylori bug
    hitus hernia
    celiac disease
    food intolerence
    gluten/wheat intollerence
    GERD acid reflux disease

start of an ulcer if you are tested positive for h pylori

if you get any serious symptoms like passing blood or vomiting blood, or losing weight or constant stomach pain tell your gp you want an emergency referal
    have you been refered to a gastro consultant at the hospital?

in the uk because your young with no sinsiter symptoms gps dont like sending people for scopes

i have been on zoton, ranatidine and lots more acid drugs-

if it is a hernia you can always get recorrective surgery down

i would strongly advise to stay off alchol and cigs this will make your conditiion worse-try not to worry cause you will just produce more acid in your stomach

take care

kev

Old 06-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
    mojorisin29
    (male)

mojorisin29 HB User

Hey kev,

Do you ever get the feeling that there's an onstruction around your LES because of reflux? I dont' know, its like it feels almost inflamed - which would make sense as its been bombarded by corrosive stomach acid.
    I sometimes get a jolt of sharp pain in my stomach too, have you ever experienced this?

Cheers
    M

P.s. I am too a UK resident, the NHS is good but sometimes I get the feeling GP's are lobbied not to be completely thorough so as not to needlessly spend money. They do do a fantastic job though.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
    kevmos27
    (male)

kevmos27 HB User

yes dffo get pain as well due see const in 2 weeks so hope he des somethin

Closed Thread