It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Prilosec and Nexium combined

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-24-2007, 01:55 PM   #1
    Elga
    (female)

Elga HB User
    Prilosec and Nexium combined

Hello,

I'm on a twice 40 mg of Nexium. My brother on the other hand lives in Europe, has acid reflux and is on 40mg of Nexium in the moring and Prilosec in the evening (I think they call it Losec in France). Has any of you heard of someone prescribed this king of combo. I would like to try it, so curious to hear if it's a common thing.

In additon to acid reflux I have severe heartburns now (new), use to only have the acid reflux. Could anyone suggest something I could add to the Nexium for the heartburns. I am on a pretty stict diet except for a cup of coffee in the morning that I take after a fruit (non acidics one) and a banana.

Your answers are appreciated,

Elga

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
    IamNancy
    (female)

IamNancy HB User
    Re: Prilosec and Nexium combined

I have taken nexium and prilosec and now I take zegerid and pepsid ac together..you say you eat a banana..that makes me worse, I can only eat apples as a fruit..

Old 06-24-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
    marky1956
    (male)

marky1956 HB User

I take a Prilosec in the morning before breakfast, then take my 40mg Nexium in the late afternoon before dinner, which takes me thru to the next morning. I have also cut out ALL caffiene (coffee, caffinated soda & chocolate), along with all tomato products (red pizza, spaghetti, etc). I thought I'd have trouble getting along without all my favorite things, but it's not as bad as I thought. Reflux is much, much better.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:52 AM   #4
    blondy2061h
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

blondy2061h HB User

Prilosec and Nexium have the same active ingredient. You'd be better off taking one of the other twice a day than spliting it, though I suppose it really doesn't make a difference, but why would you want to take 2 different drugs? I mean, it's like saying you take Tylenol in the morning and Acetaminophen at night- they're the same. I believe Losec is Prevacid- so that makes a difference, because they are two different drugs. That might be done to prevent tolerance to one drug. I'm wondering if some of the other people here who take both are doing so because their prescription medication isn't doing enough for them, so they are supplementing with the OTC Prilosec. Pepcid is a totally different class of drugs, so I could say taking that with a PPI too.

Severe GERD and Gastroparesis- Prevacid, Domperidone, Zofran & Carafate as needed

Asthma- Advair 500/50, Qvar, Albuterol, Singular, Xolair

Old 06-26-2007, 11:42 AM   #5
    Elga
    (female)

Elga HB User

Hello,

Thanks for your replys. About the banana, I'm not sure if it does aggravate my symptoms or not I always have them. Some readings I've done say it lines your stomach, some say don't eat them. I guess I will stop for a while and see how it goess.

I've been following about the same diet mentionned here except for the coffe, I guess I will have to try that too. I know about it being bad but doctor said if not on an empyt stomach not as bad.....

Losec and Prilosec are both omeprazole and Nexium is esomeprazole. Don't know if they are different, sound a lot the same but with a little difference on the spelling so might contain different substances after all.

I never tried Pepsid ac,will look for it, have a nice day

Elga

Old 06-26-2007, 11:43 AM   #6
    Elga
    (female)

Elga HB User

Forgot to say about Zegerid, will look into that one too, never heard of it......

Elga

Closed Thread