It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Chest Pains?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-08-2007, 12:27 PM   #1
    Ruskingirl
    (female)

Ruskingirl HB User
    Chest Pains?

I just spent two days in the hospital having tests done because of chest pains. Come to find out, my heart is fine, they say it is acid reflux. Has anyone else experienced chest pains that worsen when you get up and move around with a burning sensation that throbs on the left side? My doctor prescribed Prilosec.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
    teacher2be
    Veteran
    (female)

teacher2be HB User
    Re: Chest Pains?

what do you mean throbs on the left side. because that kind of sounds like what i have. i have also experienced shortness of breath with my reflux. has anyone else. it might last 2 or 3 hours the most but kind of is off and on though. but i have the pain in middle of chest but sometimes also goes toward left side.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
    Donna K
    (female)

Donna K HB User

I also experience the scary chest pains on the left side. It has sent me to the ER on many occasions and my heart always checked out fine. I even had a ct scan of my coronary arteries just to be sure. I was recently dx with acid reflux by an ENT doctor and I've been taking OTC Zantac and it has helped a lot. The weird thing is that my gastro doctor did not find any evidence of reflux during my endoscopy. I did try Nexium and it make the chest pain worse. I still think chest pain should be checked out by your doctor or the ER.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:29 PM   #4
    Ruskingirl
    (female)

Ruskingirl HB User

Glad to know I am not alone. I have had terrible heartburn for the last three months or so, but have resently been dx with hyperparathyroidism which can cause GERD. I have surgery monday to remove my parathyroid gland and hopefully this will help the problem considerably.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:21 AM   #5
    Kellir
    (female)

Kellir HB User

My chest pain is usually always on the left side where my heart is and it can radiate to my armpit, left arm and around to my back. Youre not alone!
    Take care =D

Old 08-09-2007, 08:58 AM   #6
    noggin7717
    (male)

noggin7717 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ruskingirl View Post
    I just spent two days in the hospital having tests done because of chest pains. Come to find out, my heart is fine, they say it is acid reflux. Has anyone else experienced chest pains that worsen when you get up and move around with a burning sensation that throbs on the left side? My doctor prescribed Prilosec.
    Like many on this board, I to have been to the ER several times with what felt like heart pains. After eliminating the heart as the cause of pain/pressure with EKGs, chest x-rays, nuclear stress tests, cat scans, etc, it at least eases your mind that it's not your heart.

Mine also gets worse with getting up and moving around, I'm actually most comfortable with laying on my left side. It seems a lot of people are worse when they lie down as opposed to being upright, go figure.

You're not alone.

-Shawn

Old 08-09-2007, 11:05 AM   #7
    TWA1022
    Inactive
    (female)

TWA1022 HB User

Hello everyone! I was also in the hospital for 3 days about a month ago because I an episode of chest pressure and I ended up passing out. Well anyway they thought I suffered from vasovagal syndrome...which I may still but I also found out that I have a hiatal hernia, which can also mimic a lot of those same symptoms. I am currently taking Protonix 2x a day....hopefully this will help with the chest pressure. My pressure would be so bad that it would go into my left arm and my back....I thought for sure at times I was having a heart attack....and I'm only 29! I hope this helps and good luck to everyone!

Shell

Old 08-09-2007, 12:58 PM   #8
    Ruskingirl
    (female)

Ruskingirl HB User

I am surprised at the number of people who have experienced chest pains. I felt really stupid when the doctor came in the room and told me it is GERD. The problem I have is this, when do you go to the hospital??? Now I will probably hold off for too long before going in to the hosp....what if it is a heart attack? ; )

Thank you all.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:33 PM   #9
    teacher2be
    Veteran
    (female)

teacher2be HB User

mine also has been related to GERD and it is scary. i also have anxiety disorder and mitral valve prolapse and fibromyalgia so my chest pain can be from any of these and probably all of them. acid reflux is scary because it can make you feel so bad. the shortness of breath and burning is awful. my 40 mg of nexium helps some but always take tums and mylanta through out day. i have learned that what you eat is a big deal so i am trying to do better at that. and not eat at night which is hard. but the chest pains from it i have had to and had all the heart tests and they say it is fine.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:20 PM   #10
    TWA1022
    Inactive
    (female)

TWA1022 HB User

Ruskin,

I wonder the same thing...when do you know if it is your heart or not? I seriously thought that when I passed out with chest pressure that it was my heart, no a hiatal hernia! I had every test done possible on my heart, and they even did a tilt table test to check to see if that is why I was passing out....and it was negative! Apparently the hernia is affecting my vagus nerve! This is all kind of scary when you think about it. I would have never thought that all of this would be connected!

Shell

Closed Thread