It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Does anyone else get this

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-13-2007, 06:42 AM   #1
    stimi3ak
    (female)

stimi3ak HB User
    Question Does anyone else get this

I have had GERD for a few years now. It started one day after I ate a Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich that I had problems breathing. I was rushed to the emergency room via EMS where they discovered I was 99% oxygenated and fine. They said it was a panic attack. However I have never had one and didn't know why it would be all of a sudden. So I kept getting chest tightness/heaviness and shortness of breath along with a burning sensation at the base of my throat. Then over time my throat began to feel like it was swollen at the base and sometimes food feels like it gets stuck.

After an upper endoscopy they discovered GERD and a hiatal hernia. This past July I got the chest heaviness again and went to the ER because I literally couldn't breathe. They did all sorts of tests including chests x-rays and a ct scan but found nothing wrong. Again I was 99% oxygenated so they sent me back to my GI doctor.

He told me that severe acid can cause your esophagus, vocal chords and bronchial tubes to become inflamed thus limiting your diaphragm which makes it hard to breathe. They also discovered some of the acid has gone into my lungs. I have been on 40mg of Protonix 2X day but now they have me on Zegerid because Protonix didn't work. I also take Gaviscon after each meal.

My question is I do not feel that burning sensation that everyone else seems to get all the time. I just feel a really bad chest heaviness/tightness that makes it hard to breathe. I also have that lump feeling in my throat. Does anyone else have severe gerd or a hiatal hernia but not a lot of the burning sensation? Is that normal? And what do you do to ease the breathing problems? I'm desperate because it is ruling my life now.

Thanks!!!!!!

Last edited by stimi3ak; 09-13-2007 at 07:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2007, 07:29 AM   #2
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User
    Re: Does anyone else get this

Hello
    Well I have an 11 yr old daughter who recently started having acid reflux issues.This is how hers would go...Suddenly shed be choking and gasping for air telling me she could hardly breathe.This would go on for several minutes until she could breathe easy again.The way she described it was shed feel like a big lump suddenly came up into her throat felt like something really hard and then she couldnt breathe well.Also, she did'nt get a burning either and her stomach felt fine.When taken tot he doctor he did find her throat was very irritated and so diagnosed it as acid reflux problems and she takes Zantac now and been doing well.I do not know if this is how yours goes or if ive helped any but I wish you the best.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:55 AM   #3
    stimi3ak
    (female)

stimi3ak HB User

Thank you for the feedback. I do get the choking sensation but I also get the chest heaviness and difficulty breathing in. I'm sorry to hear your daughter had to go through that at such a young age. Sometime my breathing will be abnormal for days before the chest heaviness lifts. Does she get that too? If so tell her I am so sorry!! Again, thanks for responding.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:15 AM   #4
    Texas Tomato
    (female)

Texas Tomato HB User

My main symptom is the chest tightness/shortness of breath too! I have very little actual heartburn. I'm having a scope in two weeks, so don't know yet if I have a hernia.

I'm overweight but have lost 25 lbs. this summer, and my breathing seems to be a little better. So I'm hoping that as I continue to lose weight, perhaps I'll feel normal again someday.

I don't have any answers for you, but just wanted to commiserate. It's a panicky feeling.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:45 AM   #5
    stimi3ak
    (female)

stimi3ak HB User

You can commiserate with me at any time. It is debilitating to have this and I feel for all people who go through it. When your chest is finally healing does it ever feel itchy on the inside? Mine does right now and it's the first I've felt this so I don't know what it is from. I panic a lot when my throat feels like it is swelling up. Up until two weeks ago I was always having panic attacks because of the SOB and chest heaviness. Now I've learned to stop and calm down. I even listen to meditation cds which really help. However nothing gets rid of the chest heaviness/tightness.

I have another scope on Tuesday which I'm also nervous about. I hate being sedated and unaware of my surroundings. But I have to do it for them to see how bad the damage is to my esophagus and throat right now.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:13 AM   #6
    hopesprings2
    Inactive
    (female)

hopesprings2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stimi3ak View Post
    I have had GERD for a few years now. It started one day after I ate a Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich that I had problems breathing. I was rushed to the emergency room via EMS where they discovered I was 99% oxygenated and fine. They said it was a panic attack. However I have never had one and didn't know why it would be all of a sudden. So I kept getting chest tightness/heaviness and shortness of breath along with a burning sensation at the base of my throat. Then over time my throat began to feel like it was swollen at the base and sometimes food feels like it gets stuck.

After an upper endoscopy they discovered GERD and a hiatal hernia. This past July I got the chest heaviness again and went to the ER because I literally couldn't breathe. They did all sorts of tests including chests x-rays and a ct scan but found nothing wrong. Again I was 99% oxygenated so they sent me back to my GI doctor.

He told me that severe acid can cause your esophagus, vocal chords and bronchial tubes to become inflamed thus limiting your diaphragm which makes it hard to breathe. They also discovered some of the acid has gone into my lungs. I have been on 40mg of Protonix 2X day but now they have me on Zegerid because Protonix didn't work. I also take Gaviscon after each meal.

My question is I do not feel that burning sensation that everyone else seems to get all the time. I just feel a really bad chest heaviness/tightness that makes it hard to breathe. I also have that lump feeling in my throat. Does anyone else have severe gerd or a hiatal hernia but not a lot of the burning sensation? Is that normal? And what do you do to ease the breathing problems? I'm desperate because it is ruling my life now.

Thanks!!!!!!
    i get a lump thing and trouble breathing.maybe you are having problems with your lungs.who knows?might ask the doc to do a test on your lungs.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:12 AM   #7
    tonye49
    (male)

tonye49 HB User

stimi3ak-

I also have very similar symptoms as you do. I don't really feel the "burn" but severe heaviness and shortness of breath. This whole deal came out of nowhere on me and I had to be rushed to the ER because after eating a trigger type meal, I couldn't breathe and felt like I was having a heart attack. My PCP suspected GERD right off and sent me off to get an ultrasound on my gall bladder. I came up negative for stones so a 2nd HIDA Scan was set up and the results came back with my ejection fraction at 6%. That being severely low, they made the determination that it should come out. I've had it out for about 2 weeks now and still get the GERD symptoms. I am having an upper GI series next week to check for a hiatal hernia. Now that I know that my heart is fine and that it's the GERD causing these symptoms, I can now calm myself down whenever I feel one of these episodes coming on. Did they give you the GI Cocktail or Green Dragon in the ER? I've found that taking something like Maalox, although not nearly as powerful, helps me. But you can't take too many doses at one time.

I've been dealing with this for about 2 months now (seems like eternity already) and ever since have stayed STRICKLY on the bland diet and lots of water drinking. I feel a little better each day and think maybe the healthier eating habits and lost weight are playing a small role. I also makes me feel a little better knowing that I'm not alone in this horrible condition. Apples, bananas, grapes, non-sugary cereal w/ lowfat milk, turkey sandwiches, chicken noddle soup, and lots of water have helped me keep it bearable. And a little Maalox or I even heard Gas-X if after a meal something doesn't feel quite right. Good Luck.

Closed Thread