It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Anxiety and Stress

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-13-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
    neddy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

neddy HB User
    Anxiety and Stress

The one thing I see constantly on this board is talk of anxiety and stress. How many people out there have GERD but can honestly say they don't suffer from anxiety or extreme stress? I know it's possible but just wanted to see how many. I started getting GERD after about 6 months of high anxiety and stress. Since then the anxiety has been controlled and I get it only rarely. But when I am under stress for a few days I notice my reflux comes back with a vengence and stays that way for weeks before it gradually calms down again. Have to wonder if a year on xanax or something like that would get rid of reflux?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2007, 08:01 AM   #2
    stimi3ak
    (female)

stimi3ak HB User
    Re: Anxiety and Stress

I have your exact same problem. My reflux gets so bad I can't breathe and my chest is heavy. It is always at period of high anxiety and stress. I have taken xanax and ativan but neither one of them calmed down the acid reflux right away. My esophagus has to heal and the inflammation has to go down which sometimes takes 3 months. I know exactly how you feel!!!

Right now I'm on Zegerid and it is making my chest itch on the inside. My doctor said that is because everything is healing but I don't know. I still have the heaviness because the inflammation has not gone away.

Good Luck!

Old 09-13-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
    Texas Tomato
    (female)

Texas Tomato HB User

For me it's a question of which comes first, the chicken or the egg? I'm not consciously aware of any anxiety that I felt before this came on, but I certainly do get VERY anxious and stressed when I feel I can't breathe! So it's kind of a vicious circle.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:50 AM   #4
    tonye49
    (male)

tonye49 HB User

That's funny because that's kind of what I told one of the ER Dr.'s one time when I first started having the attacks and didn't know what it was. They said that panic and worrying were making it worse. They of course didn't have GERD so I told them well if you ever feel like you can't breathe or like you're having a heart attack, let's see if you just might panic a little bit. Especially if you have no idea of what is going on like in the beginning stages of GERD.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #5
    neddy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

neddy HB User

I think anxiety and stress slows down digestion and may even cause problems with digesting food. Problem is how can you go completely stress free? even if you go for a period of months sooner or later some stress will come and the damn reflux bounces back. Seems like I only need a couple stressful days to bring back some wicked reflux.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:07 AM   #6
    rich58
    (male)

rich58 HB User

I'll second that. I don't know how you can go through this without a significant amount of stress. It is kind of a visious circle, GERD stresses you out and the stress makes GERD worse. I am going for a scope tomorrow that definitly adds to the stress.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:12 AM   #7
    neddy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

neddy HB User

I really did it this time. Was feeling ok but couldn't resist the urge. I ate a bag of potato chips with French Onion dip on them. Oh man my throat burns. Sometimes you just can't stop yourself. Man, did it feel good eating them though.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:38 PM   #8
    rich58
    (male)

rich58 HB User

I can usually do good for about a month but then I have to eat something good that I know I will pay for later. Oh well.

Closed Thread