It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• LPR, I'm not alone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-23-2007, 10:58 AM   #1
    soreeverything
    (female)

soreeverything HB User
    Question LPR / silent reflux, I'm not alone?

I just found this site and am a bit relieved. here's my stats, does it really sound like LPR to you?

3 months ago I began having a sore throat, went to GP, he gave me 3 rounds of antibiotics with no result. Cbc / monostat came back normal. He refered me to ENT. By the time I went to ENT my symptoms changed and worsened. I still had a sore throat but also had sore nasal passages, feeling of thick post nasal drip, feeling of having a fever but never had one, ear aches, extreamly sore back of nasal passage, red, veiny throat in general all over, red swollen tonsils (not extreamly swollen but noticable) and red sore area infront of tonsils on the arch part of my mouth. I never have experienced heartburn, except when i was pregnant (almost 1 1/2 years ago). I was scoped and everything "looked normal" said the ENT. The ENT began treating me for silent reflux with prevacid 30 mg 1x/day. I saw little improvement and returned to the ENT multiple times with little result or answers. I also went to an allergist to eliminate that being a factor, which it is not -- i am only allergic moderatly to dust mites. Allergist agreed it was silent reflux and up'ed my dose of prevacid to 30mg 2x/day. I just starrted taking the double dose today, so we'll see if that has any effect.

Do these symptoms seem LPR related???? I have been in agony over what is wrong with me for 3 months. I am a helthy 28 year old with no history of any health problems.

How long will it take the prevacid to have an effect on my sore everythings? Is it true it could take months?

Sorry so long

Any input is truely appreciated!

Last edited by soreeverything; 09-23-2007 at 12:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
    Re: LPR, I'm not alone?

The aging process can be such a pain! I am sorry that it is taking so long for the docs to find an answer for you but sometimes that's what it takes...time. And now they are trying to find out what works for you...again time...ugh! I am thinking with the increase in your latest meds that you should soon start to feel better but it will take a long while to clear everything up. In the meantime, have they given you something to kind of relax you as it is obvious that you are in emotional distress and could use some help in that area...or if you are in pain did they give you something for it? If not I wouldn't hesitate asking for something to help you get through this until something kicks in or works. Good luck but don't give up in the search in finding the right cure...when it is all over you will be able to advise others in what worked.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:19 AM   #3
    chodin
    (female)

chodin HB User

No, you are not alone. I had almost the exact same symptoms as you, started with antibiotics, etc. and nothing helped. My ENT said the same thing, that I had silent GERD. I went back to my MD and he started me on Nexium, which was somewhat working, but after two weeks he switched me to Protonix 40mg once a day. I have been on meds now for almost 4 weeks and finally, I'm feeling some relief. I still have a plugged ear at times, and if I do too much or get stressed, here comes the sore throat. The amount of phlegm in my throat in the mornings has also diminished, noticeably. I'm scheduled for an EGD scope and a colonoscopy (I'm almost 50 so I decided to get it done and over with since they'll knock me out anyway) next week, so the GE doc should have some answers for me. All the docs seem to think it is LPR or, most likely, an injury of some sort to my esophagus. The good news is that no matter which it is, the treatment is the same: daily PPI for 8 weeks. It will be good to know for sure what I've been dealing with. The fatigue is also finally going away. I've not missed any work since this all started and it's been a struggle, but I feel I am getting better. Hang in there!
    I'm in the medical field and work at a trauma center and if for some reason I'm not fully recovered at the end of 8 weeks of Protonix, then I will see a infectious disease doctor.
    My best to you!

Old 09-23-2007, 01:28 PM   #4
    YankeeRoseO1
    (female)

YankeeRoseO1 HB User

Hi,
    I have had gerds and LPR for over a year now. If you are on double doses of ppi, it will probably take 2-6 weeks, and a change in diet before you start feelig better. Stay away from carbonated beverages, caffeine, chocolate and tomato products and of course spicey foods. Be really strict about this for about 6 weeks, so that everything has a chance to heal.
    Some people find a complete cure after a few months, and some of us dont really ever find a cure. We just learn to control it and live with it the best we can. With me, some days are better than others. I also feel fatigued alot..and stress and anxiety is a big factor for me with this also. I am taking zoloft 1x a day for anxiety and to ease some of my esophageal spasms that I do get from time to time. I think it has helped some. Dont hesitate to ask your dr for some anti anxiety medication, because this condition does cause alot of stress and worry and when we worry, we make this condition so much worse.
    Take care and good luck to you!
    Rose

Last edited by YankeeRoseO1; 09-23-2007 at 01:30 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to YankeeRoseO1 For This Useful Post:
    melody627 (04-23-2011)
    Old 09-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #5
    soreeverything
    (female)

soreeverything HB User
    Question Re: LPR / silent reflux, I'm not alone?

Thanks for everyone's input.

How about the symptoms, do they seem straight forward LPR???

1. sore throat
    2. extreamly dry and sore back of nasal passage
    3. feeling of thick post nasal drip
    4. feeling of having a fever but never had one
    5. ear aches
    6. red, swollen (congested), sore nasal passages
    7. red, veiny throat in general all over
    8. red swollen tonsils (not extreamly swollen but noticable)
    9. red sore area infront of tonsils on the arch part of my mouth.

Again, basically a sore everything!

One more question -- Does it matter when I take PPI? I've been told to take it on an empty stomach and not eat anything for an hour or two after taking it -- Is this true??

Last edited by soreeverything; 09-23-2007 at 05:46 PM.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:35 PM   #6
    mommyinVA
    (female)

mommyinVA HB User

You are definitely not alone. Unfortunately I've had LPR for two years now. There are times when it's better, but during the Fall it seems to get worse. I think stress plus a virus started mine. It started right after I went back to work after having my second child. I have tried Nexium and Prilosec, but seem to get bad side effects from them. I take 10 mg of Pepcid AC in the a.m. and 20 mg in the p.m. Sometimes this works, but lately it hasn't. I probably need to do something stronger. I'm considering aciphex. I'm just afraid of the side effects. As for symptoms, my primary one is excessive phlegm in the throat and sore throat. It drives me crazy and when times are tough, I find myself doing quite a bit of throat clearing. Hang in there - there are people that are cured and you are certainly on the right track as far as medicines go.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:58 AM   #7
    neddy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

neddy HB User

I've noticed that with LPR whether you are taking PPI's (or whatever) you still have the same symptoms. I took PPI's for 6 months, and I've been off PPI's for almost 6 months. I have the same up and down periods either way. Just because you feel a little better sometimes while taking PPI's it doesn't mean you wouldn't have improved without them. I'd rather do without the side effects (I can't sleep while taking PPI's).

Closed Thread