It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Getting worried

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
    LocaJoker
    (female)

LocaJoker HB User
    Getting worried

can anyone relate to these symptoms?
    They include-
    tight chest, tight throat, being unable to swallow properly, mucus in throat, difficulty breathing, burning/gagging/lump in the throat, burping and bloating.
    What has really got me scared is suddenly feeling like I literally cant breathe. I would be sitting down normally and all of a sudden I gasp for air. Its bloody scary and I was just wondering if this was related to acid reflux?
    Sometimes it feels like im not breathing right but I am getting enough oxygen. But the sudden not being able to breathe thing is making me more anxious
    can anyone suggest what it could be?
    Please respond
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
    ryleetn
    (female)

ryleetn HB User
    Re: Getting worried

I have it at night when I am starting to fall asleep it feels like someone is smothering me and I jump up, scares me, mentioned it to my dr and she acted like it was nothing?

Old 10-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #3
    stimi3ak
    (female)

stimi3ak HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LocaJoker View Post
    can anyone relate to these symptoms?
    They include-
    tight chest, tight throat, being unable to swallow properly, mucus in throat, difficulty breathing, burning/gagging/lump in the throat, burping and bloating.
    What has really got me scared is suddenly feeling like I literally cant breathe. I would be sitting down normally and all of a sudden I gasp for air. Its bloody scary and I was just wondering if this was related to acid reflux?
    Sometimes it feels like im not breathing right but I am getting enough oxygen. But the sudden not being able to breathe thing is making me more anxious
    can anyone suggest what it could be?
    Please respond
    Thanks
    Hi Loca,

EVERYTHING you described is exactly what I have going on. Please look for some of my other posts because this is the exact thing I pleaded with people to tell me if they had the same. Since March I have been short of breath. I even changed GI doctors because the first tried to tell me it was all in my head.

I was waking up with acid burning my throat and in my mouth. I knew that had to have something to do with it. I was also very nauseas and my chest felt so heavy/tight. I literally could not breathe and at times could be heard gasping for air. It finally turned into anxiety and I began to have panic attacks which just made all my symptoms worse.

After an endoscopy and a pH Probe it ws discovered I have gastritis, esophagitis, GERD and a hiatal hernia. On top of all that since i only go to the bathroom once a week I have IBS. All of those things cause pressure which pushes up against your diaphragm and will cause shortness of breath. I've noticed mine gets a lot worse after eating. I used to be an avid soda drinker and can no longer touch the stuff. I've also had to cut out any tomato based foods and most cheeses.

After two trips to the emergency room and a fabulous new gastronologist I am now on 40mg Nexium 1 X day, 10 ml of Carafate 4 X day and 75 mg of Effexor 1 X day. After a month I can tell you my breathing is not nearly as bad. I am not perfect yet but it will take a good 6 months.

Part of my SOB is also the acid was refluxing over my esophagus and onto my lungs. It was also damaging the nerves that went from my esophagus to my lungs. That takes a long time to properly heal.

I do suggest getting lots of rest and drinking plenty of water. I also eat a lot of veggies, fruits, baked chicken, brown rice, total raisin bran, oatmeal and other healthy foods that are better for your digestive tract. Every now and then I will eat something unhealthy but it is rare.

I also sleep with a heating pad against my chest on medium and menthol rubbed into my chest. That helps a lot! There is also this lavendar Johnsons massage oil which calms me down for some unknown reason. It's a good excuse to soften the skin if nothing else.

Part of the reason you begin to feel like you are not breathing right is because you have become aware of your breathing. You will begin to panic which leads to hyperventilation. I have learned to distract myself during these times. At the beginning it was hard but with meditation cd's and anti-anxiety medication I am doing a lot better!!!

As I said....please look for some of my earlier posts because this exact problem is what brought me to healthboards to begin with.

Good luck and keep me updated!!!

Last edited by stimi3ak; 10-20-2007 at 09:37 PM.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
    LocaJoker
    (female)

LocaJoker HB User

thanks alot for your responses, I will take into consideration what you have said. I feel like Im going crazy!

Old 10-21-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
    CHALUPA
    (female)

CHALUPA HB User

I feel the same way i have been dealing this for 1.5 years and i am 34 years old. The breathing and chest tightness and pain are the worst. I sometimes feel like i am haveing a nerves break down. I go to so many docters and have tryed all meds and they don;t help at all.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:22 AM   #6
    Texas Tomato
    (female)

Texas Tomato HB User

Definitely can relate to the shortness of breath and belching. That's been the worst of it.

It comes and goes. Some days it seems like I'm getting better; then I wake up and I can tell I'm going to have another bad day. Don't know what to tell you, just wanted to sympathize and let you know you're not alone.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:17 PM   #7
    FarmGirl31
    (female)

FarmGirl31 HB UserFarmGirl31 HB User

Quote:
    After two trips to the emergency room
    Stimi3,

What did they do for you at the ER when u want, and what symptoms caused u to go in the first place?

Did they say you could die...? Or that it was the GERD and other things, plus the anxiety....?

I am asking because a few times I have been worried about some trouble breathing but didnt go to the ER cuz I figured i woudl be sent home with some Xanax or something....

Old 10-22-2007, 04:27 PM   #8
    stimi3ak
    (female)

stimi3ak HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FarmGirl31 View Post
    Stimi3,

What did they do for you at the ER when u want, and what symptoms caused u to go in the first place?

Did they say you could die...? Or that it was the GERD and other things, plus the anxiety....?

I am asking because a few times I have been worried about some trouble breathing but didnt go to the ER cuz I figured i woudl be sent home with some Xanax or something....

Hi Farmgirl,

I was sent home with a dosage of Ativan which was administered through my IV. It ended up knocking me out but the symptoms still persisted.

What happens is my chest begins to feel heavy and then my lungs feel like they are being constricted. I will begin to think I am making myself breathe because my lungs won't do it on their own.

Every time I have gone to the ER they have told me I am 100% oxygenated. They do x-rays of my lungs and find nothing. I even had the blood oxygen test done which HURTS and my stats were better than my ER doctor and attending nurses.

They also would give me a GI cocktail (or that is what they called it) but it didn't relieve the symptoms. I am looking for something that stops the reflux enough that it does not go to my lungs.

I saw you posted something in another board about pine nut oil. Does this not help you with your breathing? Is it just the reflux it helps you with? Because if you are still SOB that probably means the pine nut oil is only numbing your esophagus so you don't feel the reflux. But you are probably still refluxing into your lungs.

I have a plethora of digestive issues and I'm only 29. I am underweight so I do not fit the stereotype for having these issues. My only common thread with the others is I have lots of anxiety. I am taking 75 mg of Effexor to help with that.

I've been dealing with this since March which offically makes it my longest bout with this flare up ever. Normally they would last 2 - 3 months and be done.

And no they have never told me I"m going to die. One time they even rolled their eyes and laughed because they said I was having a panic attack. Of course they said this AFTER they had one all the x-rays, blood work and heart tests. I'm always told to relax and not eat foods which bother me. The problem is I don't know what foods those are because I'm short of breath almost every day.

How often are you SOB? And does the pine nut oil not help with that? I've heard coconut water will but have not tried it yet.

Good luck!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:56 AM   #9
    FarmGirl31
    (female)

Thanks Stimi, for the reply! It has helped me.

The Pine Nut Oil.... I dont believe it numbs my throat, no. It has completely stopped the reflux, period. I would get BAD LP reflux ( laryngeal/pharngeal), coughing, choking, and yes, the waking up at night sometimes... troubles with breathing, swallowing, burping after eating the smallest amount of anything, etc. I was in a great deal of discomfort for a large percentage of the time and this seriously did alter my quality of life (as I am sure it does for you and others on here).

I had a "breathing episode" in eary September that scared me pretty badly in particular. I dont think I was refluxing but I hadnt eaten all day, and I have Gastroparesis.... I was bloated in my guts/intestines I believe, due to poor diet and consumption of beer the night before. So I was already a bit uncomfortable that day. The not eating wasnt good... as I have hypoglycemia and start feeling anxious and jumpy from lack of food. The trouble breathing felt like I was being suffocated. My stomach was bloated and I think, so full of air that it FELT like i had to fight to breathe (sound familiar?). Then I did get anxious... well who wouldnt, it is very scary to have trouble breathing... My guts felt like they were twitching and spasming, I dont know how else to put it.

In desperation, I took a mild tranquilizer (Klonopin) and in a short time I was fine! My guts were still all bloated but I was totally free of having to gasp for air..... I mean I was just fine. I am thinking a tranquilizer would not have worked had it been a really serious problem. It relaxed my nerves and muscles and I was just fine and hardly noticed at all the trouble breathing/trouble expanding my lungs due to pressure in the gut/stomach area pushing on the lungs and diaphragm, is my guess what was happening.

I think some of us are just more anxiety prone and sensitive to certain stimuli and a lot more sensitive and aware of our breathing and any potential threats to it. I know I have a history of anxiety all my life... I used to get very bad panic attacks for years and prior to that was always just a nervous, anxious person. Also generalized anxiety and social anxiety disorder. Personally I hate labels but am listing these because they are pretty well known in this day and age.

I think learning to relax in general will be quite helpful in dealing with GERD and all other symptoms/problems.

Have u ever seen an allergist to see if youre allergic/sensitive to any foods in particular? You dont have to have a full blown severe reaction to be allergic, it could cause something as mild as a slight headache or bloating even.

I dont think its reflux into my lungs causing the breathing problems, at least for me. It defintely is something in my stomach area itself.... bloat and distended abdomen, pushing against my lungs. I am thankful I dont have the reflux in my lungs! And with the Pine Nut Oil, never at all! It does come back afer a few weeks if i stop the Oil and also keep eating garbage, which I admit I have a tendency to do.

Best wishes,

FarmGirl

Old 10-24-2007, 06:16 AM   #10
    stimi3ak
    (female)

stimi3ak HB User

Hi Farmgirl,

I posted in another area where you had left the pine nut oil info but I wanted to do the same thing here. How do you consume the pine nut oil? I found it on the internet from a website that deals with GERD issues specifically. I just wanted to know the way that worked for you.

And did you continue taking your GERD medication with it at the beginning? I am wondering if it will be okay to take with my Nexium and Effexor.

Before you took the pine nut oil were you short of breath all the time? I have been that way it seems for a few months now. It sucks!!! This past weekend was the worst because I was stupid and had sweet tea, caramel brownies and some ice cream. I knew better but I can not fathom a life where I no longer get to eat those things.

And yes, beer will give you that SOB feeling especially since it bloats you. I stay away from alcohol and I live in an area where they have the best margaritas!! It was a long summer.

I'm looking forward to hearing back from you!

Old 10-24-2007, 09:19 AM   #11
    FarmGirl31
    (female)

Hi there!

I wish I knew which site u found the Oil on... I didnt realize that a lot of companies sold out. I use one inparticular, the first one I tried, and its awesome as ive said.. I hope other brands will work as well for you....

I take 1 teaspoon twice a day, morning and night, and chase it with a full glass of water. They actually recommend 3 teaspoons a day or even more but this dosage worked for me. You might want to take the 3 tsps a day and not 2, maybe in the beginning when youre most in need of the healing? Just a thought.

ANd thats all there is to it! It has to be refrigerated after its opened, too, but thats it.

Yes I am pretty sure I did still take my GERD med... whichever one I was on at the time (I was up to my 4th).... yes, I did. After 2 weeks or so, feeling noticeably better, I quit taking the GERD medication... I think I tapered off it over a week or 10 day period (please ask your doctor about how to discontinue it). Then I kept on with the Pine Nut Oil.... a little wary... wondering if my symptoms and distress would come back... and if anything, I just kept getting better!! I think even just 1 month on the Oil I noticed a BIG difference.... and started eating junk to "test" myself....

I am telling u, the stuff was a miracle for me and I wish it had that same effect on everyone who suffers (and suffer is the right word) with this nasty ailment.

I did have trouble breathing, bouts of it, at this time, yes. That prob is worse now though, becauise I gained 50 pounds (!!) since the time i first started the Pine Nut Oil and I think the weight gain really makes worse anything digestive-related, in particular the bloating and breathing stuff, distended abdomen, etc. I think if i lost the weight, the prob might take care of itself cuz its more a bloat and distended gut prob now than a GERD thing. GERD and LP reflux vanished with the Oil!

Closed Thread