It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• What can a gastrologist do to treat acid reflux?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-31-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
    jamie38
    (female)

jamie38 HB User
    What can a gastrologist do to treat acid reflux?

What can a gastrologist do to treat acid reflux?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2007, 01:22 PM   #2
    neddy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

neddy HB User
    Re: What can a gastrologist do to treat acid reflux?

Nothing, nothing at all. Better results going to a witch doctor. In fact if there was a witch doctor around I would go to him.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
    Red60
    Veteran
    (male)

Red60 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neddyflanders View Post
    Nothing, nothing at all. Better results going to a witch doctor. In fact if there was a witch doctor around I would go to him.
    ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

The worst thing is it's true!!!

They can give you some PPI meds. For a lot of people that does bring relief. Hopefully you are one of those who it helps because they don't have much else to offer.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:31 PM   #4
    CrazyLife414
    Veteran
    (female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User

AMEN..if you find that Witch doctor let me know!!

Jamie..you are probably fine sticking with you PCP doc. Mine at least cares! The GI Docs just want to run tests that cost ALOT of money and then tell you that you have GERD and need to be on drugs for your whole life, that stop working after a month or give you such nasty side effects that you want to or think you are going to die!!!! Then they put you on something else and it is a vicious cycle!

I have to say that the things that actually do work for me are :
    a. eating small meals throughout the day, not letting my stomach get full.
    b. not eating heavy carbs
    c. !!!!REDUCE STRESS!!!!
    d. not bending over after putting anything (even water) in my stomach

And honesty these don't always work!

Anyway, I am sure that you sense the total frustration that some of us that are long time sufferers are feeling!!
    Take Care of you!!!
    Crazy

Old 10-31-2007, 06:27 PM   #5
    buildingmaint
    (male)

buildingmaint HB User

WOW. , AND I thought that I was the only one who got feed up with GI docs. All they wanted to do for me is take more meds ,take more meds. Even after I told them that taking a larger dose's of PPI's increased my reflux and insured that I would refluxed. They would hear none of that , must of thought that I was lying.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:33 PM   #6
    bowdenta
    (male)

bowdenta HB User

if you have changed your diet and still get reflux symptoms 5+ times a week you are going to need some sort of medical intervention. true drugs like prilosec OTC and prevacid will allow you to eat lasagna and vinegar smothered pineapples with no problems but eventually the drugs become less effective over time - powerful as they may be when you start taking them. if you get intense pain you might want to check for an esophageal ulcer or erosion of the esophagus. both of them can lead to increased reflux and ulcers can form growths which can sometimes be malignant. read up on erosive esophagitis and barrets esophagus I had an Ulcer in my esophagus which was finally determined after a gastrointerologist gave me an endoscope (camera down my throat) nexium made me right as rain

Closed Thread