It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• acid reflux (so I have told)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-04-2007, 04:41 AM   #1
    patdunn
    (male)

patdunn HB User
    acid reflux (so I have told)

I am on Nexium for my problem. I was told it is acid reflux, but I am questioning it. just want to know if anyone else has my problem. I get a tickle in my throat and I cough until I cough up a clear thick slime. I have never had heart burn in my life, nor do I have any pain. Nexium is not helping me at all, I also tried lo losec. I have had a cat scan, lungs are clear, I also had the camera down my throat, stomach seems clear. I am sick of having this slime in my throat, can anyone help me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2007, 07:28 AM   #2
    noggin7717
    (male)

noggin7717 HB User
    Re: acid reflux (so I have told)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by patdunn View Post
    I am on Nexium for my problem. I was told it is acid reflux, but I am questioning it. just want to know if anyone else has my problem. I get a tickle in my throat and I cough until I cough up a clear thick slime. I have never had heart burn in my life, nor do I have any pain. Nexium is not helping me at all, I also tried lo losec. I have had a cat scan, lungs are clear, I also had the camera down my throat, stomach seems clear. I am sick of having this slime in my throat, can anyone help me
    I've been questioning my diagnosis since it has been handed down for some of the same reasons you are questioning.

I don't have any burning either. I used to have very bad heartburn in my mid-20s, but now that I'm past mid 30s, I no longer have the burn. It has been pressure-feeling. So I know beyond doubt what excessive acid is and the burning feeling, I've had none of that in my bout with GERD.

I too get the tickle in the throat, cough, hack, yuck, and out comes slimy clear nasty.

Have had the same tests, xrays, barium-swallow, endo-scope, etc, and they say "There's nothing wrong, you're all good". And I'm thinking the whole while, "Then what the heck is wrong with me!"

My biggest fear is that I'm being mis-diagnosed and when they finally do get around to figuring out what's going on, it'll be long past the stage they can do anything about it. It'll only be a year next month since my DX of GERD, but anymore I can't remember what it's like to feel "normal".

-Noggin

Old 12-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Hi; it's true that all those symptoms can be GERD symptoms. Many of us don't have the "heartburn", per se (I've only had burn there since my pregnancy). But some of us get throat burn, constant "burping", sinus-like problems, burning stomach, chest pain (sore, not burn), coughing (my mother has that as a prime example) etc. This isn't uncommon at all.

The problem is, while GERD can present all these ways, other things can present that way, too. GI disorders often seem to interlock in symptoms! (Sometimes for some of us, I think GERD itself is really a symptom, and not the problem itself - as with gastroparesis which can cause these problems.)

Old 12-04-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

When in doubt, get a 2nd, 3rd 4th opinion! I had chest pains ( sharp and shooting) and was misdiagnosed by 3 docs--saying it was muscular and to take advil. Well guess what, a doc finally diagnosed me w GERD and the advil over time of course made it worse!

I am going in for my first endo tomorrow

Old 12-04-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
    marky1956
    (male)

marky1956 HB User

I have been fighting this flem thing, too, for about a year now. The mornings are the worst, but I tangle with it throughout the day. I have been diagnosed with LPR (Laryngopharyngeal reflux). I have had the endoscopy and everything is clear, no Barret's esophogus. From everything I've read, LPR and GERD are different reflux disorders. The term LPR is used to describe the acid in the stomach that comes up into the throat at the level of the laryngopharynx. LPR causes irritation and changes in the larynx. GERD is caused by the backflow of gastric contents into the esophagus, which leads to tissue damage or esophagitis and heartburn. Don't ask me the difference in those 2 (LOL), doesn't the acid have to pass the esophogus to get to the throat?? So if you have NO heartburn symptoms, you probably suffer from LPR. Read up on it.

I am on/off with the Nexium, but the flem issue remains the same. I need to stay off coffee, chocolate and all caffeine drinks, period. I was going to go back to the Dr for another look at my throat and the flem issue, but he'll tell me what you've all been earing..... "you're fine". Right.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:22 AM   #6
    patdunn
    (male)

patdunn HB User

thanks Marky for your input, I too have come to that conclusion that I have LPR. It is strange, I had this about 1 1/2 years ago, lost weight and it went away, I have gained about 30 lbs back so now I am on a diet again. Are you over weight as well, or am I just drawing at straws? Would love to hear your reply, thanks, Pat

Closed Thread