It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Have GERD, Breast Pain Today

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-09-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
    Amy50
    (female)

Amy50 HB User
    Have GERD, Breast Pain Today

A few weeks ago I went to the ER thinking I'm having a heart attack. I felt pain n my left breast but not deep in my chest. I was admitted and tested and it was all negative for heart related disease. They gave me an antacid IV and I just stayed overnight. I am already on Prevacid.

Today I have a similar pain but in both breasts, the inner parts that face each other. It's not a breast issue, just had a mammogram. Has anyone else felt this as part of acid reflux or gas? I am burping a lot so hope that's all it is. I am also very stressed out now and it comes on when I think of my problems for a few seconds then goes away. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User
    Re: Have GERD, Breast Pain Today

Hi Amy. My acid issue started 8 months ago, went away and then came back about 6 wks ago. I was having shooting pains in my right breast and it did not occur to me it was my acid acting up. I went to my gyn and from the general exam she did not feel anything of concern w my breast. Over the wks my acid got so much worse...I then made the connection that the breast pain was from my espho. spasms.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:50 AM   #3
    eltwins
    (female)

eltwins HB User

What a relief for me to find someone else with this problem! Sorry, I know it is not nice for you! Mine is normally in my left breast, but can on occassion be found in the right!
    I get this pain when I am stressed out and my digestion/ hiatus hernia plays up. However, it still freaks me out each time and I think it is my heart, although that has all been checked out fine. I still think perhaps they missed something or it is a new condition since they checked me out!
    It is worse when I think about it, but it is always at the back of my mind.
    Do you get pain in your shoulder also?

Old 12-10-2007, 06:35 AM   #4
    Amy50
    (female)

Amy50 HB User

Thank you both so much for your reassuring replies. I also have a hiatal hernia. I also start thinking there's something they didn't find. I was told to go for a stress test so I think maybe something else is going on like very badly clogged arteries. I do know that I have not had a heart attack from the EKG and enzyme tests.

I don't get shoulder pain. Just a burning feeling in the inner part of my breasts, seems more superficial than deep, also on the top part of my right breast, sometimes left. I remember once having an eye emergency, waiting in the ER waiting room and having the same pain. So it has to be stress related. I know panic attacks bring on chest pain, although I have had these and never any chest pain, but there is definately a connection. Esophageal spasms, this has been told to me by a doctor also. Are either of you on meds? What do you take when this happens? In the hospital they gave me a Donnatal and I know that can stop them. The pain went away last night, hope it doesn't come back!

Old 12-10-2007, 07:37 AM   #5
    LELE31
    (female)

LELE31 HB User

Hi everyone, just registered today -thankfully found this board. It's a good feeling knowing you are not alone. The doc's think you're crazy when you're trying to figure this whole GERD thing out, when your symtoms are so weird down to having the tingly, numb, shooting pain in your breasts to the areola area. It's very frightening the way your body reacts to this reflux/gerd, but it's very real!
    I'm so sorry we all have to deal with this. I am a wreck, I went from being so well to having such strange symtoms all realting to gerd, my life has stopped in a way, constantly anxious, can't eat, been there too with the ER several times, test after test, now having trouble swallowing.--I too had a Mamo to check things out. I have to hear my own words when I say try to stay calm, take deep breaths and use a warm heating pad to help with the breast pain...One more thing -- I was working out a lot with weights, on top of getting diagnosed with gerd- I was told I had Costochondritis, which is very painful in the chest/breast area. Try to have a good day!

Old 12-10-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

I am on aciphex which barely helps now. I get pain in my breast, but the worst pain is a sharp shooting pain that feels like its my heart. I just remind myself, its GERD not my heart.

My new thing is waking up in the middle of the night "choking" on I guess acid. Not fun to wake up that way, its quite scary. Hopefully nobody has really choked all the way due to acid.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:09 PM   #7
    Amy50
    (female)

Amy50 HB User

K2626, I have woken up choking, swallowing uncontrollably and gasping for air, throat burning like fire from the acid. I raised my headboard 4 inches on bricks and don't eat after 7 p.m. most of the time. Please try that...I have not choked once since I raised the head of the bed. You can buy a wedge also but that can bend your tummy in a way that makes things worse, better to be on an angle the way the brocks (ot books, or anything you can find).

Old 12-10-2007, 11:06 PM   #8
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
    My new thing is waking up in the middle of the night "choking" on I guess acid. Not fun to wake up that way, its quite scary. Hopefully nobody has really choked all the way due to acid
    My thoughts exactly. I too wondered whether it is possible. I have the same problem. It does get very scary, because one can't tell whether the choking is going to stop.
    My doctor suggested raising the bed, as described by Amy. I guess it helps a little, though it does not solve the problem. I now get these choking attacks also during the day. Strangely, I never taste anything acidic. There is no taste at all. The choking is always unexpected and I cannot feel it coming. I often feel as if I am about to drown, too full of liquids to breathe. Reflexively, I start swallowing repeateadly to clear the obstruction/liquid. It does not work.
    When I start choking/couging, there's not much I can really do other than wait for it to subside. It took almost fifteen minutes the other morning. Luckily, it happened at home, not at work.

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 12-10-2007 at 11:11 PM.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:16 PM   #9
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Eating before 7 is not an option for me as I do not get home from the gym till 8, so I usually eat at 9. BUT I do not go to sleep till midnight.

I am on the hunt for a wedge pillow, I prop my pillows up but it does not help.

I do not taste the acid either, I just wake up choking or go to bed with difficulty swallowing, I will sit up and literally can feel the fluid going back down my espho. So strange. It would be interesting to know if one could choke on acid, though we prob. do not want to know---it may make us MORE anxious!

Closed Thread