It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• constant feeling of trapped phlegm in the throat.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-26-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
    bow57
    (male)

bow57 HB User
    constant feeling of trapped phlegm in the throat.

(I've also posted this on the Ear, Nose, Throat and Lung/Respiratory boards):

Is there ANY way to treat this? Where is the pathology centered? I've had a laryngoscopy (nothing found on the vocal cords), endoscopy and colonoscopy (esophagus looks fine), swallowing, motility and PH tests (everything functioning; only a small amount of acid), an MRI (negative), a sinus CT scan (ditto) and other exams, yet the sensation persists. One theory is that it's minor reflux; another says it might be reactive airway disease (something in the upper trachea and/or bronchi); another suggests it might be post-nasal drip. Maybe it's a combination of all three. I am taking Prevacid, and I'll soon be buying a special elevated pillow. I might have a bronchoscopy to rule out any pulmonary involvement.

Anyone else have the same infernal problem? Is there any hope? Or is this sensation permanent, the manifestation of invisible scarring or secretion or somesuch? Thanks, Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
    serenityls
    (female)

serenityls HB User
    Re: constant feeling of trapped phlegm in the throat.

Hi Dave,

I also have that sensation. It's actually more than a sensation as there is phlegm there. For me, it is thick and stringy (yuck, I know). However, I have had my throat checked twice (can't recall the name of the test) but my nostril and throat were numbed and a thin wire inserted so that the ENT can look at my throat and vocal cords. In my case, he did see the acid damage and said it was classic LPR. Apparently, your body will automatically try and protect against the acid going into the throat area with an extra production of the phlegm. In addition to the phlegm though, I have numerous other symptoms. Scratchy throat, gagging. choking, voice loss and on and on..

Good luck with your other tests, but if you have any other symptoms like mine, perhaps go and see an ENT for a similar test.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
    Janster
    (female)

Janster HB User

yeah..similar feeling. I have all sorts of weird sensations and they don't always occur at the same time.

Sometimes - it feels like *a flap* inside my upper throat. If I lay down, its hard to breathe (sort of) and causes me to experience sleep apnea (stop breathing then gasp for air). Sometimes I can roll to different positions (on my side) and make it feel better. On one occasion here recently - I'm not sure what I did, but that *flap* suddenly opened up and I could breathe better.

It's weird.....and I haven't really has this part checked out. I'm still under acid reflux meds and completed an endoscopy.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:25 PM   #4
    jackcc
    (male)

jackcc HB User

I've had that horrible feeling for years. I used to carry a Coke all the time to wash the stuff down my throat. Had the throat checked and found nothing. They usually say its post nasal drip. I always have to sleep on my side. I used carbonated drinks to clear it.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
    CharBerry
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Strange you mentioned using coke to help your LPR. It's suppose to be the worst thing for you. All carbonated beverages, in fact. But, I feel the same as you. When I drink a good cold coke it does seem to remove that mucus feeling. Especially with ice. I don't feel like Coke bothers me at all and my Dr. say's to just not drink a whole lot every day. It's more solid food that make me get that feeling and fried foods put into a coughing fit. Another strange thing is that bananas and oat meal seem to shoot "whatever" straight up to my sinus. Go figure. The foods that are supposed to be good for you. Ice cream does me in bad but got to have it sometime! I just wonder what causes us to be able to tolerate certain things that are on the no no list while others can't. I read an article about the tissue in our larynx being different so maybe that's it.

Closed Thread