It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• new here - how long is it safe to stay on Nexium?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-31-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
    Kassie29
    (female)

Kassie29 HB User
    new here - how long is it safe to stay on Nexium?

I started experiencing burning in the chest and throat and need to burp in September '07. It started suddenly one night and remained pretty constant. I had never had heartburn before. After about 2 weeks with no let up, I saw my family doctor. She presribed omezerperole, which I tried for a month but it did not help. I was sent for a colonoscopy and an endoscopy in late November. The endoscopy showed a small hiatial hernia. I was started on Nexium, 40 mg per day. It has helped somewhat - no more burning in chest, but still feel heat in throat and sometimes the feeling of a lump in throat. My question is, how long is it safe to stay on Nexium? On the Nexium website, it indicates that the medicine is for short-term use (4 to 8 weeks), but my doctor says it's ok to stay on it indefinitely. Has anyone had experience with longer term use? I am worried about the long term effects but don't know if I should go off it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2007, 12:25 PM   #2
    Brenni
    (female)

Brenni HB User
    Re: new here - how long is it safe to stay on Nexium?

I couldnt afford Nexium...(no insurance)....so I have been taking Prilosec OTC. I've been on it for 4 months now. Don't know what the long term situation will be...but I will let you know.

I think I'm going to be on it forever. But if it helps with my GERD...I don't mind.

Closed Thread