It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• GERD is ruining my life!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
    njarmywife
    (female)

njarmywife HB User
    GERD is ruining my life!

Hello all,
    I have been reading here for months, but have not yet posted. I am just at the end of my rope...
    For me, this all started in early 2006, although I didn't know it at the time. I had a spell of dizziness/vertigo when I was out shopping and felt like I was going to black out. I went to the Dr. and he told me it was due to a cold I had just gotten over, prescribed me Deconamine and sent me on my way. The meds helped and through the rest of the spring/summer and fall I was ok.
    January 2007, I started having this full headed feeling and dizzy spells. I thought that it was perhaps due to my allergies. Went back to the Dr, he gave me more Deconamine, a prescription for Zyrtec and some Flonase. It helped a little, but I still was in misery most of the time. I would have such bad dizzy spells at work that I had to get up and walk quickly because I felt like I was going to faint.
    March of 2007, the spells get worse. The Dr. finally exams my sinuses, he tells me that I have chronic sinusitis and severe allergies. They refer me to the allergist, but the allergist wanted me to go sans antihistamine for 3-4 days before my appointment and I just couldn't do that, I felt terrible enough with the medication. More decongestants, more antihistamines, a different allergy medication and an order to flush my sinuses with saline 3-4 times per day. Still no real improvement and at this time, my ears were starting to make all sorts of crazy noises, popping, etc when I laid down at night.
    Over easter weekend last year, I had the first spell of shortness of breath. I laid down and just felt like I couln't breathe. I was actually terrified that I wouldn't make it through the night. My husband assured me that my breathing was fine, normal. But I felt like I couldn't take a full breath and it scared the heck out of me.
    Back to the Dr., where they tell me that my allergies are triggering some very mild acute asthma I had as a child. They put me on Singulair and give me an albuterol inhaler.
    It didn't help, at all. At this point I am on 4 different pills and an inhaler and I still feel like garbage. I started having palpitations and the feeling that my heart was racing. I let a week pass and had many more episodes of breathing difficulty, I went to the ER several times where they told me that my pulse ox was fine and my lungs were clear. Then why am I gasping for breath?
    Back to the Dr. mid-April 2007, this time he tells me that he thinks I have mild viral pneumonia. He put me on inhaled steroids but tells me that I don't need antibiotics because it's viral. I still didn't notice a difference. My sinuses were constantly congested, my left ear felt full all of the time, more heart palpitations and breathing difficulties.
    Finally, about a week after this, I felt acid in my throat for the first time and my esophagus was so swollen I could barely swallow. I did some research myself and realized that I had many symptoms of GERD. I began self treatment with Prilosec OTC and Zantac. Cut down on the caffeine. It worked a little.
    I went back to the Dr and told them that I thought I had GERD, even though I didn't often feel a burning sensation. They put me on Nexium, and it seemed to help a bit. However, after a few months on Nexium, I felt as if I was constantly bloated, had a strange metallic taste in my mouth and was gaining weight.
    I went off of the Nexium and have tried combatting the symptoms with Zantac 150. It was working pretty well, but now that my husband has deployed again to Iraq, I think my nerves are shot and the reflux seems to be kicking back in. The last two nights I have had palpitations and breathing difficulty at night. I am so tired, all of the time. I don't sleep well and my entire body aches at times. I still have the dizziness, the ear fullness and popping.
    I guess I need to go back to the Dr. and get back on the Nexium and maybe an endoscopy. I am just so leary of Dr's because they seem to be able to help so little. I was misdiagnosed so many times, and all of the medications they had me on seems to have made the problem so much worse. Does anyone have any suggestions of other things I could try?

I am sorry for the book, but I just needed to vent. I have not felt "normal" for a year now, and I am truly at the end of my rope.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
    CHALUPA
    (female)

CHALUPA HB User
    Re: GERD is ruining my life!

I no how you feel. I have the breathing and dizzy feeling for 1.5 years. I woke up this way. I have been to so many docters and still can't get answers. I am going today to a big nuerologist to see maybe he can help. I have lost my life as well. I can't drie because i feel dizzy and can't breath. I AM 35 years old and feel like I am so much older now. I hope all is well with your husband. It is nice to have people to vent to. But i wish we could find an end to this. I have a six year old who asks me every day for a baby and like this i couldn't even think of getting pregnant. I can't even enjoy my 6 year old.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
    aleet7
    (female)

aleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB User

I'm sorry that you are feeling so bad! I've been dealing with GERD for over a year now and I felt exactly the same way! Well, now days I'm feeling better. The last time I saw my Gastro doc was at the top of Dec. and I was feeling horrible! The chest pain, burn, ears burning,breathing issues and lump in throat were all bothering me at that time. My gastro doc asked me, what was stressing me out because stress can make it so much worse! I then told him that my other doc told me that I needed surgery which I didn't want to have and my doc said that I had to keep the stress level controlled or else I wouldn't get better! He also gave me a list of foods to avoid(tomato based foods,spicy, fried foods, caffeine, carbonated drinks, chocolate, citrus fruits and juices). I added fresh apples or apple sauce to my diet and now I feel that I'm starting to really feel much better!!

I sure hope that you can get a handle on this and start getting better.
    Aleet7

Old 01-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #4
    e822fgi
    (female)

e822fgi HB User

Have you had an MRI of your sinus, head, chest?

Old 01-02-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
    CHALUPA
    (female)

CHALUPA HB User

I no this is not my post but i feel lthe same way and I no we are all out to help eachother. I have had an mri of all of the above and showed nothing. The one of the chest was 1.5 years ago when this first started.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
    CharBerry
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

njarmywife,

I know how you feel because I traveled the same roads you did for years before getting the right diagnoses and still wonder sometimes if it's right!
    I never connected the vertigo to the GERD. The various symptoms one can experience that other's don't, the different foods some can eat and other's can't, the meds that might help one but not another is all so confusing. I've had this 10 yrs and feel like it certainly changed the quality of my life for the worse! I really wonder if something else is going on? Actually the Dr's don't even know what's happening or why.

Chalupa,

I hope you get some answers soon. I'm seriously doubting all your problems are caused by reflux and especially with getting no better results with any of the meds. I'm really worried about you with your breathing problems and now dizziness. I think I'd try and take another step above your last Dr. or gastro. I know you are frustrated but you're too young to stop trying to find out what the real problem (or problems) are. Good luck and let us know the results of your appt.

Charla

Old 01-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
    njarmywife
    (female)

njarmywife HB User

I am so glad to know that I am not alone in my frustrations regarding this awful condition. It just seems sometimes like the Dr's just throw darts at a board to see where they will land.
    I am determined to get better, and I will demand an MRI if someone thinks that will help.
    It just seems sad to me that we have to diagnose ourselves. I know my Dr, when I finally mentioned GERD, finally looked at my throat and said "Oh, you do have some irritation back there." Why couldn't they put all of my symptoms together before that? I think that they over medicated me and that is part of the reason I ended up like this.
    It has truly effected my life, my kids and my marriage. I am 36 years old and sometimes feel 90.
    Thanks for the replies, I will continue to read here for more ideas.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:08 PM   #8
    CharBerry
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

I think the reason I'm so bad is because I was diagnosed with so many other things before they hit upon this. Maybe if I hadn't gone so long without the correct treatment, I could get well. I know all the other meds (including steriods) certainly didn't help the situation.

Charla

Old 01-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #9
    curlygmc
    (female)

curlygmc HB User

Hugs to you with what you have been going through. I can totally relate! I have been having a tough time w/my health for the past year myself. I also feel I have GERD symptoms combined w/anxiety. It sounds to me that you may also be having combined symptoms as well. You have a lot going on, especially w/the situation w/your husband. Lately, I've been having more bad days than good. I also get palpitations, flutterings in my chest and throat, tightness in my chest, burping, acid taste in throat, feeling like I can't get a breath. It stinks! I take Xanax as needed for the anxiety. It is not working as well as it did. I recently had a physical and all my blood work, blood pressure, etc. checked out fine. My dr. told me to take Prilosec...she said I can take it as long as three months. Have I done this, no, becuase the box cautions about using this med w/anxiety meds. I know I should just call the dr. or pharmacist to be sure. I really have to try something to see how much of these symptoms are related to GERD. I am also thinking of going to a gastro since I do have a history of gastro problems.

You are not alone! I'm only 39 and also feel like I'm 90 some days. It's insane! I just want to feel better and enjoy life again with my family too! I hope you feel better!

Old 01-06-2008, 03:22 PM   #10
    clairecanice
    (female)

clairecanice HB User

hi,
    My heart goes out to you, everything that is happening to you has happened to me, but my doctor put me on antidepressants thinking it was anxiety. in saying that i do get very anxious when the shortness of breath happens and it seems to take me ages to get over it. im on nexium and i take motillium, the motillium seems to stop the spasms and bloating, but im sick of taking tablets. Im a single mother <removed> and this problem is affecting my home life with my daughter and my work, i constantly feel sick therefore i have no interest in study. I went out for a meal last night it was fabulous, but within an hour of being home i got palpitations, sweating, wind, feeling sick, and my stomach bloated so much that i looked 8 months pregnant. I wish i had some good advice for you but i dont, i just read peoples messages here and it makes me feel like im not going mad!!! good luck.

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-10-2008 at 05:17 AM. Reason: peer sharing only

Old 01-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #11
    CHALUPA
    (female)

CHALUPA HB User

I wish for this new year we could all find an answer to this. I never had a problem before i woke up this way. I want to wake up and this all to be gone.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:47 PM   #12
    tigger2211
    (female)

tigger2211 HB User

Its amazing how much this disorder can ruin lives! Im at the end of my rope as well with the racing heart/bloating/gas and panicky feeling from it all. Im only 33 and have aged 1000 years because of this. I too cannot enjoy my own children. I have missed out on SO much because of this, that I am adding guilt to my list of digestive issues. I can't even hold down a job because of it and can barely leave my house. I feel trapped. Im damned if I do and damned if I don't. Its hard to keep your chin up with these feelings. If anyone has found the "magic cure", please share! You could very well make millions!!!

Old 01-14-2008, 04:47 PM   #13
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

I'm right there with you Tigger,

I never EVER feel good anymore. Constantly worrying about why I feel so bad all the time - constantly preoccupied with my health and trying to figure out "what's wrong with me" - hoping to find the answer before my conditions become irreversible. Terrifying.

Acid reflux, chest and back pain, pressure and tightness, and constant breathing problems - not to mention terrible medication side effects.

I wish and pray for a cure for us ALL....

The following user gives a hug of support to Vanessa74:
    janabooboo (06-06-2011)
    Old 01-15-2008, 01:51 AM   #14
    dallen4
    (male)

dallen4 HB User

I've had GERD for 11 years and I've been through all the pills. Protonix is what I take now which works for me. But I have had to start taking Klonopin and Celexa. I was constantly panicking because I thought my GERD meds were not working. The GERD meds were working but I was having panic attacks every time my stomach felt funny or I felt a little burn in my throat. My symptoms were so bad that I thought I was going to die because I couldn't breathe normally. I thought at first that taking anxiety meds was crazy because it wasn't in my head. But they do work. I don't take strong doses that make me feel funny (20mg). But it definitely works for me. It may not work for everyone but I know that being stressed about how my stomach felt made my GERD worse....and the meds I started got rid of it all with little to no side effects.

Last edited by dallen4; 01-15-2008 at 01:55 AM. Reason: left parts out

Old 01-15-2008, 08:15 AM   #15
    CHALUPA
    (female)

CHALUPA HB User

did the breathing problem go away

Closed Thread