It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Sleepless Toddler - Acid Reflux? Please advise ASAP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #1
    tiredmom100
    (female)

tiredmom100 HB User
    Sleepless Toddler - Acid Reflux? Please advise ASAP

Does this description sound like acid reflux? I'd love to hear input from many people.

Someone please help us! My 17 month old toddler is still not sleeping through the night and I'm wondering if acid reflux is the problem.

-She wakes after only 45 minutes of sleeping and generally wakes frequently until about midnight where she has less interrupted sleep until 6am. I'm not sure if this is because we join her in the bed later in the evening.

-When she was younger she liked sleeping slightly upright but I haven't noticed that she prefers upright sleep or not currently (she definitely prefers sleeping in our arms or next to us currently, though).

-She takes *at least* an hour to fall asleep every night and ALWAYS wakes up crying.

-I just noticed that she does alot of swallowing before she falls asleep when we put her to bed.

-She was a short napper until just recently which may be because I don't feed her until after her nap because she naps before lunch now? She has always needed lots of rocking to fall asleep.

-As a baby she would NEVER play on her tummy and would cry the second I placed her on her tummy, and still doesn't sleep on her tummy.

-She hardly ever spit up or burped as in infant and still rarely does either.

-She does some back arching in her high chair but I always assumed she just didn't want to be in her chair. She, also, frequently back arches when I lay her down to change her diaper.

-She doesn't like milk unless it is first thing in the morning and she is really hungry. After drinking varying ounces of milk, she pulls away very aggressively and tries to kick or throw the bottle and says "no more, no more, done".

-She is very picky with her foods eating fruits, Cheerios, and meat mostly. She hates cheeses and vegetables and anything chunky.

-She is fussier than most toddlers in general. She needs lots of soothing from me and her dad and insists being to be held much more often than most toddlers.

We've tried everything from crying-it-out, to co-sleeping, and everything in-between. What do you think? Does this sound like acid reflux??? If so, how do I help her? If not, what does it sound like? Please, please advise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2008, 05:43 AM   #2
    Sabrina67
    (female)

Sabrina67 HB User
    Re: Sleepless Toddler - Acid Reflux? Please advise ASAP

It sounds like my grandson. He had acid reflux when he was a baby. He is 2 now. They gave him meds then, but nothing now. He is also picky about what he eat, and wakes up EVERY night. They have also tried every sleeping arrangement possible...lol I would go to the Dr. maybe they could give meds or tell you a dosage for an OTC. Your post really has me thinking though. I am sorry I am not much help , but you have helped me to at least maybe have a suggestion for my grand baby.
    Hope you get an answer , If I hear anything I will post. Good Luck
    Sabrina

Old 01-07-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
    Re: Sleepless Toddler - Acid Reflux? Please advise ASAP

Sorry, but this doesn't sound like any earmarks of refluxing, to me. Of course, I'm no doctor and no pediatrician specifically.

Sounds to me like just a tough child. If anything, she may have some sinus problems (swallowing alot) - but little of this post indicates even that.

NOT burping and spitting up - those are the very definition of typical baby reflux. It's said that babies don't have good lower esophageal sphincter LES tone, and need to develop it over some time with maturity. Hence why they "spit up" (not vomit) so much - the LES isn't working well and letting things out. But it matures and they stop spitting up.

Last edited by Ol'Line Rebel; 01-07-2008 at 06:49 AM.

Closed Thread