It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Anyone try Aciphex?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-17-2008, 08:14 AM   #1
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
    Anyone try Aciphex?

I have over the last few years tried a number of meds, & am currently trying a couple more. I remember one of the doctors giving me Aciphex to try because he said it was more gentle, & it did help alittle, but he also said insurances did not like to cover it, but did not say why. I am trying to find something that will really work before I go for shoulder surgery, do not want that pain along with the reflux thing going on. So I thought I would ask about the Aciphex. I know some of the others very just to harsh for me to handle & actually caused more discomfort. I am also not eating as well at this time & anticipated not eating that great after surgery. So thought I would do alittle asking ahead of time. Thanks, Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
    shan06
    (female)

shan06 HB User
    Re: Anyone try Aciphex?

NO, but they are all basically the same thing...I take zegerid now, it works well

Old 01-17-2008, 08:59 PM   #3
    Twig
    (male)

Twig HB User

I have been on it for 5 months with no problems. I have been on Prevacid as well. I took that for a year and it stopped working so now I am on Aciphex. No problems at all yet.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:52 PM   #4
    akfemme
    (female)

akfemme HB User

I tried Aciphex for 30 days and suffered intense fatigue and flu-like symptoms. Now I take the usual and customary precautions- elevated head of bed, avoidance of certain foods, etc..and although not back to "normal" I can deal with it.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:00 AM   #5
    akfemme
    (female)

akfemme HB User
    Question Re: Anyone try Aciphex?

On another note- before going "no med" I tried Nexium for 3 months. The first 2 were miracles, but by the 3rd I began to develop deep, intense pain between my shoulder blades and sternum-like a red hot poker was being driven through me. I could not sit or stand erect. I almost went to the ER twice, but toughed it out and took some Kadian I had for my shoulder pain and just dealt with it.

I would love to say I figured it out via rationalizing it...however, I forgot my AM dose of the nexium one AM, and skipped the PM as I was too tired. By the next morning the pain had reduced so much I was amazed! I have now not taken it for 3 weeks and am feeling like a new person.

Granted, I STILL have heartburn/Gerd, but 150 mg Zantac only when needed is keeping life bearable.
    Also while on Nexium- I was always conking out on the couch at night by 7:30 ( not normal for me). Now I can stay up until 11 again.

Has ANYONE ELSE had this same experience with Nexium? How can a little purple pill wreak so much havoc/

Anyone have any other ideas to totaly deal with the GERD?

Old 01-18-2008, 04:40 AM   #6
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I honestly believe some of these meds are just to strong, but strangly enough I would take them for awhile before they would start to bother me. Now I have tried the prevacid for 3 days & so far I have increased pain between the rib cage area, all day, so I will try the other. I cant see staying on anything that causes more pain or discomfort. We will see, I tried the Zegerid also, it worked at times but not to the degree it stopped the breathing or what I like to call the acid attacks that caused all the scary stuff. I hope to figure it all out soon. I hate to have to go through trying all these meds again. Thanks Sammy
    ps funny how everyone reacts different to them all.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:56 AM   #7
    shan06
    (female)

shan06 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammyo1 View Post
    I honestly believe some of these meds are just to strong, but strangly enough I would take them for awhile before they would start to bother me. Now I have tried the prevacid for 3 days & so far I have increased pain between the rib cage area, all day, so I will try the other. I cant see staying on anything that causes more pain or discomfort. We will see, I tried the Zegerid also, it worked at times but not to the degree it stopped the breathing or what I like to call the acid attacks that caused all the scary stuff. I hope to figure it all out soon. I hate to have to go through trying all these meds again. Thanks Sammy
    ps funny how everyone reacts different to them all.
    diet changes????

Old 01-18-2008, 09:18 AM   #8
    akfemme
    (female)

akfemme HB User

It IS amazing that everyone reacts differently. One of my friends has taken it for the long-haul and claims she has no problems with it at all. But as long as I watch what I eat and how much I think I can manage.

Thanks for the input and I am going to look into Zegerid-it never hurts to have a backup plan!

Closed Thread