It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Has anyone taken nexium while pregnant?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-21-2008, 03:46 AM   #1
    Mistina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mistina HB User
    Has anyone taken nexium while pregnant?

I stopped taking it due to wanting to become pregnant but now that I am pregnant....my GERD and hiatal hernia is really really acting up and I can't take it. I was wondering if anyone has taken Nexium while they were pregnant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2008, 06:05 AM   #2
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
    Re: Has anyone taken nexium while pregnant?

Hi; I had no idea you were in this situation; welcome to the club! You posted about bad morning sickness, but I saw nothing about reflux or Nexium!

Anyway, while I doubt it's really bad, I would heed the doctors' precautions. They are just being cautious with something that really has no history with pregnancy (like so many other things).

I guess since you'd been TTC for some 1.5 years, you've been off Nexium a long time. I was very slowly weaning myself off it while TTC when I found I was pregnant. I was at the point of 1 every 4 or 5 days - LOL, pretty pathetically scared, huh? When I found out July 4, I simply stopped the Nexium altogether at that point.

I've had a rather rough pregnancy. I've suffered bad reflux and bloating (aggravating my gastroparesis) since about week 5, never mind the things I never had before, such as the dreaded gag feeling. And months later, I'm still like that (even worse in many ways).

I just have to put up with it. Except my gastroenterologist did allow me to continue my 300mg Zantac per day (obstetrician is OK with that too).

Early on I tried various medicinal methods my OB prescribed for "nausea" and all the other gastro irritations of pregnancy, really to no avail. I gave up and just put up with it. 1 has to know that a form of gastroparesis tends to strike when we're pregnant, and it is also possible the lower sphincter weakens, all because of heavy progesterone when pregnant.

I hope that when baby comes, I'll soon be feeling much better! But I'm scared, exactly because I already had pre-existing gastro issues and worry I'm either making them worse permanently, or I coincidentally have gotten worse while pregnant - and on no Nexium or any PPI!

Old 01-21-2008, 06:32 AM   #3
    Mistina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mistina HB User

I will try Zantac if I have to. I will try anything right now, I'm desperate. I have the worst nausea and knawing in my chest from my hiatal hernia, I am just miserable and can't deal with it.
    I took Zantac a couple of years ago and it worked for a year or so and I had to switch medications. Maybe since it's been so long since I've taken it, it will work again. So, is Zantac safe during pregnancy and do you take it once or twice a day?

Old 01-21-2008, 06:38 AM   #4
    shan06
    (female)

shan06 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mistina View Post
    I stopped taking it due to wanting to become pregnant but now that I am pregnant....my GERD and hiatal hernia is really really acting up and I can't take it. I was wondering if anyone has taken Nexium while they were pregnant.
    I was on prevacid, before I got pregnant, but when I was the dr took me off and put me on prescription pepcid at the time throughout the pregnancy and all was fine.....A year after i was put back on prevacid....too much acid in my tummy....

Old 01-21-2008, 07:05 AM   #5
    Mistina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mistina HB User

just talked to the doctor's offic & they said it was okay to take nexium. They said it's a category B which means it's okay to take, whatever that means!
    I'm soooooo glad, a little scared for the baby but really, I can't function I'm so sick so I hope this helps.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:39 AM   #6
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mistina View Post
    just talked to the doctor's offic & they said it was okay to take nexium. They said it's a category B which means it's okay to take, whatever that means!
    I'm soooooo glad, a little scared for the baby but really, I can't function I'm so sick so I hope this helps.
    Which doctor's office?

Make sure both a gastroenterologist (or ENT, if you worry about that part too) and the OB agree.

Honestly, I doubt it's a big deal, as these PPIs are quite benign. But I'm just going by both my doctor's opinions.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:24 AM   #7
    Mistina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mistina HB User

my gastro and my female doctor...I was worried too and still am but I doubt they'd tell me to take it if it wasn't safe. I'm so freakin sick, I don't have a choice, really.

Closed Thread