It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• esophyx-tif procedure?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-26-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
    lstek
    (female)

lstek HB User
    esophyx-tif procedure?

Anyone know of anyone that has had this procedure yet? I know it was just recently approved in the US, but there is a surgeon in the bay area starting to do them in february. He will be accompanied by a surgeon from seattle who is a trainer and is currently doing the procedure there. I am looking at the nissen fundo, so this option seems very attractive. No PPI's at single or double dosage have really worked for me........daily burn...now all day/all night since having my kids despite lifestyle changes...no booze,spices, etal....bed up/ tried every antacid and alternative product on the market....NOTHING. Anyway, I am leaning in the esophyx direction and would love some input. My GI of course uses the fall back of the procedure not being tested for long enough, but the data from europs where it has been in use for 2 years looks good. Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
    baylee61
    (female)

baylee61 HB User
    Re: esophyx-tif procedure?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lstek View Post
    No PPI's at single or double dosage have really worked for me........daily burn...now all day/all night since having my kids despite lifestyle changes...no booze,spices, etal....bed up/ tried every antacid and alternative product on the market....NOTHING.
    Were the results of you endo and/or ph tests, etc. consistent with erosion or irritation and injury of esophageal tissue? I'm wondering how many posters endure severe gerd symptoms yet their esophagus tests 'normal'. Are your symptoms proved to be caused by reflux of stomach juices? I 'feel' everything I eat burn through although usually the reflux leaves within 1/2 hour, however, sometimes it can last as long as all day or begin hours after I've eaten. It really doesn't matter what I eat although I've eaten well and exercised for decades.

My quality of life is definitely impacted to an extent, although not quite as much as some of the other posters on these forums. Why would we have to endure until we have all the associated symptoms of reflux (chest pains, hoarseness, sore throat, choking) before we can consider the surgery? I'm on PPI's for 4 months and I think this is as good as its going to get. My GI has no clue about how long I might expect to remain on Nexium even as its not completely effective. The alternative (i.e. not taking Nexium) is an option I'm afraid to consider. I don't like what I've been reading on the nissen fundo procedure but I'm also interested in the esophyx-tif.

Last edited by baylee61; 01-26-2008 at 01:44 PM.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
    lstek
    (female)

lstek HB User

yes, my PH study results are consistant with erosive reflux. I have tried numerous dietary options, and those have failed as well. One surgeon feels I must have a genetically short LES muscle that is strong(per motility test) by still does not hold the valve together anymore(after 2 pregnancies and 38 yrs of a shortened muscle). I hope one of these works for me, as I am otherwise s*#t out of luck.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
    lstek
    (female)

lstek HB User

just out of curiousity, I am wondering what others have tried as far as alternative/diet etc? Here is what I have tried.....ACV, probiotics, digestive enzymes, DGL, chiropractic, osteopath, naturopathic doctor and multiple failed potions, acupuncture and chinese herbs,......western......every PPI available at single and double strengths, baclofen, and finally motilium. All failed to variying degrees. I have also tried quitting wheat, dairy, corn, nuts, coffee, alchohol, spicy food, you name it. I am currently thinking about trying the very low carb diet, but I work out about 1 hr-1 1/2 hours a day so am finding this quite challenging. Anything I have missed that works???

Old 01-26-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

As I said elsewhere with another of these newer "simpler" surgeries - seems the data just aren't good enough. Not enough "victims", and not enough good results as is. Seems no more worth it than Fundo, except that it's "simpler". I've seen from other data showing Esophyx not really any better, and testimonials from people that they have the same issues as fundo - some it works, some it doesn't, some have other consequences that are just as bad as having the reflux, etc. It's as if it's 50/50 iffy.

I wouldn't bother with it or any of the surgeries unless I was really desparate. I think I'll keep hoping they find a medicinal cure for it.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:15 AM   #6
    lstek
    (female)

lstek HB User

And if you were desperate, with constant 25/7 burning and intermittant nausea, and not one of the 10 drugs you had taken worked, ....and you were facing the Fundo at 38 yrs. old with a 4 yr. old and a 1 yr. old........wouldn't you try the "simpler" procedure since the newest european data from last week claimed good 1 yr. data comparable to the fundo and the procedure is repeatable, reversable, and does not preclude a Fundo later on????

Old 05-14-2008, 05:55 AM   #7
    zachboy
    (male)

zachboy HB User

I feel better with Esophyx also. Both Esophyx and Plicator II are not actual surgies but just procedures. They're both done with robotic type tools. If they're not done correctly they can be either reversed or tried again. Fundoplication can also be performed after those procedures. Fundoplication is a surgery that can never be reversed. From what I've read all 3 have about the same amount of success results.

There are different hospitals here in Boston now performing the Esophyx and Plicator II procedures.

My tests have verified a good amount of acid is refluxed and that my esophagus is weak. Even though I was taking PPIs one day before the PH probe test my GI stated a good amount of acid still came up.

When I see my GI next week I'm going to tell him I'd like to try one of the procedures. I'm not going to wait unit I get barret's esophagus.

Closed Thread