It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Wrongly prescribed asthma meds for GERD?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-27-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User
    Wrongly prescribed asthma meds for GERD?

Hi!

I have read many posts on this board about people who had GERD and difficulty breathing that were wrongly prescribed 'asthma medications (inhaled steroids, rescue inhalers, etc.) to treat the breathing difficulties - and that these treatments did not help.

Can anyone please tell me if the asthma medications made them worse? Or if they gave them any worse of different symptoms?

Also - did the rescue inhalers ever work for anyone when the breathing was really bad?

Thank you so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
    celticdrag0n
    (female)

celticdrag0n HB User
    Re: Wrongly prescribed asthma meds for GERD?

When I was a kid I was wrongly diagnosed with asthma...when I had GERD... (the asthma didnt show up til later years, lol). I was given inhalers...
    The reason this happens, in my understanding, is because people with GERD commonly aspirate (inhale) acid, thus causing coughing and asthma-like symptoms. In one manner of thinking you could say it causes a type of asthma...where an outside irritant causes asthma.

The asthma meds never made the reflux worse. It just did nothing for the reflux...thus leaving my lungs still irritated from aspiration.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Hi Celtic,

Thank you for responding. So know you have GERD and asthma huh Are they both well controlled with medication?

Thanks again!!

Old 01-27-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi Vanessa,

My breathing problems were SEVERE. The tests showed decreased lung function by more than 20% and I was given asthma meds to treat the "asthma". Nothing happened after a month - no improvement. I stopped taking the meds because I didn't want to add to my already numerous side effects from my other meds and get sicker.
    I now know that both the GERD and a hiatal hernia can cause breathing difficulties. I have both. Add beta blockers and calcium channel blockers and ACEIs all of which can cause breathing problems in some people....no wonder I couldn't breathe! Did you know there's one specific type of asthma caused by GERD?

Old 01-28-2008, 05:25 AM   #5
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

I had no idea? Do you know what that type of asthma is called.

I too am on a Beta Blocker - begin weaning off this week. And since doubling my asthma meds have noticed the my Acid/GERD seems worse especially at night when I take the second dosage.

WOW - this is odd and scary stuff.

Thank you for your help!

Old 01-28-2008, 06:03 AM   #6
    njarmywife
    (female)

njarmywife HB User

I was initially given asthma medication for what turned out to be GERD. I had very minor and infrequent asthmatic problems when I was a kid that was triggered by my severe hay fever.
    So when I started having the GERD symptoms last year, and especially when it affected my breathing- my Dr did put me on Adavair, and Singulair and gave me a rescue inhaler. He assumed that my 'acute asthma' was making a comeback and I needed to be treated for the asthma.
    However, when he scheduled me for my PFT, and that came back completely normalm was when I started questioning my condition and realized that many of my symptoms were closely related to GERD.

I do think that the month I was using the Adavair (steroids) it seemed to make my symptoms worse. I definitely did not get any relief from the albuterol either. I remember one day at lunch I was having a very hard time breathing, and I used my rescue inhaler 4x in an hour (bad, I know) and it didn't help me at all.

It was scary and frustrating! I hope you find answers very soon.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #7
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Thank you so much!

I am weaning off my Beta Blocker - to see if that helps lessen the GERD. I will also began tapering down my inhaled steroids also hoping that it will help lessen the GERD. I have also radically changed my diet over the past (2) months - removing almost all acide producing type foods. Hopefully with these other changes - I will be able to see some relief in my breathing SOON...

NJArmy - what were your breathing problems like? I get a very tight feeling in my upper chest - have a hard time getting a full breath down past my upper chest. I feel short of breath some times -- other times my lungs feel sore, tight, and congested - but I never cough or wheeze....

Sometimes my rescue inhaler seems to work - at least relieving some of the tightness and pressure - but it seems to wear off right away and about 70% of the time it does not work AT ALL.......

Thank you again!!!

Old 01-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

I was wrongfully diagnosed with asthma in 1995, it wasn't untill 2004 that I was diagnosed with GERD. When I had a lung function test the first time it was alarming to my pulmonary Dr doing it, so I was to be monitored by doing it again in 6 months. I went for another test 6 months later and at that time I had been taking acid reflux meds for a month or so, my lung test came back 20% better than the last time, They concluded my asthma was really GERD! Naturally you all know GERD never really gets super good, it's always there even with meds and the breathing episodes are scary but I know my lungs are actually scarred from acid reflux. They figure I have had acid reflux for about 20yrs prior to being diagnosed, I NEVER had heartburn til 2004 and then it lasted a solid 1yr before it was getting better with meds. I'll never forget that year of 24/7 even with meds, and then one day it was gone and since then it is on and off but always some crap with it weekly whether it is heartburn or just acid in the throat and chest. This is one of the most annoying disease I think! I can take my arthritis in my back better than acid reflux, in fact I can handle the arthritis better emotionally!!!

Old 01-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #9
    jwh1
    (male)

jwh1 HB User

Njarmywife - All anti-inflamatory drugs, both NSAIDS and steroids, will produce excess acid in our stomachs.
    I tore up my right side deltiod from heavy lifting weights 3 years ago. I had no insurance so to help this I gave it the RICE treatment and took 400mg of ibuprofen per day for about 2 months. Taking those NSAIDS for so long is what gave me LPR.
    The only safe pain releiver my ENT recommends is Tylenol.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #10
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Hi NancyH!!

Were you able to then get off your asthma meds when you got your GERD diagnosis?

How is your breathing now?

Thanks!

Vanessa

Old 01-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #11
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

Vanessa74! I don't have to take asthma meds since then but I do notice I recently started having mini breathing episodes when rushing around, then again my GERD is not under control again so I'm mixing zantac and nexium! I feel like I can't breath and yet I can run a couple minutes several times in a 40 minute workout on the treadmill machine at a 4% incline so go figure, maybe it is some anxiety as I'm prone to that also! When I feel like I can't breathe I do get a bit of heaviness in the chest (I'm aware of any little thing in the chest) and yet I'll take in deep breaths or use my old breath monitor to see if my numbers have changed and they don't. Acid especially silent acid reflux can damage the trachea and lungs over time. My mother had horrible lungs from acid reflux that could never get completely under control and I seem to be following in her foot steps! I had silent acid reflux for 20 yrs thinking it was asthma. Hey now maybe I do have asthma since that can happen from GERD!

Old 01-29-2008, 10:32 PM   #12
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Geez Nancy I guess you won't know for sure? Maybe my breathing problems were caused by acid in the lungs, NOT the beta blockers or other medication. I, like you, now have episodes when I start feeling out of breath. I usually get scared and slow down rightaway as I will do ANYTHING in my power to stop the breathing issues from coming back full force!!!! Is there a way to tell if the lungs got permanently damaged without testing? I don't think I will be having any lung tests anytime soon as I don't suffer with breathing problems now. It feels as if it wouldn't take much for the shortness of breath to come back... it is lurking.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:29 AM   #13
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Hello!!!

NancyH - I am sorry that your Acid is so hard to get under control -- I am wondering if being treated for asthma so long instead of the GERD allowed some damage to be done to you - I am so sorry that you are having breathing episodes.

I have panic too (take Xanax for it as needed) -- but just like you -- I am always VERY aware of my breathing, chest tightness, etc. I wonder if we have BOTH - ya know?? Some asthma (caused by the Acid/GERD) and also the reflux which seems to exacerbate it.

Do you have a 'rescue' inhaler? Have you ever tried it when you were having a 'breathing episode' - to see if it helps? Sometimes mine helps - other times it does not....

I hope you feel better EVERYDAY -- YOU TOO Flower - I hope we all figure out the best way for us to feel GOOD -- soon

Closed Thread