It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• New procedure for GERD called Plicator

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
    chestersmom
    (female)

chestersmom HB User
    New procedure for GERD called Plicator

I came across an article in a magazine regarding the use of the Plicator which apparently is relatively new. It is a 20 minute procedure that uses a stapling device that creates a pleat to tighten the weak valve which is causing the acid reflux. It states that 65% of patients treated with this had major improvement in symptoms and 62% no longer needed any medication. I don't think there are very many doctors that perform this surgery but I found one in Jax. Fla. where my daughter lives (I live in south Ga.) so if my problem gets worse I think I would be interested in looking into this. Just wondered if anyone had heard of it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
    Re: New procedure for GERD called Plicator

Plicator, Endocinch, EsoPhyx, Stretta, etc, etc, etc.

They are all relatively "new" surgeries which:

-haven't had much experimentation (that includes "real" usage as if a definite approved procedure)
    -haven't had much better satisfaction than Fundoplication:
    *"successful" operation
    *no "side effects"
    *no failure

The only difference, besides availability/usage, so far seems to be that the procedures are simple to perform vs. the Fundo. Thus, the short surgery, etc. But it seems many are either not getting a stop to the reflux (hey, 62% is not much better than Fundo), have it fail much as does Fundo, or are getting other problems just like Fundo.

Given it's still in experimentation essentially and that isn't very promising, I'd let others be the guinea pigs.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
    CharBerry
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

I read an article in Good Housekeeping about the procedure a lady had for her LPR symptoms. She had excellent results and the Dr. is only 2 hrs away from me. None of my Dr's have been very encouraging for me to try surgery. I think simply for the reasons the previous poster mentioned. I'm still very interested if you learn of any new details.

Charla

Old 02-12-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

I read that one must be VERY careful about the doctor doing the procedure. It takes a number of procedures (I forget how many) to deem the doctor experienced enough to do them well. As with any such surgery, careful research should be done prior to the surgery. It should also play a major role in selecting the surgeon (based on number of successful procedures performed in the past).

FG

Old 02-13-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
    chestersmom
    (female)

chestersmom HB User

Hi Charla, You must have read the same article that I did in Good Housekeeping. I showed the article to my son who has worse problems than I do and he was quite interested. I sure would like to find someone who has had the procedure done.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:00 AM   #6
    baylee61
    (female)

baylee61 HB User

I hope this procedure or another will work ultimately. Archives of Internal Medicine cites an an article entitled "Living to 100 may be easier" suggesting that folks have a decent shot at reaching the century mark especially if doctors aggressively treat older folks' health problems. I figure in the next decade or so (hopefully much sooner) they'll have found a simple surgery technique to cure this annoying acid reflux once and for all. If they don't, I wouldn't be too happy spending another 50 or 60 years with acid reflux! It does impede quality of life and it seems so unnecessary to have to suffer when you're not at all ill or unfit otherwise.

Last edited by baylee61; 02-13-2008 at 11:02 AM.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
    CharBerry
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Chestersmom,

I've got the lady's telephone number (in the article) and thought about calling her many times. It's been 4 yrs since she had it so I thought she might have better insight as to how it's working. I did finally get my GP Dr. to set me up an appt with the surgeon but my husband got real ill and had to have surgery in the meantime so I had to put my problems on hold. He had open heart surgery but is doing fine so I may pursue this further in the near future.

I say this every day but I can't see going the rest of my life with this stuff. It causes me so many problems and anyone that is around me for long, wonders how I make it day to day. From what I've read, LPR is harder to treat and surgery is less likely to work. I'm scared to have it and scared not to!

Charla

Old 02-15-2008, 06:02 AM   #8
    lstek
    (female)

lstek HB User

Hi there. I just wanted to let you know I will be going into my local surgeon for a consult on the new Plicator II in 2 weeks. It is the new improved version and has just been reinstated in my local(big city) hospital. I will give a report about how it goes and what they say. No drugs have worked for me, and I am at the door for a Nissen Fundo. I am planning on trying this procedure first because it does not preclude a nissen later on if needed. I have had consults with many different doctors for the Esophy-x, the nissen and now the Plicator. The version I would have is a hybrid done with a gastro surgeon that ties the alteration in place with one laproscopic entry and the Plcation stiches put in simultaneously. It does require a hospital overnight stay. I will report later.
    lstek

Old 02-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #9
    CharBerry
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

That's great! Please, please keep us posted on this new procedure. Ask your Dr. if it will work with LPR as well as the GERD part since I'm lucky enough to have both. The LPR symptoms are what I can't control.

Best of luck to you.

Charla

Old 02-21-2008, 11:02 AM   #10
    chestersmom
    (female)

chestersmom HB User

Charla, What is LPR? I've seen it mentioned several times on this board but not sure what it is. Sounds bad. Istak, please let us know how you come out on your doctor's visit. Glad to find someone else who's interested in this.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #11
    CharBerry
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LPR is where the acid comes all the way back up and into your throat, sinus, side of your face and ears. It's much harder to control and I don't know of anyone who has actually been "cured." I find it worse than the GERD thing and fundo is not recommended for most with LPR. Reason I was hoping the Plicator procedure may give LPR suffers some hope. Have you heard anything else about the procedure?

Charla

Old 02-21-2008, 01:20 PM   #12
    yeahzach3
    (female)

yeahzach3 HB User

Charberry,

Hi, I'm new to this site, but I also have been diagnosed with LPR, mine started about a year ago when after about 30 mins. after eating a sandwich at lunch, I felt like I had something stuck in the upper back portion of my throat, it felt like a flake of coconut or something, very uncomfortable and sent me into a tizzy. The ENT put a tube through my nose to my throat and said I had LPR, he put me on 1 40 mg. Protonix a day. For me I don't have the issues with LPR on a daily basis for instance. Last week on Tuesday I started getting a hoarse voice and having to clear my throat constantly, Wed. was better, Thursday it felt sore and swollen, on Friday I felt like I couldn't eat, it felt like food would get caught when I would swallow (only on the left side, which is the side that has bad sinuses). When this happens I tend to panic, I already suffer from anxiety and am trying to get that in check. On Saturday felt good, Sunday a little bit of a sore throat, Monday about same, Tuesday and Wed. seemed off and on a little sore. Today was good, until I ate some bread and now I feel like my left side is swollen again and the upper back portion of my throat (where you would have post nasal drip) is burning. I have read that you need a higher dosage of meds for LPR than you do GERD, do you find that to be true? I go to my GP tomorrow and am going to ask him, because I can't deal with this, I get so panicky when I feel like my throat is swollen. Also on my left side of my throat it feels achy, almost like when you work your muscles and you want to relax them, only that is hard to do with your throat area. Does any of this sound familiar to you? Nobody I know or have talked to has ever had to deal with this, and it really does go farther than just a sore throat or raspy voice. Because of my anxiety I always think I must have something else wrong with me, but then I have to think, that I haven't had this happen since October of 2007. Luckily, I don't have to deal with it on a regular basis, but when it does hit me, it seems that I have problems for at least 10 days, seems weird to me. Also on my left side when my throat feels swollen, it feels like my left ear feels full as well as I get a sinus headache on that side.

Charla, please let me know what your symtoms are and if any of this sounds familiar to you, I really have no one around here that understands.

Thanks so much

Old 02-24-2008, 04:41 PM   #13
    CharBerry
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

YES! YES! Me waving my arms madly over my head. I can relate to every single thing you mentioned on dealing with this LPR crap. There's nothing worse than that "can't get my breath, choking feeling, food going back up your nose" kind of thing. I have been doing fairly well recently but I did get very sick every couple of months with "something." Bronchitis, pnemonia, or just can't stop coughing till I can't breath kind of thing. I would have to take off work for several days and stay in bed. You know, I don't actually have a sore throat anymore but in the beginning my throat would swell almost shut. My throat will hurt at times but not like a sore throat kind of thing. If that makes sense. I started this 10 yrs ago and it seems at that time not many Dr's considered GERD to be different than LPR. Some didn't even believe that acid could come that far up or that you could have reflux without heart burn. When I found a Dr. that said it was my stomach causing all the trouble, I didn't believe him because I ate anything and could tell no difference. I had my worst symptoms sitting up during the day. I was much better lying down. I remember getting better when prescribed previcid, reglan and carafate, but it took a LONG time and my voice was not the same when I could talk. It seems that I was switched around a lot on PPI's until Nexium came out and the ENT spec said once a day wasn't enough. Back in Nov, I had a bad spell and went to yet another ENT spec because she was local and she switched me to Protonox for a few weeks then back on Nexium twice a day. Whatever, I seemed to get better. I do think LPR should be treated with more meds than GERD (I'm lucky enough to have both) and I don't know of anyone who has been able to get off of them. I do think people go like into remission with their symptoms (everybody but me!) for periods of time but seems they return. I'm constantly searching for "something" to cure me and open to alternative medicine. By now, I'm open to roots, berries and herbs!

Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Charla

Old 02-24-2008, 10:36 PM   #14
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
    I do think LPR should be treated with more meds than GERD (I'm lucky enough to have both) and I don't know of anyone who has been able to get off of them.
    Charla, what do you mean? A higher dosage of the GERD meds for the LPR? Are the LPR meds different FROM the GERD meds? What medication did your doctor prescribe for the LPR?

FG

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 02-24-2008 at 10:37 PM.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:04 PM   #15
    CharBerry
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The same meds prescribed for GERD are prescribed for LPR too. I guess all they know to do is try and reduce the amt of acid when the LES doesn't stop it from going the wrong way. I've always been told by ENT spec that complete 24 hr control of acid is needed for LPR so twice a day of Nexium or whatever is needed. I guess it works for some! I also know that there is non acid matter that can reflux and wonder if that's what happens to me? Since I don't feel any burn or acid taste? But, I've had it for so long that it has effected my sense of taste and smell. I DO know it's acid reflux when it comes to my throat and stops. Nasty stuff! I already am supposed to take 40 mg twice a day and I even take some Mylanta at bedtime or a Zantac to try and cover it.
    That 20 mg of Prilosec never touched my GERD symptoms or LPR. What are you taking as of now? Maybe you should increase the dosage? Worth a try!

Charla

Closed Thread