It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

More GERD problems or possible heart problems?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
TWA1022
Inactive
(female)

TWA1022 HB User
More GERD problems or possible heart problems?

Hello all! I have posted on here before with my symptoms and they went away in November but now they are back with avengence! Most of this started while I was pregnant with my son in April of 2006, and all the doctors told me they would subside upon delivery (he is now 18 months old!). I am a 29 yo female, 5'3, 140 lbs., very limited drinker, social smoker, exercise at least once a week.

Anyway here is a list of my symptoms:
*Chest pain (pressure sometimes in the middle, but mostly under left breast)
*Left arm pain (mostly in forearm, sometimes in the bicep area and hand)
*Joint pain left side (fingers and toes)
*Swelling in vein on the left forearm (can actually feel it swell)
*Left-side neck pain (almost feels like it is in my lymph node)
*Left shoulder pain (almost feels at time like a pinched nerve)
*Lip numbness (most commonly occurs in the AM)
*Back pain (mostly left side, opposite heart and lower left hand side
*Leg pain (always the left but varies between calf and quad)
*Stomach pains (sometimes tender to the touch under the sternum)
*Dizziness (on occasion)
*Rapid heart rate (comes and goes...not necess. because of exertion)

Here is a list of tests done beginning April 2006:
*Chest x-ray (at least 5 done, last one July 2007)
*EKG (too many to count, last one July 2007)
*Echo (3 done, last one done July 2007)
*Stress echo treadmill (2 done, last one done July 2007)
*Stress thallium echo (July 2007)
*Tilt-table test (July 2007)
*Ultrasound carotids (2 done, last one done July 2007)
*Ultrasound of abdomen (2 done, last one done July 2007)
*Venous doppler of both legs (September 2006)
*V/Q scan (2 done, last one done August 2007)
*Holter monitor (wore at least 3, last one June 2007)
*Endoscopy (July 2007)
*Gallbladder scan (September 2007)

Here are diagnoses I have received:
*GERD with esophageal erosions (no Barrett's)
*Hiatal hernia (would repair but pointless unless I am finished having kids)
*Gallbladder function only 21% (removed September 2007)
*Vasovagal syncope
*Anxiety (this is one of my favorite diagnosis'...haha)
*ALL HEART PROBLEMS RULED OUT DUE TO HEART TEST RESULTS ALL W.N.L

Medications I was prescribed, but no longer taking:
*50 mg Zoloft (for the anxiety)
*10mg propranolol (for the rapid heart rate)
*625 mg Sodium bicar (for the vasovagal syncope)
*Klonopin min. amount as needed (for anxiety)
*20 mg Protonix (for the GERD)
*81 mg Aspirin

No longer taking any meds because the dr.'s figured all my symptoms were because of my gallbladder being inflammed. Does anyone here have GERD or hiatal symptoms like this? I'm just looking for piece of mind at this point....just hoping it is not my heart! If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Rachelle

Last edited by TWA1022; 02-16-2008 at 07:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
Mileena42
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mileena42 HB User
Re: More GERD problems or possible heart problems?

Hi Rachelle,

I posted earlier today about symptoms very much like yours. Mine started with a vengence a couple of days ago....right now my upper left breast is hurting, my back on the upper left side, stomach tender to the touch and sometimes shooting pains under my ribs. I don't know what it is.....but like you I have had some heart test, but once it goes on and on you begin to wonder!

I actually have sharp pains and then periods of no pain at all. I did a lot of activity today with no relief or no signs of it getting worse. I believe that heart pain would get worse with activity....but gee I am beginning to doubt everything I know. The pain in my chest almost feels like a pulled muscle, if not for the back pain.

Anyway, you are not alone. I am going through this too. I am hoping that it will ease up and I can get some relief.

Good Luck to you!
Mileena

Old 02-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #3
flowergirl2day
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hey, Mileena,

Like you, I am beginning to doubt everything. I have a feeling that our doctors want us to feel that way. I need to change my primary doc. I have been told this a hundred times by so many people now. All he cares about is his acting. (His hobby). He always makes sure to mention the time & location of his next play. Where to get tickets. What it's about. And so on. He can go on and on about this, leaving little time for discussing my issues and concerns. When I do mention them, (no matter what they are) he says it's nothing to worry about.
He said the same about my chest pain, which I made sure to mention during my last few visits. GERD diagnosis has made things a lot easier - any adverse symptoms/side effects are now blamed on GERD. I hope he is right.
Sorry I can't help much. I hope your doctor is better than mine.

FG

Old 02-16-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
TWA1022
Inactive
(female)

TWA1022 HB User

Flowergirl,

You describe your symptoms as sometimes "shooting" in nature. Have you had gastro tests done to rule out hiatal hernia or possible gallbladder problems? When I was pregnant I would get these shooting pains directly below my sternum, to the point they would stop me in my tracks. They realized after I delivered my son (who was 8lbs. 11 oz. and almost 21 inches, and I'm only 5'3) that he was lodged under my ribcage and that is what caused my hernia. I still have the hernia but I no longer have the shooting pains because there isn't all that pressure anymore.

I know what you mean about the docs...they just ignore your symptoms. I was so happy when they told me I had a hiatal hernia and gallbladder problems because I knew I wasn't crazy then! I'm a little scared to go back to the doc. because I know they are going to start dismissing them again since I have already had so many tests done less than a year ago. BTW, the only reason most of those tests were performed in July was because I passed out in the shower and wound up in the hospital for 4 days. All they figured out there was that I have vasovagal syncope because when I stood up the one morning my heart rate and BP dropped. The funny thing is I passed the tilt table....of course. Hopefully there is a light at the end of the table.

Rachelle

Old 02-16-2008, 11:34 PM   #5
flowergirl2day
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Rachelle,

thank you for your post!

The only test I've had to date is the upper GI series. It showed a sliding hiatal hernia and an acid reflux. My first son was 11lbs 12oz and about 6 weeks overdue. A most likely reason for the hernia, even though it had happened such a long time ago.

I have not had any tests done besides the upper GI. I wonder sometimes if I could have gallbladder problems since I suffer from nausea. I take prescription drugs and supplements so I've always figured my nausea is a result of that.
Do you know how my doctor discourages any comments on my part about side effects (or anything else?) He will say just as I am arriving at his office:" I can't get over how well you are doing now compared to one year ago"...........Well, one year ago I was in a very bad shape, so no matter what might be happening right now, it does not compare. That prety much very effectively prevents any discussion. Not fair.

FG

Old 02-17-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
BadKitty88
(female)

BadKitty88 HB User

Hi Everyone. For the GERD, Hiatal Hernia, and IBS symptoms, I'll share my story. I have always had a pretty good digestive tract, except for nausea from motion sickness. Very lucky that way. Anyway, last year I got a massive fingernail infection, which they were unable to accurately diagnose. We tried 4 different antibiotics, 2 didn't work, and the other 2 I couldn't even keep down. By this time I had the infection for almost a month and it was getting much worse. Finally, we did Levaquin for 2 1/2 months. Yes, Levaquin for 2 1/2 months just for a finger/fingernail infection. I had an MRI, the infection had made contact with the bone and we thought I was going to have to do IV antibiotics. Thank God, they decided it was a false positive. The Levaquin worked, finger healed. Price tag $4000 altogether. However, towards the end of the time I was taking the antibiotics, I was having all these weird digestive problems. Hard to swallow, felt like there was food constantly stuck in my throat, burping which I have never had, and a strange combination of diarhea and constipation pretty much at the same time. I could barely eat anything before I was full and very uncomfortable, and could barely get anything accomplished in the bathroom. I was miserable, and the doctors were not helping. Put me on Prilosec OTC, did no good. Out of desperation, I went to local health food store and told the ladies there my symptoms, They handed me 2 bottles and assured me I'd be better in a month. I was very sceptical, but also desperate to try anything, so I took the products. I was feeling better in one week !!!! I stayed with it for a month and a half, then stopped the products and symptoms have not returned. Also, to my delight, had no side effects with these products. So here they are for anyone to try. I wish all the best of luck and health. It is no fun being miserable.
Ultimate Flora (will be in refrigerated section)
4Digestion by Genesis Today
My mother was a health food holistic type growing up, to the point she wouldn't take us to a doctor for anything, only holistic places. There were times she could have endangered us by not taking us to doctor in a timely manner. I really turned my back on that after I moved out and went the total medical community route. After my finger situation I realize they each have their place in our lives and health, and we are lucky to have both as resources. Everything in moderation, and willingness to be open-minded is crucial! Happy Health to everyone.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
TWA1022
Inactive
(female)

TWA1022 HB User

Flowergirl,

As far as the gallbladder goes, I had 2 ultrasounds done and it showed nothing. It was until I had a HIDA scan they realized it was inflammed and not working properly. The surgeon actually asked me how I went so long before having it removed because it had been awhile since he had one in such bad shape....go figure! Basically if the ultrasound shows nothing but you still have pain ask for a HIDA scan, it will measure gallbladder function.

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly was wrong a year ago? I see that you post with your dr. saying well you're better off than a year ago. I know if I walk into my dr. office I will probably hear something similar. Gotta love the docs.

Rachelle

Old 02-17-2008, 11:38 PM   #8
flowergirl2day
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, everything went wrong you could say. I had reached a point when my blood pressure was completely out of control. I got so dizzy I couldn't stand straight and fell several times at work. Had suffered terrible headaches/ arterial neckaches for several years. My hypertension had gone uncontrolled for who knows how long. My ophthalmologist said later it had to have been years. I'd also had a MI previously and there I was with blood pressure in the 250/160 range and no drugs able to reduce it. So I became a hypertensive emergency. The hypertension caused quite a bit of damage, which is being kept in check. That is why it is so important to have the blood pressure checked at least yearly. I sure wish I had!

Badkitty,
thanks for sharing your story! I could bet this product is not available here. I wrote the name down anyway and will check. It sounds too good to be true! I am glad it worked for you though. I have a girlfriend who's been brought up like you - without the doctors. Her mother always used herbal treatments and was very knowledgable. My friend does not like doctors to this day and only just started going now -in her early 50s because she was diagnosed with diabetes.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #9
BadKitty88
(female)

BadKitty88 HB User

Flowergirl. I did a quick search, both products are available through online stores, if youy can't find them at local health food places. Ths Ultimate Flora is better if kept refrigerated, something the ladies at my health food store neglected to tell me when they gave it to me, and I hadn't noticed that they themselves took it from a refrigerator when they got it for me. So I didn't refrigerate the first bottle I used, but it still worked. Refrigeration is recommended, not mandatory. I kept the second bottle in fridge though. And a side note, I told my doc about all my symptoms and they were pretty dismissive, other than the Prilosec recommendation. I was sick like that for almost a year before I went to the health food store. After they cleared me up there, I went back to doctor and told how the pro-biotics helped. I was told....."Oh yes, that's good then. Sometimes the use of antibiotics kills off the good bacteria too, but usually they eventually repopulate on their own." I was so angry. How long were they planning on watching me suffer without thinking of this cause themselves and telling me about the pro-biotics? But they were more than happy to prescribe stuff, just not tell me of homeopathic option. I won't use that doc again.

Last edited by BadKitty88; 02-18-2008 at 10:30 AM.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:21 PM   #10
flowergirl2day
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for sharing your story. At the risk of repeating myself, the doctors quite often look for easy solutions. It is easier to prescribe one type of pills or another than trying to get to the bottom of the problem. That could turn out to be costly and time-consuming. Just my opinion, based on personal observations.
Thanks for the tips, I will definitely look into this. I don't blame you for not wanting to see that particular doctor again.

flowergirl

Old 02-28-2008, 02:50 PM   #11
mp88
(male)

mp88 HB User

I am a 48 yr old male. I have also been suffering from gerd for about ten yrs. They have scoped me twice and said that my stomach looked like hamburger and that I do have a hiatal hernia. Been on and off prolosec, nexium and everything else out there. I also have chest pain, numbness on the left side of my lip and face. Also, the numb tight feeling is in my chest and left arm. Went to cardiologist for stress/echo and founf nothing. Can gerd cause the numbness and left arm pain? Very frustating.

Closed Thread