It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Can anyone please help? Acid reflux? Dry heaving, nausea no burning.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2008, 02:40 PM   #1
    andy678
    (male)

andy678 HB User
    Question Can anyone please help? Acid reflux? Dry heaving, nausea no burning.

Hi all, I have had this problem for a year now. Sorry for long text & hope to hear from somebody

* Random uncontrollable retching/dry heaves - no vomiting just everything but. After this I usually feel OK. Sometimes mornings worse & after defecating but not always. Kept a food diary & no pattern emerged. Sometimes ok for a week and whilst on omeprazole for almost a month. Now stopped it - OK for 10 days, now almost daily.

* Very often going to restaurants, even family meals or meeting a friend can cause symptoms. I might take a few mouthfuls of the meal, then stop. A few hours later I can eat it! Even a hairdresser, where I had an attack last year can set me of. I don't like being in confined spaces now

* Bad smells, or thinking about vomiting can set me off - I have not vomited for 30 years and will do ANYTHING to avoid it.

* This problem has never woken me from sleep but if I have a lack of sleep the symptoms appear worse.

I probably have drunk too much alcohol on a regular basis - not spirits. This relaxes me & get no symptoms after drinking. I have stopped this recently.

I have seen 3 doctors and taken a course of 20mg omeprazole which seemed to work. The doctor then reduced dosage 10mg for 3 months. Appeared OK but doesn't always work.

Doctor reckons its stress wants me to have an endoscopy but I'm too afraid of this and know that my gag response it way too high. Are there any other treatments that can confirm acid reflux? I don't appear to match some of the symptoms.

I believe that stress is part of the problem but I've had this when I have not been stressed.

I appreciate you reading this & any help/suggestions you can give.

Andy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
    CharBerry
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
    Re: Can anyone please help? Acid reflux? Dry heaving, nausea no burning.

Andy,

I have some of the same re-actions you do, which I never did before. Especially when I'm having an attack of GERD/LPR. If the prilosec helps, why not keep taking it? There's nothing to a scope if your Dr. wants to do one. I've had many and jumped up ready to go shopping (since Dr. is in a large city You will never know what's going on until they take a look. Then you will know and hopefully treated correctly until well!

Charla

Old 02-19-2008, 09:00 PM   #3
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
    Re: Can anyone please help? Acid reflux? Dry heaving, nausea no burning.

There is an alternative test that you could have. It is called an upper GI series. Otherwise known as barium swallow. Basically, a series of x-rays. Before and during this test, you are asked to drink a really digusting liquid. The doctor takes x-rays and watches it go down while asking you to change positions and sip additional liquid. They can also tilt the table to check for various things and check the swallowing function as well. It is a very easy test to have. The scope (which I haven't had yet) is better because it allows the doctor to physically see the inside of the esophagus and a small sample can be taken and analyzed, if necessary, at the same time.
    We know how annoying our various symptoms can be. I would think there'd be more of them if not for the medication. Like Charla said, I'd keep taking it. Ask about the barium swallow. Good luck.

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 02-19-2008 at 09:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Closed Thread