It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Anyone Have Nissen?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
    JB327
    Inactive
    (male)

JB327 HB User
    Exclamation Anyone Have Nissen?

Hi, I am a 25 year old male, was in pretty good health about 1 year ago.. I have had reflux for years, and in 2007 it got progressively worse.. I tried everything from all PPI's, to OTC meds, to pickle juice, etc.. Nothing worked..

I went to my GI who performed Endoscopy, Bravo test, Motility study.. My reflux results came back as the worst results possible, and I was recommended for the Nissen Fundoplication surgery to correct it..

I spent a few months thinking it over, and finally opted for it. I met with a local surgeon and scheduled my surgery back in August 23, 2007.. After the surgery I had the typical Nausea, not able to eat much, etc.. I got clusters of blood clots in both my lungs, and left lung collapse, and pneumonia..

I spent 8 days straight in ICU and when I got out, I still haven't been the same.. I can't eat much at any given time, I get nauseated a lot, and I'm still on blood thinners so I can't drink anything like Ensure because it has vitamin K..

I am 5'6", and used to weigh 145 "pre-surgery" I now weigh 117, and can't seem to gain any weight what so ever!.. I get burning in my throat a lot, and an occasional cough.. I feel it's heartburn/reflux coming back, and I'm so frustrated, I went through hell for that surgery and I'm not much better right now 6 months post-op..

my surgeon waited till "after" surgery to tell me he "intentionally" tied my wrap a little loose to allow me to burp, but I feel this is letting acid up.. He swears I am "not" having heartburn/reflux, and told me not to come back, and he can't do anything..

I am so frustrated, I can't eat much at all, I get horrible abdominal pains all the time, the burning gets really bad at times, and more... What should I do? Anyone else have this surgery and have the same problems?

Last edited by JB327; 02-21-2008 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
    greg1x
    (male)

greg1x HB User
    Talking Re: Anyone Have Nissen?

Wow, I sure do feel for you. I am 48 male, and had the Nissen about ten years ago. Fortunately, I had no complications and was out two days later. It was not very successful for me either, I am on 2 Prevacid daily and Zantac 300mg. before bedtime. This keeps it relatively under control, although lately I have been having frequent nighttime heartburn. If you feel as if you are refluxing, you more than likely are inspite of what the surgeon may say. Are you on any PPIs now. Your weight seem very light I agree. I also get the "reflux cough" when I am refluxing bad also. I wish I had an easy answer for you. I assume you are seeing a gastroenterolgist and not just the surgeon?
    Greg

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JB327 View Post
    Hi, I am a 25 year old male, was in pretty good health about 1 year ago.. I have had reflux for years, and in 2007 it got progressively worse.. I tried everything from all PPI's, to OTC meds, to pickle juice, etc.. Nothing worked..

I went to my GI who performed Endoscopy, Bravo test, Motility study.. My reflux results came back as the worst results possible, and I was recommended for the Nissen Fundoplication surgery to correct it..

I spent a few months thinking it over, and finally opted for it. I met with a local surgeon and scheduled my surgery back in August 23, 2007.. After the surgery I had the typical Nausea, not able to eat much, etc.. I got clusters of blood clots in both my lungs, and left lung collapse, and pneumonia..

I spent 8 days straight in ICU and when I got out, I still haven't been the same.. I can't eat much at any given time, I get nauseated a lot, and I'm still on blood thinners so I can't drink anything like Ensure because it has vitamin K..

I am 5'6", and used to weigh 145 "pre-surgery" I now weigh 117, and can't seem to gain any weight what so ever!.. I get burning in my throat a lot, and an occasional cough.. I feel it's heartburn/reflux coming back, and I'm so frustrated, I went through hell for that surgery and I'm not much better right now 6 months post-op..

my surgeon waited till "after" surgery to tell me he "intentionally" tied my wrap a little loose to allow me to burp, but I feel this is letting acid up.. He swears I am "not" having heartburn/reflux, and told me not to come back, and he can't do anything..

I am so frustrated, I can't eat much at all, I get horrible abdominal pains all the time, the burning gets really bad at times, and more... What should I do? Anyone else have this surgery and have the same problems?

Old 02-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
    JB327
    Inactive
    (male)

JB327 HB User
    Re: Anyone Have Nissen?

Yeah getting ready to go to the top GI in my area at UNC.. I can't take any PPI's as they interfere with Coumadin...

Old 02-23-2008, 04:53 AM   #4
    greg1x
    (male)

greg1x HB User
    Unhappy Re: Anyone Have Nissen?

Oh yikes, no PPIS, that is a mjaor disadvantage.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
    rdawg6198
    (male)

rdawg6198 HB User

I probably shouldn't have read this today, because I am having the surgery on Monday. I have been suffering since October, when I had several repeated food impactions. Two dilations later, it only got worse. Went from PPI's once a day, to twice a day and now three times a day with no improvement. I have never had any heartburn with this, just an inflammed and swollen esophagus. Barium swallow, manometry showed florid acid reflux and slightly weak muscle structure, a stricture and some feline esophagus. They decided to go with surgery to stop the damage and allow me heal. I have been on a liquid diet since October and lost 80 lbs. The thing I am most concerned with is that I still won't be able to eat solid foods and will make liquid foods more difficult, but at this point, my health won't let me just wait and do nothing.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
    greg1x
    (male)

greg1x HB User
    Cool Re: Anyone Have Nissen?

Hi,
    What exactly do you mean by food impactions? I wish you the best with your surgery. How old are you? Greg

[QUOTE=rdawg6198;3455121]I probably shouldn't have read this today, because I am having the surgery on Monday. I have been suffering since October, when I had several repeated food impactions. Two dilations later, it only got worse. Went from PPI's once a day, to twice a day and now three times a day with no improvement. I have never had any heartburn with this,

Old 02-23-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
    rdawg6198
    (male)

rdawg6198 HB User

Food gets stuck in my throat. When I was eating solids, it would either move down on its own, after a few really scary minutes, or it would come back up, once, throwing up over a period of two hours. I have always had pills get caught in my throat (no one is really sure why), but never anything else. They thought dilating the stricture would fix it, but it made things worse. Also, they found a hiatal hernia. I am 27.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:39 AM   #8
    Tray99
    (female)

Tray99 HB User

hi i had this done 12 days ago, and althou i am really sore still, the horrendus heartburn seems to have gone. i am following a strict diet now, as told by the dr, im on liquids only for another week, (so three weeks in total) then on puree food for 3 weeks, then soft foods for 3 weeks, then slowely introduce semi solids. i have been told i prob wont eat bread again, and cant drink fizzy stuff for at least 6 months. i can burp a little, but it really hurts, and when i wana burp, it really really hurts! i was scared from all the stuff i had read on it, but i am glad i had it done, i know i.ll have probs with food, and i seriously do hate it at the moment, but its a small price to pay. i have scaring in my food pipe and was suffering mouth damage from the acid, and was on more meds than i should have been...all in, cant wait to recover fully!

Old 02-26-2008, 08:00 PM   #9
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

I had the surgery about 10 years ago, and only had relief for 2 months. My surgeon also denied that I was refluxing again. He told my ENT behind my back that I had Bronchitis. What a jerk. I've never had Bronchitis in my life. I've been taking Prilosec OTC once a day, but I'm going to have to add Pepcid to the mix or another Prilosec or something. I started taking fish oil capsules again to lower my cholesterol and I think they're giving me slight heartburn now.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:06 PM   #10
    JB327
    Inactive
    (male)

JB327 HB User

I've heard of Stretta, wonder if they can do it after Nissen?

Old 03-01-2008, 11:08 PM   #11
    NormanB
    (male)

NormanB HB User

I had a Nissen years ago and haven't needed a PPI or a Tums ever since. I went to a surgeon who has a large number of successful patients and he even let me call some of them up before the surgery to talk to them and to get more advice. I know from researching this that you have to go to an experienced surgeon who can demonstrate his success. Not all of them can.

Last edited by NormanB; 03-01-2008 at 11:13 PM.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:56 PM   #12
    rdawg6198
    (male)

rdawg6198 HB User

I just had mine last monday. I am still pretty sore, but not much worse off than I was before the surgery. My back feels much better from the hernia repair. I noticed that on day one. The drugs in the hospital were quite nice. I noticed the burning yesterday, the first day I tried to put something of substance down there, and no ppi's for nearly a week, as opposed to 3x daily before. I am still having some other side effects of the surgery and medications...mostly constipation and horrible pain in my shoulders and next from the gas they used. I am a teacher, so I want to wait another week before returning to work, my voice is a little tender, due to moving the diaphram. The gas pains are uncomfortable, but becoming less painful and more just annoying. Having a fair amount of the retching gaging, but less and less daily, even as I am adding more foods I haven't had in awhile. When you were in the hospital did the put the blood pressure cuffs on you and make you use the breathing strength tester hourly. If not and you got clots and a partially collapsed lung, you have a solid lawsuit against that hospital.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:42 AM   #13
    JB327
    Inactive
    (male)

JB327 HB User

I was only in the hospital overnight, and yes they had the cuffs on me, they didn't make me do the breather every hours, but every few hours..

The day after I got home though, I called my surgeon and told him I thought something might be wrong, but he told me not to worry, even days later when my temp shot up to 101.2, he said wait till 102 or higher before going to the hospital.. My wife made me go after the 2nd day we couldn't get it down, and The hospital had me walking around for 1½ days "before" they found my clots..

Old 03-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #14
    huskies
    (female)

huskies HB User

I had the nissen ten years ago, at 21. I have had amazing results. It wasn't until recently that I found out that some people weren't able to vomit afterwards. I haven't had that problem and I have had the flu since.

Unfortunately, after ten years it has loosened up and I go in on Thursday to see the surgeon. I wasn't nervous at all until I saw all of these postings!

Old 03-10-2008, 10:02 PM   #15
    huskies
    (female)

huskies HB User

I had the nissen ten years ago, at 21. I have had amazing results. It wasn't until recently that I found out that some people weren't able to vomit afterwards. I haven't had that problem and I have had the flu since.

Unfortunately, after ten years it has loosened up and I go in on Thursday to see the surgeon. I wasn't nervous at all until I saw all of these postings!

Closed Thread