It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Constant Pain Driving Me Insane

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2008, 03:03 PM   #1
    laurietrib
    (female)

laurietrib HB User
    Constant Pain Driving Me Insane

I'm just wondering how many people have pain from acid reflux almost all the time.

I have had acid reflux for a little over 2 years now and I just can't seem to find any relief. It is making me crazy at this point. I have tried many remedies, but none seem to work.

I'm to the point now that I feel like I'm losing my mind. I'm afraid to do anything for fear that I will have a heart attack and die. Yes, I know I sound crazy, but I don't know what to do.

Does anyone else feel like this? What do you do to feel better?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User
    Re: Constant Pain Driving Me Insane

Laurietrib,

I am so sorry that you are suffering so badly and having so much fear. This Acid/GERD is frightening and overwhleming. Know that you are not alone.

What is your pain like? What symptoms are you having? Are you taking any medications (like Nexium, or Aciphex or something like that) to help with it?

Mine started about 4 months ago and my symptoms are almost constant at this point (chest pain/tightness, breathing problems, burning in chest and back of throat, and problems sleeping through the night, also lung pain and soreness). I am trying a new PPI (Prevacid) and eliminating a medication that I take for HBP that is known to cause GERD. I have modified my diet and try sleep with the bed propt up, etc. So far not too much relief - but I come here to get support and information -- and I will keep trying until I find some relief.

Hang in there we are all there for you and there are some GREAT suggestions here to help you.

Good luck and God Bless - I understand the fear because I am terrified that my breathing will get worse -- it is a fear that I carry with me all the time. It can really limit my life at times. But hang in there - you will have better days a head.

nessa

Last edited by Vanessa74; 02-22-2008 at 05:34 PM.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:51 AM   #3
    cl84
    (female)

cl84 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laurietrib View Post
    I'm just wondering how many people have pain from acid reflux almost all the time.

I have had acid reflux for a little over 2 years now and I just can't seem to find any relief. It is making me crazy at this point. I have tried many remedies, but none seem to work.

I'm to the point now that I feel like I'm losing my mind. I'm afraid to do anything for fear that I will have a heart attack and die. Yes, I know I sound crazy, but I don't know what to do.

Thanks!
    I don't suffer from chest pain but I have throat tightness and pain in my ear almost 24/7. Mine has been going on for almost a year and I know how frustrating it is. Sometimes I feel like I am losing control of my life!

Hang in there and know that you are not alone.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:22 AM   #4
    laurietrib
    (female)

laurietrib HB User

I do not take medication for GERD. I have tried them all, but they all make me feel worse. I have tried some of the natural remedies, but with no relief there either.

I have a sore throat most of the time. When I am having a really bad day my ear will hurt with it. My shoulder and elbow hurt everyday on my left side. I have trouble sleeping also. I cant seem to stack the pillows high enough. I do take HBP medicine and truly believe it is the cause of my problems, but I have very HBP (220/110) if I do not take it. (runs in family)

I just feel this has paralized me. I with I could find an answer. It has effected every aspect of my life.

Thanks for replying.

Laurie

Old 02-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #5
    noggin7717
    (male)

noggin7717 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laurietrib View Post

Thanks!
    If you haven't done so yet, go get your heart checked thoroughly. If you can, get a nuclear stress test ... treadmill, radioactive injection, and the PET scans both before and after the treadmill. This will do 2 things, determine if there is anything wrong with your heart and put your mind at ease.

Before I had my heart tests I was in the same position as yourself. I was afraid to go to sleep for fear that I would not wake. I had the pains in the chest that I was certain had nothing to do with GERD.

Stacking the pillows won't work, really need to elevate the head of the bed 6 or more inches to be effective.

Have you talked with a gastro Dr?

-Noggin

Old 02-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
    laurietrib
    (female)

laurietrib HB User

I have had all the heart tests (short of angio)mentioned 2 years ago when this all started. Test came back okay. Still see cardio every 4 months.

I have seen the gastro also and have had tests. They have prescribed me meds but they all make my chest pain and GERD worse. He doesnt seem to have any other suggestions.

I guess I don't know where to go from here. I don't feel like any of the docs are listening. Maybe they think I'm crazy just like me.

You are correct stacking pillows doesn't help. In fact I think it has done something to my neck now since my shoulders hurt when I sleep and I wake up with my arms numb sometimes.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:55 PM   #7
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Laurie, stacking the pillows helped me sleep when I couldn't otherwise. I have had a nasty cold these last few days (getting better thank goodness!!!!) and was so sick I thought I'd die. Was able to get a couple of hours of sleep in a chair one night, and a few hours in bed using eight pillows the next night. That was the only way I could get any sleep at all. I had to be almost sitting up. If I so much as tried to lie flat in bed, I'd start choking and gasping for air badly. Non-stop. So my point is that sometimes it's OK to stack up the pillows as a temporary measure but certainly not a long-term solution. I am now wondering what to use tonight. My chest feels better but I still get reflux at night and some sinus congestion with the runny eyes (as I do on any night after going to bed) That, combined with congestion from the cold means big trouble for me. I think I'll take the pillow route again tonight.
    The doctors don't think you are crazy. Don't believe for a minute that you are. Your symptoms are not in your head any more than mine or Charla's are. The doctors are under pre$$ure to treat as many patients as possible in the time they have so they tend to treat the symptoms rather than do much investigative work, which can be costly and time consuming. Understandably and unfortunately, these types of chronic conditions don't seem to merit the same amount of attention as certain other acute and potentially deadly conditions.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 02-23-2008 at 09:56 PM.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
    Christina128
    (female)

Christina128 HB User

you should check out anxiety.. i have anxiety and i get the tightness in the neck and in the chest if i get to stressed.. it also gives you fears that you could be or will have a heart attack

Old 02-28-2008, 01:39 PM   #9
    aussiejono
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

aussiejono HB User

"What do you do to feel better?"

1. Take a Prilosec OTC tablet each day

2. Take 20ml of Gaviscon whenever you feel pain/discomfort

If this doesnt stop the pain, then it isnt reflux.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
    edahl874
    (female)

edahl874 HB User

Laurie.. what kind of pain do you have specifically? Is it a tightness or sharp pain? I can certainly relate to how you are feeling tho! Its so frustrating when others can't relate and doctors dismiss your concerns as overreaction. I have had acid reflux since I was 15, 20 now. I have tried many different prescriptions and over the counter meds but the only thing that seems to work is Nexium. It subdues my heartburn quite a bit but I still a nauseous and vomit almost every day. Its not really throwing up food but a spontaneous urge to puke and its always acid. Last night I had really sharp pains that felt like they were under my left breast. I have also had panic attacks before so tightness in the chest is a completely different feeling. What aggrevates your acid reflux most? For me food isn't the issue so much as stress which I can't manage. Maybe you should see a psychiatrist to get on an anti-anxiety medication. Also, sleeping with a lot of pillows pisses me off lol why should i have to sleep sitting up?!?!??? haha GOOD LUCK! : )

Last edited by edahl874; 02-28-2008 at 02:09 PM.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:08 PM   #11
    aussiejono
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

aussiejono HB User

Have you seen a gastroenterologist, and have you had a full physical exam from your GP?

Old 02-29-2008, 01:57 PM   #12
    baserockermom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

baserockermom HB User

I had to take Pepcid Complete every night until a Fibromyalgia diagnosis led me to a Lyrica subscription. That stopped my nightly problem, but all day, that's gotta stink!

Old 02-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #13
    laurietrib
    (female)

laurietrib HB User

I'm beginning to think my pain is somewhat anxiety related. The more nervous I get that it might be worse than GERD etc., the more I seem to be in pain. I also have thought of it being fibro. I just don't feel like I can talk to any of my doctors. I have a cardio I see every 4 months, and I like him and trust him. I have seen a gasto doc, and have had a scope, but I cant take any of the meds because they just make everything worse. I also have seen a neuro doctor and had many tests with him. I currently don't have a GP.

I cant really describe the pain well. I guess I would say in the center of my chest somewhere from my stomach to my neck there is pain. Sometimes it just is an ache and sometimes it is a burning, and other times its like a pinch of sharp pain. At night, if I have it, I have to sit up and it goes away. Food is not necessarily the cause of my pain either. Sometimes it just is there, and then I can go for awhile and it is gone. Then out of the blue it is back again. No matter what I do. I will say there are certain foods I just cannot eat, like chili or spagetti. Those are big no-no's.

Thanks everyone for replying, I really appreciate your input.

Closed Thread