It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Acid reflux and vomitting?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-27-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
    Shellbel78
    (female)

Shellbel78 HB User
    Acid reflux and vomitting?

Do any of you throw up with Acid reflux? My son's been getting sick like every 3-4 weeks. I took him to the Dr and he ruled out acid reflux because he said my son would feel alot of pain before he would start vomiting. But the hospital said he has acid reflux without doing any sort of test besides having him jump up and down.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
    Re: Acid reflux and vomitting?

1st, you must distinguish between "vomiting" and "regurgitating". GERD/reflux problems do not cause vomiting. You CAN have regurgitation into the mouth, etc.

Regurgitation is an incidental slippage of below-mouth contents into and/or out of the mouth, because there is little control in the upper tract.

Vomiting is the getting-sick thing, where the STOMACH forcefully and deliberately expels its own contents. The tummy will indeed seem like a muscle rather than just sitting there. As a result, sometimes you feel like your gut has had a work-out after a session - exactly because it did!

In theory, GERD problems are the very definition of regurgitation - if the sphincter down there is just open, you have no control over the stomach contents moving by gravity, e.g. Extreme case, you'd have an open sphincter, and standing on your head, everything would just dump out because there is nothing "sealing" the stomach.

Probably another sign of vomiting is how much he emits and how repetitive it is. With true vomiting, basically you suffer several heaves in a row at least - the stomach is really working it. Regurgitation probably seems only accidental, that he just found he has a load to get rid of, and probably only comes out once instead of repeated heavings.

I don't know why your son would have to feel any kind of "pain" from GERD regurgitation. It just happens.

Last edited by Ol'Line Rebel; 02-27-2008 at 11:54 AM.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
    Hayles
    (female)

Hayles HB User
    Re: Acid reflux and vomitting?

i had Acid reflux for a very long time before it was accurately diagnose, each time i had cramping pains before i eventually throw up and the pain lesson.

Closed Thread