It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• does gerd come with palpitations?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2008, 10:55 PM   #1
    chiqui64
    (female)

chiqui64 HB User
    does gerd come with palpitations?

when gerd come with palpitations am i suposed to take omeprazole right away or wait for it to subside?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2008, 07:29 AM   #2
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
    Re: does gerd come with palpitations?

While it seems only sometimes acknowledged by medical sites, there are many on these fora who have experienced some kind of heart palpitations oddly in tune with their reflux problems.

I had some quite regularly while lying in bed to sleep the month or so BEFORE I KNEW I had a serious problem (that was "reflux").

I had some after that, but not that much. I won't count what happened when I was on Reglan, but it does give you a clue.

I think this indicates that you are having some problem with the vagus nerve/autonomic nervous system. These things control not only your stomach movement and sphincter action, but your heart rate, etc. I can't help but wonder if people with some palps as well as reflux show that they actually are having nerve problems more than just "bad muscles".

Old 03-06-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

along the thought of the vagus nerve.. it is also a thought that the reflux itself irritates the vague nerve, thus traveling up and setting off the palpatations. I get increased palpatations myself when my GERD is acting up.. I had an episode a year ago where I was getting it constantly. I had heart tests and monitors done which showed I had SVT (tachycardia) which is benign, but they couldn't find the trigger (I've had the palpatations for years, but very infrequently). It wasn't until after I went through all the tests that my throat started getting sore and my voice started getting hoarse which I automatically knew was my reflux acting up.. it must have been doing so "Silently" and I wasn't aware of it and it was setting off the palpatations. I have other triggers, but I'm confident that is one! I upped my dose of the Prevacid and the palpatations subsided.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #4
    DKTemp
    (male)

DKTemp HB User

I agree that their could be nerve triggers which make palpitations come along with GERD.

Also, though, keep in mind that GERD can be caused or at least inflamed by anxiety. Amd anxiety can also cause palps. In my case, I have had GERD for years, but just recently (in the last few months) have started having palps regularly, especially at night. I believe it was caused because my general anxiety level increased due to problems at work.

Closed Thread