It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Prilosec and Doxycycline

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-04-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
    ChampRJ
    (male)

ChampRJ HB User
    Prilosec and Doxycycline

My dentist gave me a 2 week prescription for Doxycycline for a minor gum infection. He told me I could not eat dairy products for 1 hour prior to or 1 hour after taking this drug and the possible diarrhea issues.

However, I did not tell him I take Prilosec on a daily basis. I read online that you should not take this drug with Tums or Rolaids but does that also extend to Prilosec? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ChampRJ; 03-04-2008 at 02:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
    greg1x
    (male)

greg1x HB User
    Smile Re: Prilosec and Doxycycline

Greetings. I am a dentist. Prilosec is not an issue. It is not the acid suppression that is the issue with the tums , rolaids, and dairy products. The issue with all teracyclines (not just doxy) is the the calcium in these products, The tetracyclines tend to bond with calcium thus lessening the effectiveness. Greg

However, I did not tell him I take Prilosec on a daily basis. I read online that you should not take this drug with Tums or Rolaids but does that also extend to Prilosec? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Following User Says Thank You to greg1x For This Useful Post:
    makeworldgoaway (10-14-2012)
    Old 03-05-2008, 08:29 AM   #3
    ChampRJ
    (male)

ChampRJ HB User
    Re: Prilosec and Doxycycline

Thank you very much!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gaugreg1x View Post
    Greetings. I am a dentist. Prilosec is not an issue. It is not the acid suppression that is the issue with the tums , rolaids, and dairy products. The issue with all teracyclines (not just doxy) is the the calcium in these products, The tetracyclines tend to bond with calcium thus lessening the effectiveness. Greg

Old 03-05-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
    tiredpoet
    Veteran
    (female)

tiredpoet HB User

That's interesting because I take Prilosec and was prescribed tetracycline for Lyme Disease treatment. My Lyme doctor told me to absolutely not take the Prilosec within 2 hours of the tetracycline--which is somewhat difficult to time considering I take the tetracycline several times a day (dose is 1500 mg). At my next appointment I am going to ask him why.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
    greg1x
    (male)

greg1x HB User

This is very interesting. I have double checked and can find no mention of this. All I can find additionally is:
    It is recommended that tetracycline not be taken at the same time as aluminum-, magnesium-, or calcium- based antacids, such as Mylanta, Maalox, Tums, or Rolaids since, like food, these compounds bind tetracycline in the intestine. Similarly, tetracycline should not be taken with minerals (such as calcium or iron), with bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol) or with dairy products.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tiredpoet View Post
    That's interesting because I take Prilosec and was prescribed tetracycline for Lyme Disease treatment. My Lyme doctor told me to absolutely not take the Prilosec within 2 hours of the tetracycline--which is somewhat difficult to time considering I take the tetracycline several times a day (dose is 1500 mg). At my next appointment I am going to ask him why.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:20 AM   #6
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I think the issue with Prilosec is not the "interaction" of the drugs, but by reducing the stomach acid it may reduce absorbtion of the meds. I would take it 2 hours apart to be safe.

Last edited by wakkochic17; 03-06-2008 at 08:22 AM.

Closed Thread