It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Is this LPR?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
    Robert7920
    (male)

Robert7920 HB User
    Is this LPR?

I developed a chronic dry cough back around October or November that has progressively gotten worse. Coincidently back then on was on 800mg motrin 3x/day for about 3-4 weeks.

I do not have any hoarseness at all, just a dry cough with a tickle and the urge to cough almost all day long. Some days by dinner time the urge to cough goes away.

What is weird is that when I lay down, the urge to cough goes away. I do not cough during my sleep, and when I awake, if I lay there in bed for a few minutes I don't have the urge to cough or the tickle. As soon as I get up, I get a cough.

The tickle and urge to cough actually goes away or subsides whenever I do anything physical like workout, jog etc. It also seems to go away while I'm eating and sometimes for a little while after that. This all seems to be the opposite of what should be happening with LPR.

Back in January I started Nexium 1x a day and it seemed to work for a couple of weeks. But then my cough came back. So, I'm not sure if it was a coicincidene then or not. So, after reading up s little more I started the Nexium 2x a day (morning and dinner last Thursday) and that was not helping. Today I started taking 2 at one time in the morning to see if that helps. So far today has been better, but it's proably too soon to tell. The only other symptom I have is that my throat started hurting about 9 days ago. It is nothing like a sore throat though as it isn't that burning feeling but more of pain.

Does this sound like LPR? Can you have LPR with voice problems? Does it make sense that the cough goes away during excercise, sleep, and eating?

Any help would be appreciated.

Robert

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #2
    yeahzach3
    (female)

yeahzach3 HB User
    Re: Is this LPR?

Robert,
    Sounds like it could be LPR. I don't have a problem with it lying down or when I am sleeping either. The cough I don't get too often, but I have had it. They say most people with LPR have upright symptoms, meaning they don't have the same problem as people with GERD where it comes up on them in bed at night. My throat is always a little sore in the morning, kind of a burning feeling then that usually will go away and I do have a pain sometimes in my throat. Some people very few symptoms and others have every one known to man. Sometimes my left ear will hurt also and it feels as if the side of the throat on that side is swelling. It is very unnerving since I do suffer from anxiety as well, so I can project it to be 50 times worse than it really is. I go back to my ENT Dr. tomorrow to get it rechecked and get my prescription renewed, it has been bugging me for a month now, usually it doesn't, usually when I get it its for about 10 days and then I'm good for a few months, that is when I'm taking the Protonix regularly. About a month ago when I got my prescription refilled, I didn't notice they gave me generic, I didn't even think about it until I saw a post on here about it. So I started my real Protonix last night, hopefully it will make me feel better soon. As for the exercise, I don't really work out. I do yard work and stuff like that, but usually have my kids around, so not a lot of time for gyms. Do an internet search and see what you find on LPR symptoms, and not all websites have all the same symptoms. I think LPR is fairly new as a diagnosis, I'm sure it has been around for a long time, but you just don't hear about it that much, so search around a bit and see what you find.

I can tell you that one of the main symptoms for me is feeling like you have mucus in your throat alot. I am always clearing it, and sometimes when I actually get some of it up, it is just clear. They say that is your bodys way of protecting the voice box from the acid.

Sorry for going on so long, but I hope this helps. Keep me posted to let me know if the medication works for you.

Closed Thread