It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Any success treating yeast to eliminate gerd?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
    Jade0724
    (female)

Jade0724 HB User
    Any success treating yeast to eliminate gerd?

I was recently diagnosed with too much yeast in my gi tract by my current homeopathic doc who is also an md. Anyhow, wondering if anyone has had success treating yeast to eliminate gerd? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User
    Re: Any success treating yeast to eliminate gerd?

WOW Jade,

Great Minds I just came here to post about the same thing!!! I just finished a course of oral prednisone - and I have an over growth of yeast now - in my stomach, throat and mouth. I am looking for natural cures.

I have read rinsing with apple cider vinegar, also going on a low carb diet (as carbs feed yeast) - high protein with low starch veggies - no grains, breads, pastas, fruits, etc. Also adding yogurt with low sugar and probiotics to get the balance back. I am trying all of these things.

Was hoping someone else had some suggestions as well??

My Drs. suggestion - another pill Diflucan (an antifungal) -- I am so SICK of taking medication for something - and that medication making me SICK with something else -- ARGHHHH - looking for long lasting more natural methods.

Thanks

Vanessa

Old 03-25-2008, 06:23 AM   #3
    Jade0724
    (female)

Jade0724 HB User

Ha ha Vanessa, thats funny that you were about to post the same thing. I follow up from my test results with the doc on Mon Mar 31. I have an idea that the treatment plan is going to be meds like diflucan for some time in addition to natural supplements that will keep it away once the meds are done. Now, have you had gerd prior to the yeast thing? Right now I am wondering if I had the yeast first which caused the gerd or if many years (6+) of taking PPIs has caused the yeast...Im hoping its the first option obviously. We will see. I try not to come on the boards too much either bc sometimes I think its more harm then good, but for things like this I would love some other opinions or similar experiences. I too am exploring the all natural route and I do see a day in the future where this will all be over, just not sure when or how! ha I will keep you posted for sure on my results. Who knows...maybe I will be cured in a couple weeks like the doc thinks! Im skeptical but positive

Old 03-25-2008, 07:22 AM   #4
    Kellir
    (female)

Kellir HB User

Ive been having problems with vaginal yeast(sorry guys), do any other girls have the same problem? I always thought that it had to do with my reflux, i never had that problem in my life until I got acid reflux.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:08 AM   #5
    Jade0724
    (female)

Jade0724 HB User

Hi Kellir! Yes, I have had similar issues. Usually its with the use of antibiotics, but sometimes out of no where. This has been happening since my late teenage years. About 3-4x/year which Im told for the first time ever, by my homeopathic doc that this is NOT normal. All of my history points in the direction that this could be the cause of my gerd since I was diagnosed the same year I took very strong antibiotics for a bout of mono/strep throat that lasted on and off 7 months! I also took antibiotics daily for a year or so for acne. If it turns out the yeast treatment cures my gerd, I will be soooo happy, but I will also be so disappointed in the medical community! All my docs including ENT, Family, and Gastro were aware of the fact that I had taken tons of antibiotics prior to my diagnosis. Stress also plays a role as well for me, as symptoms worsened and became daily after a tragic death in the family. I notice my sysmptoms worsen or lessen with stress levels. I will definitely keep you posted. I hope I can post a healing story here soon!!

Also, I started taking probiotics religiously and received relief of the above mentioned problem. I would seek out a good homeopathic doc who will take a look at the whole body and try to get to the root cause not just treat your symptoms. Symptoms are just that and getting rid of them not knowing the cause will not eliminate the problem. This of course is my opinion. Keep in mind that the homeopathic route can take a lot longer to find permanent symptom relief. I have been going to mine for about 3 months now. But in my mind any time and $$ is worth not having to take meds for the rest of my life. And, the alternative being surgery is just out of the question for me. Good luck and I will keep posting for sure!

Old 03-25-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Hi Kelli & Jade,

Yes, I too have suffered from the same 'yeast' issues. They started when I was 19 and on antibiotics for a UTI - then the cycle - antibiotics and then the yeast .....

I am now 34 - and I do believe that maybe the yeast is causing at least SOME of my recently BAD GERD..... I take Flovent (an inhaled steroid for asthma) - that can cause yeast overgrowth...

I have been prescribed Diflucan - and actually have it here - but am afraid to take it. In the past few years I have had to deal with some major health issues due to medication side effects.... So that is why I am searching so hard for a 'natural' method that I can maintain.

I have 'breathing problems' with my GERD - severe at times - and am just now starting to wonder if the yeast is a connection with that as well. I have been doing the 'low carb, low yeast' eating plan - using the apple cider vinegar, and eating yogurt with probiotics - I know it will take time so I will try and be as patient as I can

If I found out any good info on the yeast connection - I will post. Please do the same

Vanessa

Old 03-27-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
    Kellir
    (female)

Kellir HB User

Its comforting to hear that other women are having the same problems. Im having a yeast prob down there right now, its not an infection, i dont think i should go into detail lol. It seems that the yeast never really goes away, i hate it. I think i am going to try to eliminate yeast from my diet. Seems like it would be hard to do though = /

Old 03-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #8
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

It is SO HARD to do -- Oh my goodness.....

I am struggling with the Oral Thrush - as well as the other issue. I have added Probiotic Yogurt, reduced my Carb intake - rinsing/brushing 3 times per day. It is a slow and PAINFUL process.....

I have read adding Garlic and Acidopholus will help as well - anyone try that?

Trying to reduce carbs and cut back yeast - WHILE trying to eat right for my GERD is almost IMPOSSIBLE.... I am very frustrated....

Grrr..... Thanks for listening

Last edited by Vanessa74; 03-27-2008 at 05:25 PM.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #9
    Kellir
    (female)

Kellir HB User

i hope you get some relief soon vanessa! this disease is just freakin terrible isnt it. but im not really helping anything when im sitting here munchin on pizza rolls, i dont think ill ever learn =/

Old 03-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #10
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Kellir,

I AM SO WITH YA!!!! I am SO SICK of the probiotic yogurt - and eating limited carbs -- I COULD SCREAM!!!! I am already on a modified diet for GERD and now this????

Good news though - the thrush in mouth cleared WITHOUT having to take the Diflucan... I must admit though - I am still considering taking it because I am starting to wonder if my throat/chest tightness, tickling, itching in ear canal and at the back of my throat - etc. might be thrush that I cannot see???

Any thought on Oral Thrush in the throat causing tightness or breathing problems?

I would LOVE to have a large SUPREME PIZZA WITH EVERYTHING right now but alas - I will plow forward another day!!!!!

We will find our answer some day - we just need to hang in there together!!

nessa

Old 03-30-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
    kms337
    (female)

kms337 HB User

You are not alone. Don't mean to get too personal but here are a few directions I followed from A wonderful OBGYN and they have worked. However some people are prone to yeast infection due to candida (your body overproduces something).

1. when wiping yourself make sure the area between your rectum and vaginal area gets cleaned. (sorry I had to explain)

2. Cut back on coffee, teas

3. do not use powder or spray's

4. Prior to having intercourse have your partner bathe (if possible)

These steps helped me.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:48 PM   #12
    kms337
    (female)

kms337 HB User

I have had Gerd also, the couple of things I have done is slow down my eating and not mixing certain foods.

I think part of it is hormonal - because since I've had my hystorechtomy, last year, I've had minimal problems with Gerd as-well-as yeast infections. Although the hystorechtomy was necessary, hopefully - no-one else has to go through it.

I've also taken Ematrol or Imatrol (spelling) (naseua over-the-counter) for my heartburn, it works.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:12 PM   #13
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago and it does not seem to have made a difference one way or another.

Although - I do only seem to get 'those types' of infections 2 to 4 times per year. I try to follow all the rules - but I get them regardless.

I am beginning to suspect that the inhaler I am on for asthma 'Flovent' may be causing thrush in my mouth, throat, and stomach that I cannot see - and at times it FLARES causing the infection to spread.. That is my theory anyway!!!

I am also suspecting that this 'yeast' issue may be exacerbating my GERD and contributing to breathing problems. I have the antifungal medication - but that is a temporary solution - as right now I am stuck on the Flovent. I need a long term plan to rid myself of the yeast and keep my body cleansed.

Perhaps spending some $$$ on quality acidopholus and garlic supplements may be the next thing that I try - as I am TIRED of the yogurt!!!!!

Vanessa

Closed Thread