It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• constant throat clearing HELP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
    richard106
    (male)

richard106 HB User
    constant throat clearing HELP!

Well, I'll just start...I'm a 34 year old male, in shape and not over weight. About 2 yrs ago I started having to constantly clear my throat, specially after I ate something. I went to the doctor and he said I have GERD and prescirbed me Protonix. I took that for 2 months with no results. Then he gave me Prevacid for 3 to 4 months with no results. My throat clearing was getting severe at this point and he gave me Reglan on top of the Prevacid. Still nothing was working. I had a upper GI done and it only showed moderate reflux. I continued taking Prevacid, Reglan, and also Carafate. This went on for over a year and the throat clearing was not getting better at all and at times very sevre. The throat clearing had become an all day and all night constant problem. However he told me to continue the drugs. I tried changing my diet and also no results. Wether I was lying down or standing up it doesnt matter I have to clear my throat. Then I had a endoscope done and it showed I had no hiatal hernia or ulcers only moderate to severe reflux. I also did the pH monitor and it showed the same thing. By the way I NEVER HAVE HAD HEARTBURN. But all the doctors, ENT, GI or others keep wanting to treat me as though I have heartburn. I have taken all the drugs you could possibly take for this so called GERD. The only time I dont have to constantly clear my throat is when I drink beer. I have tried excluding certain foods including alcohol but this never goes away. So i drink beer every once in a while for some relief. I have been dealing with this for over 2 yrs now and nothing has changed. My next step is to see a allergy doctor but I'm doubtful of any help. I NEVER HAVE HEARTBURN...........HELP

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2008, 04:29 AM   #2
    greg1x
    (male)

greg1x HB User
    Red face Re: constant throat clearing HELP!

This is most certainly reflux , even though you are not experiencing typical heartburn symptoms. Although not to your extent, I have the throat clearing symptoms also, especially after large or high fat meals. In your case it almost sounds like you do it so much it is habitual. I feel for you.
    Greg

Old 03-29-2008, 06:50 AM   #3
    bubblegirl
    Veteran
    (female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User
    Re: constant throat clearing HELP!

I have the same symptoms- for 7 years now! I have never had heart burn, just throat clearing, cough & bad chest pain occasionally when I lie down. I'm on Nexium which helps a bit but it's still there. I sleep on a wedge which props me up, & this certainly does help. It's a miserable complaint! Best of luck- hope you feel better soon!

Old 03-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
    hilda02
    (female)

hilda02 HB Userhilda02 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by richard106 View Post
    Well, I'll just start...I'm a 34 year old male, in shape and not over weight. About 2 yrs ago I started having to constantly clear my throat, specially after I ate something. I went to the doctor and he said I have GERD and prescirbed me Protonix. I took that for 2 months with no results. Then he gave me Prevacid for 3 to 4 months with no results. My throat clearing was getting severe at this point and he gave me Reglan on top of the Prevacid. Still nothing was working. I had a upper GI done and it only showed moderate reflux. I continued taking Prevacid, Reglan, and also Carafate. This went on for over a year and the throat clearing was not getting better at all and at times very sevre. The throat clearing had become an all day and all night constant problem. However he told me to continue the drugs. I tried changing my diet and also no results. Wether I was lying down or standing up it doesnt matter I have to clear my throat. Then I had a endoscope done and it showed I had no hiatal hernia or ulcers only moderate to severe reflux. I also did the pH monitor and it showed the same thing. By the way I NEVER HAVE HAD HEARTBURN. But all the doctors, ENT, GI or others keep wanting to treat me as though I have heartburn. I have taken all the drugs you could possibly take for this so called GERD. The only time I dont have to constantly clear my throat is when I drink beer. I have tried excluding certain foods including alcohol but this never goes away. So i drink beer every once in a while for some relief. I have been dealing with this for over 2 yrs now and nothing has changed. My next step is to see a allergy doctor but I'm doubtful of any help. I NEVER HAVE HEARTBURN...........HELP

Old 03-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
    hilda02
    (female)

hilda02 HB Userhilda02 HB User

I also have had constant throat clearing on and off for about four years had every test under the sun then had barium meal showed absolutely nothing. Back to the doctors again as i then began to suffer with tight band under rib cage Decided to do endoscopy gross. This showed up gastric erosions hiatus hernia ?barratts oesophagus and oesophageal ulcer help. Sometimes some tests dont show up anything as you can see. I am now on nexium twice daily which has definately helped with the throat clearing sometimes i felt as if i was going to choke. Unfortunately it has done nothing for the tight band under my ribcage and bloated feeling. Hope something turns up for you soon as i started to hope they would find something and low and behold they did.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #6
    richard106
    (male)

richard106 HB User

Thanks for yall's in-put.......This may sound a little stange but can you get a yeast infection in your throat or stomach that could cause acid reflux?

Old 03-30-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Yeah - I have one right now - and it is TOUGH to get rid of.

Your Dr. can prescribe an antifungal medication (Nystatin, Diflucan, etc.)

You can also try adding acidophilus and garlic pills to your daily regimen, limiting carb & sugar intake, to see if that helps.

Good luck to you!

Vanessa

The following user gives a hug of support to Vanessa74:
    hilda02 (01-08-2011)
    Closed Thread