It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Natural cures for GERD, good or bad?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
    MissH01607
    (female)

MissH01607 HB User
    Natural cures for GERD, good or bad?

Hi there!

I am pretty new to this site, but I hope I can learn a lot, and maybe give some advice to those who need it.

I was disgnosed with GERD on February 1, 2008. I started noticing stomach pain and nausea around the end of last October when I stoped taking BC pills (they made me nauseous). I eventually got a prescription for the nausea and that went away. I still had the stomach pain, and I went to the doctors a few times and I was put on Prilosec OTC. So when February 1st came, that's when I found out when I had a Upper GI tract series done at the hospital.

I have been feeling somewhat better taking the Prilosec OTC (now actually on the Omeprazole due to the lesser price) 2x/day but the doctor wants me to cut down the PPI's to 1/day vs 2/day soon.
    The issue I am dealing with is the stomach pain and the once in a while nausea. I also not too long ago felt like there was acid in my throat (yuck!) that lasted for about 2 days.

So right now I am taking Prilosec OTC in the AM, Probiotic supplements (4 hours later roughly), and I recently started eating Acitivia yogurt which has Probiotics in it.

My question is.... has anyone tried or had any good luck with trying out Apple Cider Vinegar? I read somewhere online about this stuff, being an old-time remedy, and I found this as a remedial option in a book that a friend of mine owns. I mix 2 tsps of Bragg's raw organic vinegar with water, and add a little honey to it and I drink it twice/day. I doesn't taste horrible but it doesn't taste good. It reminds me of drinking balsamic viniagrette dressing. Well I have been doing this for almost 4 days and I have barely or not at all have pain in my stomach. How long do I continue this for, and could I go back to maybe some of the things that I have to avoid??? It may be a longshot but just curious...

Thanks for reading and any suggestions would be very helpful!
    -Heather

Last edited by MissH01607; 03-30-2008 at 12:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User
    Re: Natural cures for GERD, good or bad?

Let me know how the applie cider vinegar works for you please - I had to gargle with it for 4 days (oral thrush) - and it burned my mouth so badly - I had blisters in there. I am TERRFIED to drink it??

If it works though - I would try it - I'd be afraid but I would try it

Right now I take Extra Strength Pepcid A/c AM & PM - have an XTREMELY modified diet (no tomatos, citrus, chocolate, fat, red meat, limited dairy, no onions/garlic, and on and on and on) - elevate the head of my bed - no eating after 6:30PM, etc. - it helps my GERD a little - but I continue with the chest tightness and breathing problems and at times - severe burning acid (tried PPI's - they made me WORSE)....

So, if the vinegar works or not - please let me know. Hope you feel better SOON.

Vanessa

Old 03-30-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
    MissH01607
    (female)

MissH01607 HB User
    Re: Natural cures for GERD, good or bad?

Hi Vanessa,

Well I started drinking the Apple Cider Vinegar Wenesday night(?) or Thursday, and as of right now (Sunday night), I have experienced little or no pain.
    What I do (and from the directions on the bottle) is add 2 teaspoons of this stuff to 8oz. of water and about 1 tsp or 2 of honey. I did not have any honey at first so the taste was something I had to get used to, but if you drink it with a straw, it's easier to drink. Adding the honey does break up the not-so-great taste so if you don't have any honey, go get some.
    The brand of the vinegar you need to get is called Bragg's Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. This is the brand that will help the most. I was able to find it at GNC, or this vitamin store called The Vitmain Shoppe. You can also find it at Vitamin World. Not sure if you have heard of those names (depending on where you live), but you can try your local vitamin store.

I am still avoiding the stuff we cannot have.. ie: tomatoes, citric foods such as oranges/juice, coffee, chocolate, onions, fatty foods, etc. However I accidentally ate some tomatoes(pico de gallo) today when my boyfriend and I went out for some burritos. We ate each others meals by mistake, but for some strange reason the tomatoes never affected my stomach and I was OK!

I am sorry to hear about your not-so-fun experience with the vinegar. Which brand did you try, and did you have it alone or with something else... ie: water?
    I am hoping this is a start for a less painful life ahead of me. I am going to call my doctor's office tomorrow just to make sure it is ok to mix it with the Prilosec and Probiotic supplements I am taking, but I called a pharmacist today where I go to get my normal prescriptions and he said it was ok to have in addition. We will see!

Let me know how your experience with the vinegar goes, and thanks for the well wishes!

Closed Thread