It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• GERD/LPR - symptom or syndrome?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
    lpriffic
    (male)

lpriffic HB User
    GERD/LPR - symptom or syndrome?

Hello all,

I last posted on this board a month or so ago about all the issues I was having in my throat/ears/neck/head/stomach. After reading many of the posts on this board, speaking with several people, and doing some experimenting with food, I have come to a conclusion. I often hear GERD/LPR discussed as a syndrome, i.e., something that we just 'get' one day that is not caused by anything in particular but rather just happens. However, I've come to the conclusion that rather than a syndrome in and of itself, GERD/LPR is but a mere symptom of some other issue with our body.

There have been numerous posts on this board acknowledging the benefit of reducing stress, changing a diet, exercising, etc. I think the reason that certain steps work for some but not for others is that we all have our triggers that really set-off the symptoms - for me it was STRESS and certain foods. Come to find out that I had an undiagnosed gluten and dairy intolerance. Once I cut these foods out of my life, I felt 100% better after only three or four days. However, I had a very stressful day at work last week, and that entire day I felt like someone was standing on my throat and my ears were going to explode! Since then I have been very careful to remain calm and remember that life is too short to be stressed-out.

I guess the point of this post is to encourage all of you who still feel as though there is no cure to at least try and think about GERD/LPR in a different way. Instead of looking for medicine, etc. to treat the symptom, look for what in your life might be causing the symptoms - stress, food intolerance/allergies, physical defects, etc.

I remember reading several posts on this board where people talked about their miracle cure. As I sat there reading, feeling like complete crap, I wanted to find whoever wrote the post and throw them down a flight of stairs. I truly hope my post isn't causing anyone to feel this way about me; I really just want to help all of you feel like I do - like we all use to feel before this crap started.

God bless.

Jeremy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2008, 10:23 AM   #2
    stimi3ak
    (female)

stimi3ak HB User
    Re: GERD/LPR - symptom or syndrome?

I appreciate it! Thanks for posting this and giving people like me hope. I have been dealing with severe stomach issues/LPR and various other GERD related illnesses which have led to shortness of breath. I am now living with the shortness of breath every day and constantly it feels like someone is standing on my throat and chest.

I have cut out gluten foods and will continue trying to work on the "stress" aspect.

Good luck to you and I am happy for your success!

Closed Thread